Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

It feels so grindy.

So yeah, I bought GW2. Played nearly half a day today and you know, I don't really get the whole "redefining the genre" they were prophesizing. The game looks and feels very polished, and the graphics and attention to detail are absolutely stunning. Having said that, I feel extremely "meh" about world events. The idea was that they were supposed to make the world feel alive, but so far I honestly can't say that I get that feeling. Maybe this is only true for low levels, but they feel very simplistic and repetitive. But the worst part is that the events fail to actually connect me to the world.

Lets say I'm running somewhere and the event pops up. I see some monsters attacking some place (or maybe defending some place) and I'm invited to kill them. But I don't understand neither 1) what that place is 2) who are the bad guys 3) why are they attacking it 4) why should I even care? Furthermore, events seem to happen very frequently, and the same event always happens in the same place, so in the end they really just feel like good old "bear asses" quests that you just don't need to specifically pick up. The only difference is that you have to hunt for them in the world, instead of grabbing them in the closest village. And since most events have very simplistic objectives, it just feels like all I'm doing is grinding monsters.

Just an example - in low Charr zone there's a place with old overgrown statue of some ancient deity. When you approach, you get a random event to kill monsters near the statue. That's basically it. Only because I played GW1, I remember this place, and the statue, and I kinda know what's going on. If I didn't - it would just be a simple "hey, there's some monster here, kill them. Done? Thanks, here's some xp, keep going".

I do like the personal quest, and I would most likely continue to play until 80 just to see the beautiful zones and play through the personal story, I just really wish there were more stories in this game.
    Last edited by namelessone; 2012-09-01 at 08:01 PM.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

So wait, none of that has to do with "grinding"? I'm confused by your title.
    Last edited by Starry101; 2012-09-01 at 08:26 PM.

maybe start a human first. Its pretty simple to understand bandits trying to pillage farmlands.

All you're doing is grinding monsters? Play a Fantasy MMO that doesn't make you kill monsters

Just a question, do you use the scouts?

grind is subjective...something you feel grind maybe I find it fun while something I feel grind you find it fun...for me grind is dailies. I have to do it every day, the same exactly quests...Now the game doesn't only have events..you can gather materials and get decent xp, you can explore points in the world, explore the cities and get decent XP. Craft your gear and you get levels.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Try some of the jumping puzzles, those are really fun. Do the meta event in Queensdale-in the swamp. The Shadow Behemoth. It was epic! It's like a 40-man raid boss, in the middle of a swamp. You get a huge chest of goodies at the end, too. Try WvW and other PvP. Just trying to make helpful suggestions.

There can't be a sprawling story to every dynamic event, and even if there was most people would skip it. That's why you walk into an area, get into a quest then the quest log tells you what needs to be done, Arenanet knew most people don't bother with the back story. Afraid personal story and the elder dragons are the only thing that's gonna give you the story you really crave.
    Last edited by Urshanabi; 2012-09-01 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    1) what that place is 2) who are the bad guys 3) why are they attacking it 4) why should I even care?
    Then immerse yourself. I'm sorry, but you're never going to get this kind of thing unless you get yourself into the lore behind the zone you're in. Listen to the NPCs, specifically the scouts. Read the "quest text" you're supplied.

I know I've actually felt for many of the characters I've helped during events, because I understood why I was helping them and why it was important. Unlike finding "Princess" or collecting 4 wolf pelts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    Then immerse yourself. I'm sorry, but you're never going to get this kind of thing unless you get yourself into the lore behind the zone you're in. Listen to the NPCs, specifically the scouts. Read the "quest text" you're supplied.

I know I've actually felt for many of the characters I've helped during events, because I understood why I was helping them and why it was important. Unlike finding "Princess" or collecting 4 wolf pelts.
    I was one of those who jumped to GW without knowing anything about it. no betas no GW1. I only read the lore to get a picture of what's going on. I've fallen to it and i've never found myself kiling stuff randomly. everything you do connects with the events of the zone you are in, you just need to read and not skip story mode.
    I guess you just have to like the setting to immerse yourself.

You can understand most (if not all) of the dynamic events by just reading what the NPCs say while scorting them or while defending their village, or by talking to the scouts around the map, you can usually tell what´s going on.

Usually the scouts will tell you something like "Over there in XXX camp, the members of the Priory are studying the ancient relics of blah blah blah, but the ghosts of the blah blah blah are giving them a hard time". when you get to the XXX camp, and you see an event of a huge ghost coming to attack, it´s pretty obvious that the ghost is trying to take back the relics, or make the Priory members run away. :x Usually works that way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesthos View Post
    I was one of those who jumped to GW without knowing anything about it. no betas no GW1. I only read the lore to get a picture of what's going on. I've fallen to it and i've never found myself kiling stuff randomly. everything you do connects with the events of the zone you are in, you just need to read and not skip story mode.
    I guess you just have to like the setting to immerse yourself.
    I am in the same boat, that I knew basically nothing about the universe. The only difference is, I am interested in my personal story, but the normal quests? I do stuff but have no idea why. I am reading every letter I get after a quest but I still get the feeling of "Why am I actually doing this?". I don't even know why that is, maybe I just want to know what I do before I do it and not just get a "thank you" after finishing it. I am also listening to the scouts if possible (sometimes, especially in lower level zones, I just roamd through the zone and find the hearts on my own, and scouts don't tell you stuff after you finished their hearts), but they also don't give much information.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    So wait, none of that has to do with "grinding"? I'm confused by your title.
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    When you approach, you get a random event to kill monsters near the statue. That's basically it. Only because I played GW1, I remember this place, and the statue, and I kinda know what's going on. If I didn't - it would just be a simple "hey, there's some monster here, kill them. Done? Thanks, here's some xp, keep going".
    Doesn't that sound a bit like grinding? Just roaming around and looking for these events?

I can honestly say i havent cared about leveling at all. All ive done is logged on and had fun doing random events, some heart quests and completing zones and im level 63. It doesnt feel grindy to me because im having fun, doing what i would be doing even if none of it gave exp, but fortunately it does!

This thread will end in semantic discussions about the definition of "grinding" I guess. D:
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by vemynal View Post
    Doesn't that sound a bit like grinding? Just roaming around and looking for these events?
    Not really. To me grinding is repeating the same thing over and over with little reward. GW2 is extremely fast to level, without even really trying hard, you move through the areas quite quickly so it doesn't get too repetitive. Try playing a game like tera at high level and you'll get what grinding really is.

Today i decided to get 100% on all starting areas and some of the areas i've been already.
    I spent nearly 3-4 hours just running around, getting vistas and POIs and taking screenshots. Sometimes i'd find some place i remember from GW1 (Like the Floating Castle in Kryta) and i had a blast.

And i gained 3 levels in the process.

Grinding ? Hell, no.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyasashi View Post
    What I profoundly remember from GW1 are Invincimonks and suddenly 250 years later (GW2) there are no monks ))

No roles is to me one of the biggest fails of this game because it reduces the options you have, I mean in WoW you have dps/healer/tank AND hybrid whilst in GW2 you only have hybrids. Can anybody explain to me how that is an improvement?

When I first started playing WoW, I started off as DPS(Rogue) and after reaching higher levels I started immersing myself into other roles such as tanking and healing and they offer a complete different experience.
    Why do you need a dedicated role when you can build a class to your play style? It opens up a lot more options, not reduces it.

What I profoundly remember from GW1 are Invincimonks and suddenly 250 years later (GW2) there are no monks ))

No roles is to me one of the biggest fails of this game because it reduces the options you have, I mean in WoW you have dps/healer/tank AND hybrid whilst in GW2 you only have hybrids. Can anybody explain to me how that is an improvement?

When I first started playing WoW, I started off as DPS(Rogue) and after reaching higher levels I started immersing myself into other roles such as tanking and healing and they offer a complete different experience.
    Stop comparing every game to WoW, and you'll be one step closer to enjoying life.

I see people making the same mistake over and over. Comparing every freaking game out there with WoW. WoW is WoW, other games aren't WoW. Rift tried to be WoW, SWTOR was buggy WoW in space. Aion was WoW with wings. GW2 is WoW with no mounts. Etc etc etc.

Know what? Lets call it: IT IS ALL FREAKING PACMAN WITH SWORDS. Happy now?

Seriously, did WoW spoil players so much they need to compare everything to it? Do you go around comparing every meal you eat to McDonalds as well? "Oh, the steak was great, but would be better if it was minced, in a bun, with cheese, lettuce, and large fries on the side!"

10+ Year Old Account

The first thing GW2 tells you is that there's no trinity, what the hell have you been playing then?