Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

damage disparity

so ive currently got my lvl 40 elementalist and my lvl 40 thief

this is how ive set both up:
    ele - http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...m000k00ae8eaeu
    thief - http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...in2k5ak0008e8n ***

*** i'm using the 5% precision > vitality trait which isnt listed on the talent calc

now the dmg disparity begins with the thief. basically im doing this:

- turn autoattack (1) on
    - run to 2 nearby mobs
    - activate 7 and 8 (the 2 poison skills)
    - spam skill 4 (dancing dagger)
    - loot

^ i rinse repeat this, i never fight mobs alone because of the way dancing dagger works - its a lot more potent in groups.

so okay now im on m elementalist

- turn auto attack (1) on
    - press 7
    - use 5 to stun mob(s)
    - let 1 do the damage
    - press 4 when i'm near death (always happens due to low armour + dmg)
    - use 8 after all of 7's charges are used (6th attack, basically)
    - all the white im dying to a myriad of huge dmg

--

the dmg disparity between melee (in this case thief) and ranged (in this case ele) is huge - my thiefs damage is literally double, almost triple, what my ele does all the while being able to dodge/escape on command (death blossom evades, in addition to ur endurance, and cloak + dagger + ability 6 stealth you allowing escape). not only this but my elite skill lets me solo anything i want (excluding champions, naturally) cuz i let them tank while they unload huge dmg + conditions (in addition to my conditions).

my build is centred primarily around precision and conditions while my eles build is focused around precision + vital, with power + vital pieces (there are no triple stat pieces yet). and cuz of the way precision > vitality conversion works, i have 500 more hp than my ele - not only this but while my ele is sitting on 31% crit my thief is sitting on 59% crit.

this is just ridiculous.

ive heard from lvl 80 thieves (friends in guild on WoW) that they're running around practically invincible in WvWvW and spvp because whenever they get targetted they just stealth and let someone tank while they absolutely destroy people from the back - remember my lvl 20 trait? +7% more crit when attacking from side/back, meaning my crit is 66%.

as a game of numbers gw2 is just so imbalanced: i originally stated before the game that thieves were terrible (and they were), but i hadnt played in the final beta weekend to see the changes and it seems like eles got absolutely gutted (i remembered going around gendarren fields taking on 3-4 pirates at a time and killing them b4 they got in melee range).

it doesnt make sense for a melee to do 2/3 times the dmg of a range - especially the ele because the moment the thief gets in melee range its game over for the ele.

perhaps im playing the ele wrong and playing it like my thief where i can just lolol around and never die, but it seems a lot harder to play. to the point where im levelling in kessek hills (at lvl 40) because i know the massive zerg there can just farm DEs / hearts for me, essentially.

While I haven't done any real number crunching, my experience is with my Warrior buddy. This is only at level 25 but he can consistently hit with his big attack for 1K at lvl25 while most of my Elemental hits are 300-400. Haven't had a chance to check other classes but suspect there are some serious balance issues.

Elementalists are in a bad spot right now. There's is just no spot for them. Whatever role they could fill, another class can do it better. They were stronger in the first beta weekend but people kept crying that they were OP and they got hit pretty hard with the nerf bat. Hopefully we will see some balancing patches in the near future.

At level 80, I'm hitting about 250 to 300 for auto attacks with the Short bow. 500 to 1000 auto attacks with the Longbow.

Double daggers with focus on power/precision/condition damage work fairly well if you want to be the melee glass cannon. You won't reach thief levels of damage or burst, but you won't finish dead last.

In groups, take a staff and focus on your niche of AoE control, healing, condition management and AoE burst.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Double daggers with focus on power/precision/condition damage work fairly well if you want to be the melee glass cannon. You won't reach thief levels of damage or burst, but you won't finish dead last.

In groups, take a staff and focus on your niche of AoE control, healing, condition management and AoE burst.
    and solo? dagger/dagger as ele will get you ripped apart.

Warriors and Thieves right now are way ahead of anything else. I'm sure it will be balanced sometime soon.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    and solo? dagger/dagger as ele will get you ripped apart.
    DD works fairly fine solo. You just need to get a tempo going and have up to date gear. Essentially you blow enemies up, and then disengage and circle strafe with breath abilities and heals, then re-engage.

But you get cut to pieces in harder content with more mobs/harder hitting mobs and such.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-09-02 at 02:26 AM.

Deleted
    Double dagger is amazing and does much higher damage than my guardian could ever dream of.

10+ Year Old Account
    DD: use 4-5 combo in air attunement, switch to earth for 5, collect loot.
    That's pretty much how I've been leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    Elementalists are in a bad spot right now. There's is just no spot for them. Whatever role they could fill, another class can do it better. They were stronger in the first beta weekend but people kept crying that they were OP and they got hit pretty hard with the nerf bat. Hopefully we will see some balancing patches in the near future.
    Wait...what? Elementalists are currently the strongest class at the moment....

Lets not get started how 3 elementalist 1 engi, 1 guardian groups can whipe 40 people in WvW
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2012-09-02 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post

Lets not get started how 3 elementalist 1 engi, 1 guardian groups can whipe 40 people in WvW
    They didn't put a reasonable damage cap on AoE attacks, eh?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    The only thing i can do anymore is to be average support. I think i could dish out more ranged damage even on my warrior.. Oh well, leveling warrior at the moment to gather more mats for crafting so doesn't really matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    grab a pair of daggers, learn how to dodge and go mix it up with the melee
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

My elementalist is lv44 and is having absolutely no trouble at all. At lv38, I was completing Blazeridge Steppes(40-50).

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    so ive currently got my lvl 40 elementalist and my lvl 40 thief
    You're comparing air ele vs a thief, why? Air does trash damage (imho) - pimp out your fire attunement with appropriate traits and watch #2 and #3 melt mobs. Or pick up dagger/dagger, train your finger memory, and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Air does trash damage (imho) - pimp out your fire attunement with appropriate traits and watch #2 and #3 melt mobs.
    I'll second this. I don't use Air for damage dealing at all. I only use air to push back a for followed by the stun and speed boost, then off to another more useful element. The #2 and #3 fire skills do very high damage, use them both and a mob is well on its way to dead.
    Last edited by Gisei; 2012-09-02 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post

Maybe in WvWvW, but in PvE (dungeons) and sPvP they are the weakest. They bring nothing that another class can't do better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing you didn't roll a Guardian and compare your thieves damage to that. You would probably cry.
    I like waffles!

why don't you just cast dragon tooth from long range and 1 shot mobs? Fire damage is absolutely insane, it's more balanced around the difficulty of landing spells and as such is pretty amazing in pve. Also earth has 3 stacks of bleeding on every auto which is ridiculous :S