New build will not power on at all

Today while I was testing my new build the computer would not power on at all. There was not post beep, no error codes on the debug screen, and no response from any fans or other parts. I tried just the motherboard with just the psu, cpu, and ram, and i could not get a response even from the psu. I checked all connections and cleared the cmos, but still no luck. The cpu does not show any sign of damage and all parts are brand new. I am beginning to think that I have a doa board. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what could be the problem?

Specs are:
    Asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo
    Intel i5 3570k
    Msi 660 ti power edition
    Corsair vengeance 8gb 1600mhz ram
    corsair tx v2 650w

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It could possibly be a doa board but also just make sure all the connecters are where they should be and also maybe something happened during the assembly , did you make sure to ground yourself ? and not build near a conductive surface ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post

He is a god, and should not have to associate with lower class citizens, for his valor points, I mean thats ALL he could be there for, he obviously doesnt need gear, so blizzard should just credit his account with 500 VP a week, for his troubles

I was grounded and tested the board right on its box on a wooden table. The 24 pin connector and cpu connector were both in all the way.

Do a paperclip test with the PSU after unplugging it from everything, make sure it runs. Try another PSU if you can.

A common mistake is leaving out the P4 connector. Make sure everything that should be plugged in, is plugged in.

If you've plugged everything in, there are two possibilities:

DOA Mobo
    Bad PSU

90% of all issues arise from bad power. Chances are very good that that it's the Power Supply. These days, it's actually the more expensive of the two to fix, depending on what you bought. I'd start there, however.

Make sure that the memory is fully seated. Last build I put together the memory slots were particular resistant and the sticks weren't in all the way even when I thought they were. Probably not your problem, but it's possible

I tried the paper-clip test and nothing happened except for the psu making a very faint crackling noise. Is it safe to assume that the psu is the one that needs RMA'ing and not the motherboard?
    Last edited by ssof; 2012-09-02 at 01:59 AM.

Provided you put the paperclip in the correct holes and it isn't one of the rare ones that doesn't like to turn on with no load, yes.