Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    1st and last Final Fantasy game I played.

or just the intro

Another of my personal favorites:

Soo many memories with this one.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

10+ Year Old Account
    for me...there are gems in both old and new games. ive been a gamer since the NES days so ive been around to see how much the music in games has changed/evolved over the years. that said a lot of music in games is bad now as well as some music being bad back in the early days.

i dont really like either more than the other because theres so many games both new and old that stand out to me musically. dragon quest 8 for me probably has the best soundtrack of any game ive ever played. its just beautiful. to mention an older game, id have to say that super mario world has an amazing soundtrack as well.

so yeah....like i said....i dont have a preference. both have tons of great music.

Ok one more and I'll stop. I know FF games are going to get mentioned a lot in a thread like this, but you have to admit they had some of the most awesome soundtracks ever.

Speaking of Mass Effect... Especially at ~3:52
    Last edited by Grizzelbar; 2012-09-02 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluckandtrouble View Post
    i prefer the new stuff: less 8bit more orchestral!

Pfft this is pure gold.

Ok one more and I'll stop. I know FF games are going to get mentioned a lot in a thread like this, but you have to admit they had some of the most awesome soundtracks ever.
    No need to stop if you like it. xD You're right, the FF team knows how to create great music of all eras.

Here is one of my favorite ones from the FF team that worked on KH.

Probably my favourite.

Honorable mentions

They might be more epic for me since they're just such nostaliga bombs
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Song View Post
    No need to stop if you like it. xD You're right, the FF team knows how to create great music of all eras.

Here is one of my favorite ones from the FF team that worked on KH.

Yoko Shimomura is pure win. I freakin' LOVE her work.

Oh and another amazing Golden Sun track:

Last edited by Suikoden; 2012-09-02 at 06:55 PM.

I prefer old music because of classics, but I like some of the new ones too. It's just that everyone wants to make new music so complex, progressive and "generic" in movie style, that you can't remember them after you've finished the game.

Everyone probably still remembers the old classics. Those simple tunes will echo inside your head from time to time, just to keep you happy while you're doing something that's boring/not enjoyable. That's a huge difference for me.

Still wishing that new games would give out some unique pearls, but it's getting very rare in that aspect. Not meaning that I can't enjoy them, still ... Some are really good, but I still can't remember them after a while like Stargåte SG1 -series theme for weird example.

This is one of my favourites. Some games just have better music than others, but there are dozens good of them.

Still like this a lot from "modern game music". At least this has some main melody what can stick inside your head, but no, I can't remember whole track well in my head.

@ Kankipappa, I know what you mean and when i was younger, i would get to the sticker vine stages of DK2 and almost fall asleep because of that music you posted LOL so relaxing.

But out of that game, the music that always stuck with me, was this. And hearing it when my SNES started up made my heart beat and i was soo ready to play haha.

Last edited by Song; 2012-09-02 at 07:08 PM.

I enjoy both newer and older game music. However, the Fortress town theme from HoMM3 remains my favorite game music.

Most of the time, I find myself not paying too much attention to game music (regardless of whether the game is new/old) while focusing on playing the game. It isn't until I just meander through games that I wholly pay attention to the soundtrack.

My all time favorite from the old days

Deleted
    Ah, yes. Heroes of Might & Magic.
    Not very many games successfully incorporate opera into their soundtrack, but HOMM wouldn't be HOMM without it!:

And I can't believe I forgot:

This is the game that made me realize that video games were more than just pressing buttons.
    That they could also have original music, atmosphere, themes, story, style and personality.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2012-09-02 at 07:28 PM.

The older music was severely limited in what they could fit into the actually game, usually catchy little tunes of beeps. They could be good, but the music has definitely improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The old school video game soundtracks are pretty neat, they've got a certain charm to them; however, I still prefer the newer ones.
    Particularly I adore the IWD soundtracks.

This is an example of Modernization done RIGHT.

As good as the original is (And I LOVE the soundtrack for this game to DEATH) ...

The remake is about 340845651542 times better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was a pretty crappy game but it had an amazing soundtrack for the 16-bit era. I've yet to find battle themes that match up with the energy of these two battle themes:
    Oh yeah, the game was meh, but the music - and especially the battle themes - were just wonderful. The final battle theme is really, really awesome!

Something which sadly was never released outside of japan, but dat music... the newer titles also were never released in Europe. >_>
    But again, DAT MUSIC! <3
    It also serves as a good comparison, because it's the same series with a similar sounding music.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really hard to say dude. Theirs great video game music from all ages. Let's take something old say

That song just spells adventure in my opinion. It's fantastic. Now something more recent that does much the same

Mass Effect is a game that reminds me so much of Star Control. This song in particular though gives such a great Blade Runner feel. It's such a homage to Vangelis. Even the PWONG of the cymbol. Fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Mass Effect is a game that reminds me so much of Star Control. This song in particular though gives such a great Blade Runner feel. It's such a homage to Vangelis. Even the PWONG of the cymbol. Fantastic.
    Who votes we take the vehicle into the creepy underground bunker?
    Putin khuliyo