Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    chains>>>hearts.

seriously, i haven't had to grind this much since i last played EVE.
    Stop playing GW like WoW then.

About the biggest difference is the anticipation of seeing the next graphically exciting area or trying to find that hidden puzzle. When I first hit Lions Arch, I was blown away at the quality of the graphics and the puzzle like layout of the City. You never get this in WoW, maybe Black Temple oh so long ago but............

as someone who played swtor for almost a year now, it is very unfamiliar to quest in a zone where you dont really have a purpose to be. you just explore and help people, but you really have no reason to be there. in swtor you have planetary questlines for the empire/republic and your own class quest which both give you very strong reasons to be in a zone. sidequests pop up next to the questgivers.

now GW2 on the other hand makes you feel lost and the lack of a real purpose makes your questing feel obsolete.

dont get me wrong, I really love the events, they are just amazing, I also love that you always fight together and all players get credit and not just the ones who were there first. I like that you can solve almost all heart quests in different ways. I am sure or at lesat I hope that this will be a strong influence on MMOs to come. but in the end the lack of purpose really bothers me. sure, story and the leveling experienc as a whole is one of swtors biggest strenghts, so it might be unfair to judge other MMOS by that.

sure you have class quests in GW2, but they dont lead you though the zones.

the questdesign of swtor makes you extremely involved with the world, you actually feel like you're a part of this universe, you have a reason to be there and you can and will change it. in guild wars 2, I just feel like a tourist, or someone who is playing a game.
    Last edited by moff; 2012-09-03 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    as someone who played swtor for almost a year now, it is very unfamiliar to quest in a zone where you dont really have a purpose to be. you just explore and help people, but you really have no reason to be there. in swtor you have planetary questlines for the empire/republic and your own class quest which both give you very strong reasons to be in a zone. sidequests pop up next to the questgivers.

now GW2 on the other hand makes you feel lost and the lack of a real purpose makes your questing feel obsolete.

dont get me wrong, I really love the events, they are just amazing, I also love that you always fight together and all players get credit and not just the ones who were there first. I like that you can solve almost all heart quests in different ways. I am sure or at lesat I hope that this will be a strong influence on MMOs to come. but in the end the lack of purpose really bothers me. sure, story and the leveling experienc as a whole is one of swtors biggest strenghts, so it might be unfair to judge other MMOS by that.

sure you have class quests in GW2, but they dont lead you though the zones.

the questdesign of swtor makes you extremely involved with the world, you actually feel like you're a part of this universe, you have a reason to be there and you can and will change it. in guild wars 2, I just feel like a tourist, or someone who is playing a game.
    Not to mention the ganking aspect of SWToR, having an opposing side you always had little skirmishes to break up monotony. Voss, Alderaan and some of those were almost as fun killing Imps/Pubs as you quested. Both SWToR and GW2 look phenomenal and keep you wanting more, see the next well done area where it appeared developers actually cared what the environment looks and feels like. SWToR als had datacrons which some were very challenging, GW2s Vistas, not so much, so far to level 48

Deleted
    Hearts are there to give you a sense of where trouble is occuring in the world; is it NOT your primary source of exp, gold or karma. They put them in to ease traditional MMO players into the system (indeed, there are less Hearts the higher level you get) and get them used to levelling through events, paying attention to what's going on with NPCs and interactive objects; if you pay attention you'll trigger a lot of events that aren't on a cycle at all.

One example recently was in Harathi Highlands where I entered a ruined church and found a shrine. Upon inspection the text mentioned indents in the dirt as though someone had been kneeling here. So I typed /kneel and lo and behold, a ghost NPC priest appeared and told me to read the name of the man who cursed the church infront of his grave. That caused a boss to appear and triggered an event that won't trigger otherwise; interacting with the grave before talking to the ghost does nothing.

This game is only grindy if you try to play it like WoW and run from one marked point to the next. I also prefer the story to WoW; I can look past the repeating of hearts and events occasionally; after all most of the time in WoW when you finish a chain you never hear from those NPCs again anyway, and the Alliance questing was so badly done this expansion that most storyline chains end abruptly before you even get to see the conclusion or the world doesn't recover over the entire expansion (Andorhal, Worgen start-zone, Stormwind, Westfall etc.).

EDIT: I also much prefer the personal story in this over SWTOR. Why? SWTOR gives you the illusion of choice; you get to pick whether some NPC lives or dies, but 90% of the time you'll never see that NPC again; whatever your choices are the story follows the same path. In this every choice changes the situation, NPCs direction of the story. It was also particularly lazy in that (for Inquisitor at least) you go and collect 4 relics, then you have to collect 4 ghosts. It was a bit boring and uninspired and I felt more like an errand boy than an insidious politician.

On beta I chose for my Asura the VAL-A golem as his first invention; my story then was about someone stealing my plans, modifying them and setting my golem loose to terrorise locals. On live I chose the Infinity Ball, so my story had different characters in it and it was all about trying to improve the ball to open portals into the future; culminating in a final battle where you fight your future self who has taken over the world with his ball.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2012-09-03 at 02:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    it is very unfamiliar to quest in a zone where you dont really have a purpose to be. you just explore and help people, but you really have no reason to be there.
    *snip*
    Why do people keep saying this? Is it because they don't actually listen to any of the NPCs in the area? Possibly you don't talk to the Heart 'quest giver'? Just those two things give you the rundown in 30 seconds. People complaining that GW2 lacks no purpose or sense of involvement cannot fault the game for not providing it. You would have a more valid complaint that you don't like how it is presented, or that how it is presented is confusing. Even at that, I would say this game - where you have to actually make some big boy decisions for yourself, adventure, etc. - is not for you.

And as several people mentioned before, the hearts amount to <5% of what you can actually do in the game. I think a lot of people also don't realize, as they are trying to blast through zones thinking that will somehow level them faster, that a lot of dynamic events take a long time to experience. Whether because it only happens every couple of hours, or because they have long long chains. You don't complete an initial DE and then run away like you've accomplished something. Stick around, normally crazy things keep happening.

To the person who complained about being stuck in the 55-64 zone: maybe you should have, or still should go back to lower zones and complete them. You probably missed out on 25-50% of the game.

The Heart quests are a little uninspiring, it's true.

Thing is, if you're just going round doing them, you're missing the game. Most of the heart meters can be filled while doing Events in that area.

It took me about half an hour to cross a zone yesterday because I kept joining in DEs. I didn't go "I'll go there but join in any DEs I see", it was more like "OK, I need to get over there for the next bit of the personal story, so I go down that path, oooh event, not seen that one, kill-kill-kill, OK, dammit, got distracted, OK, down there, oooh event, I'll just do it because it's short" etc.

Passively joining in on your way to something else, is so much more tempting than having to explicitly start quests.

Deleted
    Yeah, the Heart Quests feel a bit repetitiv.
    But i have a feeling i level way to fast, so i do maybee 1/2 of the Hearts of any map.
    Most of the Time it happens, that if i reach an area with a heart, there is an event going on, and after this event the heart is completed as well. So its like doing the event an get the heart extra.

I think its the mix of possibilities, that makes GW2 leveling so awsome, 50% of my XP i get out of WvWvW, Crafting / Finding Ore, Roaming Arround with friends in LowLevel Areas, mashing all i see, or doing events. Im currently level 43 and right now im doing quests with a friend who's level 8 - In another Starting Zone, which is awsome as well. My Campagne ... yeah i forgot it - another source of XP i think im holding at the one for level 38 ..

Way to much to do in GW2
    Last edited by mmoc0349b4e89d; 2012-09-03 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    About the biggest difference is the anticipation of seeing the next graphically exciting area or trying to find that hidden puzzle. When I first hit Lions Arch, I was blown away at the quality of the graphics and the puzzle like layout of the City. You never get this in WoW, maybe Black Temple oh so long ago but............
    2 words: PIRATE. CAVERN.

There is no way to make a non repetitive questing system unless you need to quest very little.

Both systems end up being repetitive, GW2 has the benefit that you dont actually have to "get" the quest.

the hearts are repeditive that's for sure. Every heart quest give you 3-5 options on how to help people in that area, help them collect, kill mobs, rescue people, deliver items. I do them to unlock vendors but will instantly stop what I'm doing if I see a dynamic event. That's where this game shines with questing. You can do the DE, listen in while the NPC's discuss it afterwards and by listening in that will give you a hint something else is about to happen. It normally will chain on to another DE and finally end up fighting some boss. Afterwards I would walk around that camp/village/town and people would thank me for helping.

To somehow say wow's linear questing can somehow top DE's is crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrok- View Post
    2 words: PIRATE. CAVERN.
    Yes yes 1000 times yes!

I absolutely loved this event, one of my favorites so far. From the invisible maze walls, to the jokes the pirate made about his many wives, to finding the corpse of the first mate, to the spike traps and pitch black room, this event made me feel like fricking Indiana Jones. I suggest that any player that has not done it, go try to get into sharkmaw cavern in Lion's Arch.

OT: The issue I think that some seem to have with the heart quests is that people are rushing to the endgame that many mmo's encourage, so they run straight to the heart events and skip the points of interest, vistas, dynamic events and so on in the rush to max level.

Hey guys, this game is not about rushing to max level to do arena/heroics/raids, so stop doing it. Doing so will leave you with a negative impression the game does not deserve, and it makes the game less fun for you.

Hearts are NOT quests, and by that I mean they are not the thing you go to that area for and you do them and you're done and you leave. They might look like quests, smell like quests, and even taste like quests if you're the adventurous type, but in this sense, they are NOT quests.

The issue I see is people are treating them like quests in other games where you get into this monotonous autopilot of completing quests on the road to chugging along to max level. Hearts in GW2 are like those little dinky quests you get in major cities in WoW that tell you where to go for your level. Do you pick them up and go to that zone only to complete that one quest and then leave?

Of course not. Those are the same as hearts, you don't go to the area where the heart is to complete the heart and then skedaddle out of there. The heart is there to show you, "Hey there's this thing going on over here to attract your attention to ALL THE OTHER things going on over here as well!" It's like the crumb trail to the cake slice.. or something like that. xD

TL;DR: You're lazy if you couldn't read that.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that GW2 is about that same thing you did when WoW was new and you didn't know wtf was going on. You ran around looking for stuff, going "Ooooo what's that over there?!" This is Guild Wars 2. Go run around aimlessly and find an awesome dynamic event you didn't know was there. Go find a hidden champion mob and get ballsy and try to solo it. Stop the autopilot!

10+ Year Old Account
    hehe, the pitch black room was a bit less pitch black when I equipped my FDS
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    hehe, the pitch black room was a bit less pitch black when I equipped my FDS
    Idk what an FDS is, but I used my torch xD I also found out later that ground-targeted abilities can also help in showing the terrain edges.

Deleted
    The fact I don't have questlog alone makes me happy as can be, I just go explore the world in my own time and do whatever comes in my way, I love it, to me it feels fun, relaxed and the opposite of grindy that way, I don't fully understand how anyone can find it to be grinding, with other games you often end up with a questlog filled with old low level quests that give you nothing anymore but you somehow feel obligated to do them anyway and actually the scaling system would make a traditional questing system much better aswell in that regard.

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    That's not completely true though, I've seen the same events replay and respawn over and over within just 2 hours of playing in a zone. I have yet to see a village disappear and be gone for a very long time. I save Quaggans and feel good because then the area feels safe, yet within the hour and sooner than that, they're in peril again...yes, I do love those Quaggans. Same with camps being overrun or towns, this might change when there's a bit less activity but so far the respawning is incredibly fast.

I much prefer WoW phasing (when done properly, such as Andorhal, they need more like it) over this system I must say, but I can't see how it'd work for GW2 nor would it be needed since there's room for different game mechanics and designs.
    It's because certain events are triggered by something a player does so some of them will happen again more often, but I agree this can be improved upon in the future so that it doesn't happen too often.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-09-03 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    The fact I don't have questlog alone makes me happy as can be, I just go explore the world in my own time and do whatever comes in my way, I love it, to me it feels fun, relaxed and the opposite of grindy that way, I don't fully understand how anyone can find it to be grinding, with other games you often end up with a questlog filled with old low level quests that give you nothing anymore but you somehow feel obligated to do them anyway and actually the scaling system would make a traditional questing system much better aswell in that regard.
    Very easy. Not everyone likes exploration for the sake of seeing pretty pictures. Some people like to explore to find interesting stuff to do, or to find interesting lore. Furthermore, exploring in GW2 doesn't even guarantee that you will encounter events. Only today, after I spent two hours exploring new areas around the zone I'm in, I encountered only two events. This essentially means that I need to go back to the areas I already explored and hope that a random event will pop up - I wouldn't exactly call this exploring.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Man wow is like simpsons in this regard... they already did everything... well almost... to me the lvling in gw2 seems just like in wow except that the zones aren't lvl restricted? (in wow terms u could go to twilight highlands at lvl 10) ... the "quests' are basically the same... if not even more repetitive than in wow... coz in wow u have a lot of unique(sort of) quests like the Plants vs zombie one or the plane chase in uldum or the plane ride in sholazar or the giant ride in sholazar etc ... I don't really care what any1 says but in terms of mechanics wow has the most fleshed out quests ....
    I dont think you understand how GW2 works at all if you think you can go to higher areas as a level 10...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Initially I liked hearts and DE ... though now I'm starting to dislike them. Much the same how I liked rifts in Rift ... after a while you just want to be left alone to do your own thing. Of couse you can just ignore it ... but somehow I feel they without them the XP is much lower

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes thy can be a bit repetitive. Which is why you also have DEs and your personal story.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    You know, I remember my older brother telling me about one of their DnD sessions a few years back. They had a goal of going to some famous city to find some guy and get an item from him or something like that. There were 7 of them and the GM, so 8 people total. They went into the city, asked for directions, found the guy, got the item, and went back outside on their quest.
    That there's a GM fail, frankly. If he went to all that work, he should'a made it harder to complete that objective, and woven the city into the story. No player is ever gonna just take it upon themselves to explore your thing. You have to make them want to.