1. #1
    Field Marshal Delighted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    53

    Maximizing chaos bolt damage

    Critical Strike increases your chaos bolt damage but does mastery. Wich one is best for a higer chaos bolt damage perspective (Not overall damage done)?

  2. #2
    Mastery does. I put together a quick and dirty spreadsheet testing it on the tournament realm against full Malevolent PvP geared players. By the way, each figure is an average of 10 hits (non-crits, except for Chaos Bolt). No items with procs were used.

    docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai1StaqV-ZfEdFR3REtWZkt1OEVqcnZiZEk1RDRZX2c#gid=8

  3. #3
    Field Marshal Delighted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplexity View Post
    Mastery does. I put together a quick and dirty spreadsheet testing it on the tournament realm against full Malevolent PvP geared players. By the way, each figure is an average of 10 hits (non-crits, except for Chaos Bolt). No items with procs were used.

    docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai1StaqV-ZfEdFR3REtWZkt1OEVqcnZiZEk1RDRZX2c#gid=8
    Thank you!

  4. #4
    Don't forget that while Mastery will generate higher damage Chaos Bolts, Critical Strike will generate more Chaos Bolts.

  5. #5
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Iry View Post
    Don't forget that while Mastery will generate higher damage Chaos Bolts, Critical Strike will generate more Chaos Bolts.
    I'm not a big PvPer so I apologise if I'm wrong, but surely in a PvP environment bigger hits > more hits?

    Specially with the length of cast time on CB, hard to cast when pressed and ofc leaves you open to an interupt?

  6. #6
    Brewmaster smegdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Katallo View Post
    I'm not a big PvPer so I apologise if I'm wrong, but surely in a PvP environment bigger hits > more hits?

    Specially with the length of cast time on CB, hard to cast when pressed and ofc leaves you open to an interupt?
    What he is saying is that your other abilities such as incinerate will crit more, which will make you generate Ember Bits faster, which then lets you should off more CB's.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Baenesur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    What he is saying is that your other abilities such as incinerate will crit more, which will make you generate Ember Bits faster, which then lets you should off more CB's.
    But as he stated, he was interested in getting the highest hit on Chaos Bolt, not as many as possible.
    Warlock New Main
    Druid Retired Main after many years
    Brawler's Guild ALL fights

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Katallo View Post
    I'm not a big PvPer so I apologise if I'm wrong, but surely in a PvP environment bigger hits > more hits?

    Specially with the length of cast time on CB, hard to cast when pressed and ofc leaves you open to an interupt?
    It really depends on who you are killing, and their gear. Having the biggest chaos bolts is a nice blanket way to ensure you kill someone, but if you are capable of killing them anyway then it is better to get those chaos bolts faster.

    For example, if three big hits kills someone, and three slightly smaller hits does not kill someone then you needed bigger hits. If three slightly smaller hits still kills someone then you needed faster hits. Also, there is merit to getting your slightly smaller hits ready to launch quickly, before you end up dead.

  9. #9
    Just reached 90 with my lock, i have the intention to play as Destruction cause its the spec that i enjoyed most playing during WoTLK... Im still relearning to play, how to use properly the embers, the new spells, glyphs, and about this one i wanted to know what u guys think about the Glyph of Dark Soul... Is it worth to use? Do you recomend?

    Btw, which are the best ones for Destruction? Im using 'Dark Soul', 'Siphon Life' and 'Soul Consumption'...



    " So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrada View Post
    Just reached 90 with my lock, i have the intention to play as Destruction cause its the spec that i enjoyed most playing during WoTLK... Im still relearning to play, how to use properly the embers, the new spells, glyphs, and about this one i wanted to know what u guys think about the Glyph of Dark Soul... Is it worth to use? Do you recomend?

    Btw, which are the best ones for Destruction? Im using 'Dark Soul', 'Siphon Life' and 'Soul Consumption'...
    Conflage, Burning Embers, and Healthstone. The best glyphs for 3s arena according to experience along with being pretty much cookie cutter.
    Last edited by kail; 2012-11-22 at 07:21 AM.

  11. #11
    I prefer haste, only because when in arena, I fend to felflame more than I incinerate, and since felflame is such a mana hog I like the haste for the Mp5. I go Mastery > haste > crit considering I also use my embers for ember tap.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal Delighted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    53
    The reason i want to get as big chaos bolts as possible is beacuse they are really hard to get off. In duels aginst a warrior i most likely get one off, if not even at all. Also is pretty fun to do incredibly high burst damage..

  13. #13
    for pve full mastery>crit i took mastery even over gemming int i found it scales much higher and for pvp go pvppower>crit thats all you need other than the hit cap

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •