Ret hit and expertise numbers being weird?

I must be going crazy.. The blizz Character frame shows my hit and expertise, 7.87% and 8.4% respectively, being at a 0.00% chance to miss or get dodged with my specials.. Yet on a boss target dummy I'm missing and getting dodged on almost ALL of my attacks.. Why?

Aveline's amazing work!

Aren't boss dummies lvl 93 already?

Oh are they? That would explain a lot. Lol!

Aveline's amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by Megraam View Post
    Aren't boss dummies lvl 93 already?
    Yes, boss dummies are already upgraded to level 93 and so you can't test your DPS on that dummy ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpurin View Post
    Yes, boss dummies are already upgraded to level 93 and so you can't test your DPS on that dummy ;p
    Boss level is always your current level plus 3, so there might be something up with ret hit ratings.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWiggles View Post
    Boss level is always your current level plus 3, so there might be something up with ret hit ratings.
    No the target dummies are 93 don't be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    No the target dummies are 93 don't be silly.
    Not sure where these level 93 target dummies are, all I see are level 85 and skulls. The skull means it is 3 levels above your current level.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Deleted
    All the 85 boss dummies in cities are no longer 85 boss dummies. They are 90 boss dummies (level 93)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWiggles View Post
    Not sure where these level 93 target dummies are, all I see are level 85 and skulls. The skull means it is 3 levels above your current level.
    Uhhhh, no.

Ret's hit and expertise are fine, as people have said, you're hitting something 8 levels above your current level. Turn to a level 85 dummy to test.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    "Once level capped, if a mob still appears to the player as a "??" then they are referred to as a "skull type boss". These bosses have a "dynamic" level — they are considered to be 3 levels above the player character for any level-based calculations during combat (such as miss chances, resistances, etc)."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Skull
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-09-02 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the boss dummy works like an actual boss. It has a set level, with boss-level armor, and was given the skull to make it look like a boss. It's more like attacking an enemy whose level is high enough above yours for their level to be hidden (which shows as a skull, but they're not treated as a boss).

Deleted
    Which whilst is true for most of the expansion, is not true during the pre-patch for the following expansion as they prepare for the level cap to be raised.

The target dummies were 85 boss type. That was the level cap all expansion. They are now level 90 boss type, ready for MoP.
    Last edited by mmoc3ece278ef7; 2012-09-02 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and that's what's confusing people. They're labeled as bosses, but not treated like bosses, so when they boost their level cap for a new expansion, people think it should still act like it's three levels higher, but since it's not really a boss it doesn't (it acts like its set level, 93 in this case).

Dummies in general are bugged. The beta ones that you kill in shat aren't affecting HoL damage with 5% spell but on live/beta CoE and poisons work like that always have with it. Except it gained at 8% for HoL and 5% for all other spells: HoW/Exo/ect.

---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    "Once level capped, if a mob still appears to the player as a "??" then they are referred to as a "skull type boss". These bosses have a "dynamic" level — they are considered to be 3 levels above the player character for any level-based calculations during combat (such as miss chances, resistances, etc)."

Yeah well Target Dummies aren't real bosses they are punching bags.

So this doesn't apply.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2012-09-02 at 07:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post

You're missing the point to which the Raid Training Dummy works. It's not an actual boss, it's a simulated "boss type" mob and does not abide by these otherwise standardized rules.

The level of the mob is not "static" in the way a Raid boss would be. They are given a mob level so combat effects can be tested against them, and then are scaled up when they are done (so the next expansion). They do not constantly remain at 3 levels above the player, as one poster had seemingly suggested. They are no longer 85 now, with 5.0.4 they were scaled for level 90 players. They are level 93, which is why hit and expertise levels we have now will not be adequate.

The mobs which have their level designated at 85 are the ones you want to use for testing. This is important to know because otherwise things might go reported in error and readings/tests can be rendered skewed by thinking that it's only 3 levels above you.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2012-09-02 at 07:18 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature