Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I feel lost in a massive game (leveling)

Ok, so I've been playing this for a couple hours, I'm level 8ish. I'm having trouble tho; as questing pisses me off, as I'm out of quests. I don't know where to go, or what to do. Do I really need to change zones to complete a few hearts, then come back? If I go to a level 9 quest, I get hammered right away.That's stupid, I wanted to level in the human place (which is where I've been until now). I also feel compelled to run around for 45 minutes in the city to discover waypoints and whatnot, so I can get exp...

Is there ways around it? What's the best way to get constant leveling?

I'm a noobie & don't know much about the game as of now, it looks pretty complex to me. Anway, any input would be welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the event-thigies and stuff I had no problemo leveling in the human area tho..

Deleted
    Do professions, explore everything you can and to the dynamic events.

But yeah, you'll have to switch to another races area to keep up with levels (which I think is stupid, but oh well).

So I need to run around, not knowing where to go, just HOPING to have an event pop up?

EDIT: Is there a quest log somewhere? I have having some writing of text in my screen for something I'm NOT doing.
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2012-09-02 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    Your only quest is your personal story and that is in your hero interface.

And yes, leveling in this game is basically "running around"

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about the human starting area but as Sylvari I've outlevelled every zone long before I'm done with it and I haven't sought out any Dynamic events, just participated in any that popped up while doing other stuff like discovering all points of interest/vistas and gathering crafting mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    So I need to run around, not knowing where to go, just HOPING to have an event pop up?

EDIT: Is there a quest log somewhere? I have having some writing of text in my screen for something I'm NOT doing.
    Most zones have scouts that daisy chain you along so you always know where you can head next.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    This usually sounds odd when you try to explain it, but to give it a go anyway - the game doesn't really want you to focus on leveling, but on "having fun." Due to the subjectivity of that matter some people are going to dislike the game, but let me give you my PoV on how I got through the early levels.

Okay, tutorial done, I'm lvl 2, it seems I'm now supposed to do one of these hearts ... Oh, look, a dynamic event, yeah, I'll do that first ... Hey, there's a vista nearby, I'll fetch that as well, oh and a poi too. K, now back to that heart ... Woah, I can go on with my Personal Story now, well let's do that ... Crap, this city is huge, I think I'll explore it ... Hmm, I've tonne of wood and copper, I guess I could try one of the disciplines ... Okay, let's now do some more hearts ... AH, here's that DE I've done before, but meh, it as fun, I'll do it again. Wait, I'm already level 6? ...

Yes, as said, it's subjective, but I've found that I rarely ever cared about my level except when i was really into the personal story and wanted to ding as soon as possible (so I tried some WvWvW and came out 5 levels above the requirement). Point is, that if all you want to do is level up, you're probably gonna find it a chore, as it can take a while and with only doing hearts you will be under-leveled. But if you just do a bit of everything for the fun of it (that is, if it's fun to you), you'll probably come away with plenty of levels more than you need.
    Last edited by Eskulap; 2012-09-02 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Ok, so I've been playing this for a couple hours, I'm level 8ish. I'm having trouble tho; as questing pisses me off, as I'm out of quests. I don't know where to go, or what to do. Do I really need to change zones to complete a few hearts, then come back? If I go to a level 9 quest, I get hammered right away.That's stupid, I wanted to level in the human place (which is where I've been until now). I also feel compelled to run around for 45 minutes in the city to discover waypoints and whatnot, so I can get exp...

Is there ways around it? What's the best way to get constant leveling?

I'm a noobie & don't know much about the game as of now, it looks pretty complex to me. Anway, any input would be welcome.
    if you want focus and direction, the BEST TIP I CAN GIVE YOU is complete a map 100%

that way you can hit points one after the other and you will never feel this open world little fish in a huge ocean effect going on..

basically the way GW2 works is this..

-you enter a new zone
    -get to a scout, that scout will open the map up and point out hearts to you with levels on it..
    -go to hearts and complete it
    -find next scout and repeat

now in the journey to those hearts, never ignore:
    -dynamic events
    -unexplored points of interests
    -gathering nodes, herbs, logging, mining, etc
    -skill points
    -vistas

everything you do in guild wars 2 gives experience combined with a flat levelling curve means you are exposed to adventure and fun instead of grinding.. what do you do? DO IT ALL!

personally speaking, i hate vistas.. hated it when they introduced it in beta.. but you know something? it's actually fun i have completed allt he maps on my casual journey to lvl 63 now and ive never felt underlevelled or whatever, it's just good

if you don't want to finish maps.. finish the hearts.. use the scout -> hearts method

have fun!

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

On your map you will see hearts, these are the areas dunamoc eents will usually pop up. Also on your map you will see like a telescope looking thing, this is the symbol for a scout. Talk to the scout and he will explain the whole zone and points of interest within it.

Deleted
    I'm not liking the leveling system much at the moment, maybe I'll grow to like it. It feels too aimless. When I log in I just have this feeling of "Okay, guess it's time to wander around and hope something interesting happens that gives me xp".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatking View Post
    I'm not liking the leveling system much at the moment, maybe I'll grow to like it. It feels too aimless. When I log in I just have this feeling of "Okay, guess it's time to wander around and hope something interesting happens that gives me xp".
    Or "go into another races area and ruin the novelty of such areas for my twinks that would also have personal story there".

Maybe I should just stop questing altogether and just never leave the heart of the mists. Anybody know if I have to quest?

Where do you pick up proffessions? I mean I havent came accross one yet and I feel lost as everyone has it.

Deleted
    Visist your races capital and check the map for work stations. They are close together and have symbols like a rag for leather, crossed weapons for weaponsmith, plate armor for armorsmith, etc pp. Just go there, talk to the NPC and he teaches you the profession.

Also if you want to switch a profession, remember that you don't lose your progression in the one you're dropping, it's basically just put on hold, while you have the other two active.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the issue a lot of people have is that it is more difficult to play the game if you're mainly focused on leveling quickly. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if it's your thing, but the game seems to be designed around giving you xp for exploring the world and getting immersed in the story of each zone. I personally barely even paid attention to my level as I was going through the first zone; I was just enjoying doing the dynamic events that popped up, logging/mining/gathering everything I could see, and experimenting with all the different weapon skills and weapon combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Do professions, explore everything you can and to the dynamic events.

But yeah, you'll have to switch to another races area to keep up with levels (which I think is stupid, but oh well).
    but you don't at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post

Huh? I have kept up with the levels without ever switching to other zones as a Norn, and I haven't even done THAT much extra stuff among doing hearts and events.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xpolockx View Post
    I think the issue a lot of people have is that it is more difficult to play the game if you're mainly focused on leveling quickly. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if it's your thing, but the game seems to be designed around giving you xp for exploring the world and getting immersed in the story of each zone. I personally barely even paid attention to my level as I was going through the first zone; I was just enjoying doing the dynamic events that popped up, logging/mining/gathering everything I could see, and experimenting with all the different weapon skills and weapon combos.
    Yes, actually, to put it into perspective, the game was first planned not to have any levels at all, but people just felt too alienated. It has still kept that vibe though and that's "how it's meant to be played."

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just hit 80 last night and ill say I didnt really rush anything and personally I felt that leveling was very fluent with gameplay imo. The biggest thing that will help is farming any mats you come across such as lumber, ore, and herbs. Those alone are equivalent if not more than killing mobs. Getting stuck at the beginning means you might have neglected an event or two, or are not utilizing exploration, waypoint, and nodes. Those things combined with renown hearts make it a breeze to level up to about 30-40 in which I skipped around zones so I could see all the game had to offer and gain tons of extra xp. Overall after you are able to go to your capital city you can go to lions arch and portal to the other zones in which you get other renown quests and events. With all these things together you should be fine. Dont give up the game is worth exploring and it gets irritating at times but finally finishing out feels so good especially by experiencing everything tyria has to offer.

go explore your main city for a nice chunk of exp, and some other rewards. you get bonuses for 100% map completions, bonuses i wouldnt recommend skipping on. im currently 72 and ive never had an issue with being under leveled, or having to go to another races starting zone. explore, thats what this game is about.

work on your story quest
    clear maps
    do events as you see them
    doing these 3 things should give you plenty of levels.