Thread: Dungeons

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Thats about it. The thing is, adds are normal, so they die within seconds. And if every boss puts down the red circles it's also the same everywhere. They could do many various things, but it seems they haven't done that. It feels as if I am back to vanilla WoW tactics for dungeons.

Yeah, you fell in the trap too, the Vanilla dungeon tactics is the exact thing it's about, and I love it.

Complexity vs Depth, I choose depth.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-09-02 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncano View Post
    First of all, I really like Guild Wars 2, it's fun and etc. So an hour ago I did my first dungeon - Caudecus's Manor (story mode). Well, I didn't enjoy it at all, it felt like mindless madness; silly amounts of HP, zerg fest, etc. Yes, it has a lot of bugs, and I understand it, but I don't think I'd enjoy it if they'd iron out all those bugs.

Is it just CM? Have you also felt disappointed? How did you like other dungeons?
    i fail to see how it's a zerg fest... and personally i enjoy the dungeons a lot more then i have the wow ones i've done, these ones just feel better... CM has so far been the easiest, then catacombs, then Twilight Arbor, haven't done any others, me and some friends will be doing Sorrows Embrace tonight though.

I gotta say, Twilight Arbor had some pretty cool mechanics, especially the last boss, i didn't think that CM even had real mechanics except for the golem, he had some fun ones with his 1 shotting rockets, but otherwise.. nothing...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Yeah, you fell in the trap too, the Vanilla dungeon tactics is the exact thing it's about, and I love it.

Complexity vs Depth, I choose depth.
    THe so called tutorial however is more or less completly missing for dungeons in GW 2. The first dungeon is brutally hard if you have no idea. I still don't know all the classes, what they excell at, what all their skills are etc. Back at level 30 I knew much less, yet I am asked to know most of this to be able to beat the dungeon without graveyard zerging everything. It wouldn't be so bad if CM would have been the first dungeon, as that is much easier.

I also do like games like Demon Souls, so I wouldn't say that I choose Complexity over Depths everytime. Maybe it's just the genre. Action games are most of the time much, much faster then Guild Wars. Demon Souls gives the player more abilities to defend himself - heck, he is able to block attacks, something that's not possible in GW 2 unless you use a CD. You can also deal massive damage/one shot enemies when you attack them from behind in Demon Souls.

I am not sure what I really want to say, GW 2 feels like it tries to be a hotkey MMO but also an action game and for the latter it is either to slow and/or doesn't give the player enough skills to defend himself.

Well there seems to be so many different feeling on the dungeons, but i think one thing we can all agree on, is increasing how fast stuff dies, and stop graveyard zerging. Maybe they should make story easier (i mean the level 60 story mode should anyway that shit is insane lol) But i also think they need to make explorable harder(from what i have done its not much harder)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    i fail to see how it's a zerg fest... and personally i enjoy the dungeons a lot more then i have the wow ones i've done, these ones just feel better... CM has so far been the easiest, then catacombs, then Twilight Arbor, haven't done any others, me and some friends will be doing Sorrows Embrace tonight though.

I gotta say, Twilight Arbor had some pretty cool mechanics, especially the last boss, i didn't think that CM even had real mechanics except for the golem, he had some fun ones with his 1 shotting rockets, but otherwise.. nothing...
    I have to admit that TA is quite nice on the last boss, interesting fight, not too deep in complexity but interesting and somewhat fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I have to admit that TA is quite nice on the last boss, interesting fight, not too deep in complexity but interesting and somewhat fun
    oh i loved that fight, and you gotta realize that story mode isn't really meant to be very difficult/complicated (granted i don't think that most fights will be super complex but more just flat out difficult)

PS: Getting to kill logan was like the greatest thing ever in that fight lol

---------- Post added 2012-09-02 at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I am not sure what I really want to say, GW 2 feels like it tries to be a hotkey MMO but also an action game and for the latter it is either to slow and/or doesn't give the player enough skills to defend himself.
    i just wanna say i totally agree with the rest of your post, however for this part i feel like the mix is a good thing, because if it were like an action game the bosses and adds would be taken out so fast that it wouldn't even be a challenge, or you'd have to fight so many things in a fight to make it difficult that mid/lower end comps would be having significant issues.

What do you guys think of the health pools btw? In games like WoW and Rift i thought they were to big and blah blah blah, but in GW2 they seem quite a bit smaller, the fights just seemed to go faster because of it and it was more of a constant threat of dying... what do you guys think? (PLEASE realize i only used WoW and Rift as examples because those are the only other mmos i've really raided in that had a single boss mob)
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I didn't think GW2 dungeon bosses was affected by threat or the amount of dmg you do but I do very high dmg on my warrior and I find myself having the boss on me all the time. at lvl 74 with Greatsword I now do 11k dmg total with hundred blades (with cds), so I can use that 1 time per boss (with a few exceptions ofc) because after I use it, afteer that I have to kite him around because he stays on me til he dies lol.

Anyway I don't find the dungeons that hard and I feel if you use a good group which everybody uses a nice mix of dps and defensive gear/traits/skills(specially melee) it will be a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    It's called "depth".
    I would not agree at all. Very little depth and I have a lot of disrespect for the Extra Credits series. I feel that series is responsible for pushing middle brow and low opinion in the gaming space.

To quote the Coens; Whoa, differences.

Deleted
    I'd really love to test AC... too bad we can't get in..

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    I didn't think GW2 dungeon bosses was affected by threat or the amount of dmg you do but I do very high dmg on my warrior and I find myself having the boss on me all the time. at lvl 74 with Greatsword I now do 11k dmg total with hundred blades (with cds), so I can use that 1 time per boss (with a few exceptions ofc) because after I use it, afteer that I have to kite him around because he stays on me til he dies lol.

Anyway I don't find the dungeons that hard and I feel if you use a good group which everybody uses a nice mix of dps and defensive gear/traits/skills(specially melee) it will be a walk in the park.
    Can't say anything about explorable mode, but I believe that if they take away the "run back" part, we won't see as many people saying "so easy, you noobs" (generally more evident on those trash pulls full of rangers that tend to be impossible). That is, at least while people learn their classes. I've tryed AC yesterday as an engineer and it seemed like the mobs were taking forever to die, I was getting agroo all the time so I think I was doing the most damage even though I don't know how to play well yet.

But anyway, playing on my necro alt, I see a lot of skills with "potential" that could be used to deal good damage/ support the party, but it seems like most people don't know how to use most of the skills yet. So I believe the dungeons may get exponentially easy and feel more (like elite trash will be faster to kill, hopefully) fluid as time passes. They also need to fix those bugs preventing people from getting into the same dungeon ASAP before more people get to 30 and see them, lol.
    Last edited by parcus; 2012-09-03 at 05:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the dungeons. It feels like me and 4 fellow adventurers (or more, or less in a mini dungeon) are venturing into a dangerous place where anything can happen. We are not just walking in and and running through a little rotation when everyone is ready - it's not simply a gear check (the most boring of 'mechanics' I can think of), it's about survival and teamwork.

The excitement of the dungeons really gets my heart pumping - bring on the chaos!
    Valar morghulis

Well...if I could ever get into a dungeon to do one..

Ugh, the group bugs make me rage in this game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I would not agree at all. Very little depth and I have a lot of disrespect for the Extra Credits series. I feel that series is responsible for pushing middle brow and low opinion in the gaming space.

To quote the Coens; Whoa, differences.
    I disagree :/. Dungeons in this game have incomparable more depth than most of the games (especially THAT game over THERE).

You see, zerg->cd spam is an option. You can do this, but it is NOT intended. It's a way for people who don't have enough game understanding to somehow beat that boss in story mode. My guild cleared fully 3 explo dungeons and I have to say it's nothing like that. Bosses in explo modes we've done required actual tactic and proper skill execution, they were impossible to "graveyard zerg".

Very disappointing Fencer.. very disappointing :/. I guess standing as a tank in one place for 90% of all WoW's content and pressing taunt every 30sec had actually depth for some o_O. Sigh.. yeah.. I know, opinions.. but damn some are just very.. strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zergfests =/= depth. After hitting 80, I think I'm just going to take a break and wait to see what happens to the bugs/tweaks. The content was fun, don't get me wrong... its just the idea of running in there and knowing I'm going to have to spawn zerg over and over in order to complete it is what dulls it. Even without a holy trinity, there should be at least some way to make things more manageable.

Maybe me playing a melee is what does it for me. I find myself using a rifle the majority of the times in dungeons because getting close means I'm cleaved to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiped View Post
    I disagree :/. Dungeons in this game have incomparable more depth than most of the games (especially THAT game over THERE).

You see, zerg->cd spam is an option. You can do this, but it is NOT intended. It's a way for people who don't have enough game understanding to somehow beat that boss in story mode. My guild cleared fully 3 explo dungeons and I have to say it's nothing like that. Bosses in explo modes we've done required actual tactic and proper skill execution, they were impossible to "graveyard zerg".

Very disappointing Fencer.. very disappointing :/. I guess standing as a tank in one place for 90% of all WoW's content and pressing taunt every 30sec had actually depth for some o_O. Sigh.. yeah.. I know, opinions.. but damn some are just very.. strange.
    A few things:

I don't play WoW. Was not making a comparison to WoW. Never was on about "zerging" either.

These are imaginary arguments I have not made or support.

Not that it matters to this point, but I specifically said I liked GW2's style of dungeons. Also I have keenly pointed out dungeons in GW2 vis-a-vis other games is not a matter of better or worse. Merely a difference in gameplay style. Which is more than fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Zergfests =/= depth. After hitting 80, I think I'm just going to take a break and wait to see what happens to the bugs/tweaks. The content was fun, don't get me wrong... its just the idea of running in there and knowing I'm going to have to spawn zerg over and over in order to complete it is what dulls it. Even without a holy trinity, there should be at least some way to make things more manageable.

Maybe me playing a melee is what does it for me. I find myself using a rifle the majority of the times in dungeons because getting close means I'm cleaved to death.
    Best way i can put it.... stop being bad! Me and 3 friends have done the story mode dungeons for AC, Manor, TA, and SE, we NEVER zergfested it down, and don't even give me that "melee is broken" crap, cause all 4 of use are primarily melee with a few of us swapping to ranged occasionally (only 2 of us, me being one of them) I don't even know why we keep bringing "champions"... all they do is die and run back while we continue on the dungeon, might as well just 4 man it, it'd save us time in the long run....

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

Haha, I feel with you bro. I switched from double axe warrior (lvl31, with green ~30 axes) to my lvl 25 blue hammer (2hand) just for the massiv cc possebilities. And thats the shit how it going. I wasn't even do 50% from the damage before, but was able to interrupt about 60% of the cast of the bosses and the trash, thus highly improved our surviveability.

First it was a wipe fest, later it was a chain interrupt with teamspeak. However, it felt really difficult to what I'm familiarised out of WoW and SWTOR (4 mara trough LI HC is really fun btw).

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well...if I could ever get into a dungeon to do one..

Ugh, the group bugs make me rage in this game.
    If you're on Northern shiver peaks shoot Durzlla a whisper, me and some friends are going to be doing Twilight Arbor again tomorrow if you wanna come (gotta be at least lv 50 though)

Deleted
    If I could only play them on my holy pala, that would be amazing ;P
    TBH I feel that "np holy tinity" will kick ANet in the nuts in near future, without it there's just zerg and corpsrun. At least if they implemented taunts, and longer cc that would be really helpful.

Melee is fucked in this game, on my last dungeon (CM) I never even got downed once, but warrior and guardian were screwed.
    Last edited by mmoca01e16f76d; 2012-09-03 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I love the dungeons. It feels like me and 4 fellow adventurers (or more, or less in a mini dungeon) are venturing into a dangerous place where anything can happen. We are not just walking in and and running through a little rotation when everyone is ready - it's not simply a gear check (the most boring of 'mechanics' I can think of), it's about survival and teamwork.

The excitement of the dungeons really gets my heart pumping - bring on the chaos!
    ^^ this I simply loved brutal and chaotic feel, just like a real battle I imagine