View Poll Results: Do you agree with ArenaNet's decision not to have mounts in the game?

Voters
555. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

288 51.89%
  • No.

83 14.95%
  • Yes, but they should introduce mounts in the next expansion.

27 4.86%
  • Yes, but they should introduce mounts in a patch before the next expansion.

13 2.34%
  • Yes, but they should increase the movement speed for the players.

46 8.29%
  • No. They should've made mounts unlockable at level 80.

33 5.95%
  • No. They should've made mounts very expensive so most people would get them late in the game.

41 7.39%
  • Undecided.

24 4.32%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from games like WoW, it feels weird without them, but with 1001 waypoints in the game... nope. We don't need them. I just hope that copper is cheap later on in the game. I hop around a lot so I notice the waypoint fees.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

Deleted
    I really like that there is no mounts.

Deleted
    No need for mount in my opinion.

I agree that when it comes to redundancies..., the game doesn't need mounts cause of waypoints, but one should really factor in everything. Immersion/cosmetic/aesthetic/etc is important and are perfectly valid reasons, mounts should be in the game if anything just for the sake of immersion..etc. Do at least npcs have mounts? riding on machines or creatures? a game full of technology/magic..guns..etc, I do kind of expect to see people riding on things... It would be nice just to have a mount just for cosmetic, as one suggested. as for waypoints, maybe some players probably like to ride around the world without using waypoints, just to see the scenery..etc. In short, I say it is needed for rpg/immersion..etc. and it shouldn't affect anyone who is against the idea, if it was just cosmetic for example. The game Already have things where you can transform into creatures..etc little toys, existing for no other reason then the devs thinking it might be fun to use once in a while, adding cosmetic mounts wouldn't be any different.

You'll be able to buy them in the shop eventually, no doubt...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like mounts, purely because I like mounts. Dunno, the idea of riding an animal/whatever around just seems cool to me, my favorite mount in WoW is the Night elfs saber, I remember farming and buying runecloth like mad on 3 characters to get exalted with them on those 3 characters to get their mount, purely because it looked so awesome.

However, as others have pointed out, due to the amount of waypoints in the game, it really isn't needed. But I'd still like them for the cool factor

10+ Year Old Account
    Mounts would be pointless, the world isn't built for them and I've had no issues getting around quickly. Like if you think traveling is slow in gw2 you have whole other issues with your brain.

I do. With all the waypoints, I don't miss them at all. That doesn't mean I'll complain if they DO introduce them in the future, but I'm happy as it stands now as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is silly they dont have mounts, especially considering their weapon as a spec setup would allowed them to have mounted combat, and also considering how stupidly long it takes to get places in WvW, where mounted combat would be so fucking epic! It also could have been a big deal for getting level 80.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes (and my "yes" option is not up there).

I like it because Anet put plenty in the game to look at while you're walking. Allow you time to "stop and pick the roses" if you will. On top of the fact you can't seem to swing a dead Charr with out hitting a heart quest, DE, or some kind of collectible; there's plenty to do along the way.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I think it is silly they dont have mounts, especially considering their weapon as a spec setup would allowed them to have mounted combat, and also considering how stupidly long it takes to get places in WvW, where mounted combat would be so fucking epic! It also could have been a big deal for getting level 80.
    Mounted combat is rarely as epic as it sounds. It typically ends up being clunky and worthless.

There's just no need for them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Mounted combat is rarely as epic as it sounds. It typically ends up being clunky and worthless.
    Indeed, it needs to be developed very well, and in most cases it isn't.

I think mounts are terrible. I think it would take away from the experience of running from point to point which is actually a good part of the game. Getting on your mount and running through mobs is basically a way to not play the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toinouze View Post
    Refusing mounts just to be "so different than wow" is ridiculous.
    Hardly the reason why.
    Can't remember any mounts in GW1. The system is virtually the same. You port to the areas you want to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    The travel time in WvW is intentional. Battles would go from lasting long to last forever.
    It also gives a much better reason to coordinate between guilds to setup waypoints closer to the frontlines.
    Last edited by mmoc6ee9171f6f; 2012-09-03 at 12:51 AM.

Deleted
    And another discussion full of people without a single bit of knowledge how game design works.
    Just because you like to eat cake does not mean that you know how one should be baked.

Take repair cost as an example. Make a poll who likes repair costs. The likelihood of it being over 50% "I like repair costs" is pretty much zero. Yet if you just remove them, you remove half of the death penalty and also remove the fun about trying not do die to stupid things, and the fun to have beaten a great challenge without dying. Ask how many players like to be able to graveyard zerg an encounter. Close to none. Yet still no one likes repaircosts.

Sure, you could now argue about a proper replacement of repair costs, which sadly would just lead to another said discussion.

TL;DR: Don't "agree" or "disagree" if you aren't a game designer yourself. You can like it or you can not like it, but don't pretend to have a better understanding of the consequences than arenanet does.
    Last edited by mmoc1f853858c0; 2012-09-03 at 12:59 AM.

Deleted
    I wonder what people would think about mounts just for the fun of it, like having a mount that isnt faster than walking speed
    Yet having a mount for the vanity. don't think thats a bad idea tbh but thats my opinion

Yes, I do. There's so many Waypoints around the map that travelling to places you've already been is easy and fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just give me more speed boost capabilities for running back in WvW and resource grinding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    Imho if there would not be instanced between map and it would be all continous like in other games, I would rather say mounts are welcomed but as the way its designed having mounts its kinda strange. I personally like the way it is.. but if you are used to have mounts i can understand your dissapointment. Regarding its slow.. i would say that mmo´s are not designed to rush all your way quickly but pacely (take your time see the view and enjoy the game).