Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Yikes I must be doing something wrong then. My lvl 11 Engineer (Thief I guess?) gets smacked almost immediately if I take on anything 2 levels above me. In fact, I still have a quest in the Nightmare court where I have to escape the zone. The mobs are now lvl 8 but I get destroyed with 3 of them attacking me. I can't leave the area until the next one has mobs my same lvl else I just find myself teleporting back to repair often.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    I don't mean to bash the game but not having a zone-wide announcement for the most epic encounters/events is a bit of a stupid design. How does anet expect us to find find these events?
    Well, epic encounters don't have zone-wide announcements per se, but there are people who ask for help on map chat, especially with big events.
    Ofcourse, a little more notification from the game itself might be helpfull, but after all, one of the goals of this game remains discovering events on your own.

About loot being underwhelming: that does change at higher levels when you start doing world bosses.
    I did tequatle the sunless yesterday and the loot that dropped for me was a lvl 80 rare staff, a lvl 80 masterworks mace, 2 lvl 79 fine items (one of which was actually an upgrade) and some gems.
    Ofcourse, this event will only happen once in a while, but when it comes to loot, it was definitely worth the damage to my gear at the end of it.

One last thing though, don't focus too much on loot.
    I've killed quite a couple of champion monster and not all of them dropped great loot for me, but most of them were great fun.
    I even fought the giant you were talking about earlier and even though he was difficult, he was also alot of fun to complete.

TL;DR: don't focus too much on the destination and try to enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by zaradann View Post
    Yikes I must be doing something wrong then. My lvl 11 Engineer (Thief I guess?) gets smacked almost immediately if I take on anything 2 levels above me. In fact, I still have a quest in the Nightmare court where I have to escape the zone. The mobs are now lvl 8 but I get destroyed with 3 of them attacking me. I can't leave the area until the next one has mobs my same lvl else I just find myself teleporting back to repair often.
    What now, Engineer or Thief? ^^ Both of them can do higher-level content just fine, of course not as easy as a guardian, but still. On Thief, pistol/dagger is great for soloing hard elites and short-bow is very nice for getting packs of mobs killed (as you can stack 12+ bleeds with cluster bombs on a bunch of mobs within seconds).

Engineer is even better - you have access to turrets, shield, lots of boons etc. For multiple opponents, Flamethrower + Elixier B does wonders. Same with grenades and bombs. With bombs, you can actually just kite in circles while placing bombs - works great agains melee opponents.