In desperate need of a upgrade on my PC

So I had originally purchased my PC from DELL back in early 2004 and at first it was S**T!!! Luckily I had a friend some what nurture it to some what of a gaming standards, back then. Again that was several years ago, I mean it SEVERAL years ago. I had been dealing with it but now since I can't I am in need desperate need of upgrading this fatty hamster to at the least a skinnier hamster if at all possible all the while not breaking my piggy bank

My PC statics as follows:

PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz
    MEMORY: 2.50GB
    SYSTEM TYPE: 32 - Bit
    GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (Don't think they make this type anymore ... lol)
    HARD DRIVE: 150GB (I think )

I would like to play games such as Total War: Shogun 2, Guild Wars 2 etc. with out the hellacious downloading wait times hell I cant even play LoL with out being the last one to load, by far (everyone at 100% me at 50% if i shut down ALL my background programs) If this community can PLEASE, I beg of you find a way for me to not have to scrap my entire PC in-order to gain the right necessities for my PC to play the games I enjoy. Thank you and GOOD LUCK
    Last edited by Dyzon84; 2012-09-03 at 03:35 AM.

Maybe a new GPU and PSU? Your CPU is going to hold you back significantly in any modern game even if you do replace those two.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Maybe a new GPU and PSU? Your CPU is going to hold you back significantly in any modern game even if you do replace those two.
    Idk that would do much lol, really bud you need to save your $$$ and buy a new pc asap.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Not sure if you're just trying to be nice? We both know any money spent here is wasted, he needs a new rig.

The GPU and PSU can be reused when he decides that the upgrade did almost nothing and wants a new build.

Thank you for the advise/information. My next question is... Whats the best way to gain a new PC buy parts to build my own or buy pre-built... What would you recommend for lets say a $500-$700($800 if its a drastic improvement) dollar budget? I'd rather not drop the 1k I did when I originally purchased this hunk of crap. I also have a friend that can build it if needed.

Again any info/advise is much appreciated! Thanks again!!!

Mobo: ASRock Z75$84.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz 2x4GB$35.99
    GPU: MSI 7850$204.99 AR
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB$69.99
    PSU: XFX Pro 550W$49.99 AR
    Case: Corsair 300R$49.99 AR AC

Estimated Total Price – $716