Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Redefining a Genre?

Where did people get the Guild Wars 2 is "Redefining the Genre" crap from?!

I've been playing for the last week and love the animations, the skills, the way you swap weapons and get a whole new set of skills but really don't see that its vastly different to anything we've seen before.

The world events are basically just quests you don't have to pick up or hand in, as most of them take place in the same way in the same place, like a quest does. Also this is hardly a new concept - they are identical to rift's in Rift just more common.

The graphics aren't "ground breaking" in the sense that TERA's are as good if not better.

The story quests are great but again, this was done in Age of Conan and SWTOR.

Points of Interest are quite cool but again, all you do is run to them and 90% of the time there is nothing there to do.

"Skill Challenges" are similar / the same as puzzles in Rift or running into an elite rare in WoW.

Vista's are, in fairness, pretty unique and I enjoyed the ones that you had to work out how to get to.

It has a cash shop that sells armor skins, experience boosts, pets, more bank space etc which you'd get in most F2P mmos in a cash shop and free in most paid mmos.

I enjoyed GW2, but I don't feel it is even close to "genre defining" and was fairly let down by how ordinary it is for an mmo. I am not here just to bash it, im curious to see why some people declare it genre defining and if anyone else agrees.

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

To be honest the most enjoyable thing in GW2 for me is jumping puzzles, which is funny because I thought I would like this the least out of all the other features

The Lion's Arch puzzle is fantastic.

And yeah, the game is not really "genre defining", but it's a cool mix of not-so-commonly-seen features in MMOs.
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-09-03 at 07:48 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

there is no more competition in pve...

play ANY other mmo and there would be competition in pve...

that to me, is quite genre re-defining...and MUCH welcome!

pve is now about co-operation, thank you anet!!
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2012-09-03 at 07:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much that it is 'different' your right that DE/Hearts etc are essentially "quests" BUT what is different for me anyway, is that it has brought the 'fun' back, you get lost in the game and suddenly your like wow i'm level xxx rather than ugh i have to do this, or that again.. kwim? Aside from DE's etc the game as a whole is unique(i think) in that it is simply enjoyable to play, and that there is no grinding as such, in that you dont have to give up your life to get anywhere. I dunno that is how i see it. Of course it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but each to their own /shrug

ETA: Also i see GW2 as a lot of other good/great/better features from a whole bunch of other games, all mashed into one.
    Last edited by Cherrysoul; 2012-09-03 at 07:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That whole redefining nonsense is ad man talk. Now compared to the last few RPG's I've played, GW2 is refreshingly different, but not redefining.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    To be honest the most enjoyable thing in GW2 for me is jumping puzzles, which is funny because I thought I would like this the least out of all the other features

The Lion's Arch puzzle is fantastic.

And yeah, the game is not really "genre defining", but it's a cool mix of not-so-commonly-seen features in MMOs.
    puzzles, there's two there =D

@OP And when you put it as broadly as you did every mmo is the same, it's when you get more detailed, sure the DE's and hearts are like "quests" but you know what if they didn't have those it wouldn't even be an RPG... i personally don't see the skill challenges being the same as either of those things you put, i'd say that the puzzles in rift are much closer to the actual jumping puzzles in the game... the things that give achievements and are hidden?

And this may just be me, but one of the things i love (and kinda hate because i hate depressing) is that the story is actually dark, it makes you feel like you do lose, you aren't some unstoppable force you fuck up pretty big now and again, and there are consequences, not only that but you can not, and will not, be able to save everyone sometimes you may have to choose between an entire town, or a character you've spent several quests with and have grown very attached to. I think that's great, and something SWTOR never had. In SWTOR it was like you make a choice and that plays no further role in your story ever, i could be a mass murderer killing everyone i ever encounter and never even encounter a hiccup because of it, where as in GW2 if i choose to say, let a city burn so i can save a friend... i not only get some angry looks from some of the super white knights, but those people (especially if they're in your personal story instance) are all dead and gone...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I too really like the jumping puzzles. But yeah, GW2 is hardly redefining MMOs. It looks amazing, and the detail on everything is awesome, but the combat and quests feel generic with a better coat of paint. Cash shop items are a big letdown for me, especially the lvl80 transmog stones that are only found in the cash shop and obviously very important in a game where the main goal is appearance. Also leveling can feel like you are always lagging a bit behind, which makes the EXP boosts from the cash shop very attractive. Meh.

I still love it though, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    there is no more competition in pve...

play ANY other mmo and there would be competition in pve...

that to me, is quite genre re-defining...and MUCH welcome!

pve is now about co-operation, thank you anet!!
    What competition? Blah?

Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    Where did people get the Guild Wars 2 is "Redefining the Genre" crap from?!

I've been playing for the last week and love the animations, the skills, the way you swap weapons and get a whole new set of skills but really don't see that its vastly different to anything we've seen before.

The world events are basically just quests you don't have to pick up or hand in, as most of them take place in the same way in the same place, like a quest does. Also this is hardly a new concept - they are identical to rift's in Rift just more common.

Snip
    Which are identical to warhammer public quests just more common and accessible. I do agree that people calling Guild Wars 2 mmo revolution/second coming/best game EVAR are overly dramatic and exaggerating fanboys.

There are quite a lot of things and cool ideas with quite a bit of depth that were borrowed from many different games and worked upon. Guild Wars made an evolutionary step towards the future, not really redefined the genre. That's all the credit I can give it. I would love to see "zone transition" portal gone and complexity added to the PvE game.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Last Saturday I spent my hangover'ish day just exploring stuff. I was on my way to a story quest area and had to run through a whole area to get there... Ended up clearing every Vista and finding every Point of Interest on the way as well as finding a "secre cave" with quite a few Champion-mobs, 2 chests and a skill-point challenge at the end which I couldnt see on the map before.

Took me a few hours to do all of this but I had fun doing so and by the time I finally got to the Story Quest I realized I had leveled 2 levels just from all the exploring and doing random "non-heart" dynamic events on the way. Though I did do a few hearts as well. Best part was the "secret" Champion-filled cave which I cleared with a few other people who had stumbled in the same cave before me.

Maybe not genre-defining, but definately more DYNAMIC than any other MMO there is at the moment. The best part is that almost anything you do will give you a DECENT amount of exp, unlike in most other games. Wanna WvWvW? It's good EXP. Wanna explore? It's good EXP and nice rewards once you complete a zone! And you'll most likely find nice random events with good rewards WHILE exploring.

In terms of game mechanics, I don't find GW2 is redefining the genre, but they added alot of little things which made many player behavior changes redefining in that you don't see in many MMOs anymore.

This is one of the few MMOs where I see cooperation behavior is encourage rather than competitive behavior.
    In most MMOs, you head towards a resource nodes and you see other players heading for same node, when they stalled by a nearby mob, you rejoice and quickly mine that node and leave them behind. It was refreshing in GW2 to have total strangers working together to clear out a mine so that we all can mine all the resource nodes inside. Or working with strangers (ungrouped) in killing elite/boss mobs.

Deleted
    Take away the "de" in that "Redefining" of yours. That is what the game does. And on this forum the vast majority of those who use terms such as "revolutionary" about this game are those who.say that the game isn't so. It isn't and most have never claimed that it is. A breath of fresh air in a genre as stale as seven years old bread.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    The Guild Wars 2 bible that you get with the collector's edition uses that phrase on like every page. It's not really redefining a genre, rather it completes the same goal as other MMOs but it does it in a new and different way, which still feels very refreshing imo.
    Last edited by BananaInsane; 2012-09-03 at 08:51 AM.

Deleted
    I feel the same really, I love the game and the events are fun but let's be honest most of them are either follow quests or defending a camp from attacks. It's still exciting though running through a zone and an event suddenly starts.

The combat is really good, on my warrior I use DW and a bow it's really cool switching out depending on the situation and I love the graphics not only do they look pretty but I feel they set a really nice atmosphere within the game, it's certainly one of the best MMO's iv played in recent years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most games redefining a genre didn't do so by reinventing the wheel but by using the correct ingredients and creating a game played differently from them.
    In an analogy it's like having chocolate and milk and making a generic chocolate icecream from it or...making a stracciatella icecream from it.
    There is no doubt that the way you play a game like WoW and GW2 for instance differ a lot and GW2 allows also for a more casual approach in its truest sense actually whereas in traditional MMORPGs you would have to fight ideological wars over it.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

The hype train for GW2 was just too strong, I am not sure if the devs themselves pushed the "redefining the genre" stuff or the fans just did that but it was too much and it pretty much just divides people from the start which is sad. I have not seen anything in the game that is really creative in that sense so it is a good thing then that personally I value good execution over pure originality which is something they have nailed. The best implementation of the public quest system I have seen yet, fun crafting etc. If you stand back and take a look at the big picture here, I think it is all pretty impressive.

I agree. This game got hyped up almost as much as ToR did and while I didn't come into the game due to hype and just wanted to play a game on the side, I don't see where the so called revolutionary gameplay came from. If anything, this game reminds me a lot like Everquest 2, so much that I just call the game EQ3 sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    puzzles, there's two there =D
    Actually there's 3

Sharkmaw Caverns, the pirate one behind Tokk's Mill.
    NE one behind the waterfall.
    And my favorite of all time - Troll's End.

Some guy asked in Chat today how to get that really high vista above the Mystic Forge so I told him I'd show him. When we get up there, I'm like, you know there's a really cool jump puzzle you can get to from up here. He's like really. I say sure, look down - see that little tiny pentagon shape down there? That's a well. We can jump down into the well, swim through these caverns, come out into a dungeon, jump puzzle through that, come out on the other side where there's a garden where we can pick veggies and a chest with a magnificent view of the city!

He was skeptical. lol

So I says follow me!

Mwahahaha - he was blown away when I led him through, had never seen anything like that in a game before. And of course I got a kick out of leading the way and showing off just one of the cool things in Tyria
    Valar morghulis

When you attempt to redefine a genre you're going to have a huge uphill battle that you're likely to use.

World of Warcraft is the dominant MMORPG currently and looks set to expand more over the upcoming Expansion Pack. Now when you're coming up against players who are set in their ways, enjoy the current model that WoW offers, trying to break that model can and will upset a lot of players, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good thing to do.

I've always wanted to start my own game development company, as many young men have, but the reality of it is coming closer and closer each day, and I would also go the same route that Guild Wars 2 has. Set your own niche out, offer it is immense quality and you're due for success.

I've yet to play Guild Wars 2, and I probably wont until the new year, but from what I have seen on YouTube, it does look amazing and it looks like they have managed to successfully redefine the limitations and boundaries of the genre. Only time will tell if it is a permanent success.

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 10:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Some guy asked in Chat today how to get that really high vista above the Mystic Forge so I told him I'd show him. When we get up there, I'm like, you know there's a really cool jump puzzle you can get to from up here. He's like really. I say sure, look down - see that little tiny pentagon shape down there? That's a well. We can jump down into the well, swim through these caverns, come out into a dungeon, jump puzzle through that, come out on the other side where there's a garden where we can pick veggies and a chest with a magnificent view of the city!

He was skeptical. lo, So I says follow me!

Mwahahaha - he was blown away when I led him through, had never seen anything like that in a game before. And of course I got a kick out of leading the way and showing off just one of the cool things in Tyria
    Things like this make me believe Guild Wars 2 has a good future ahead of it. World of Warcraft offers nothing in comparison, and I feel is going to far with their Queue Systems. I still love WoW, but I envy some of the Guild Wars 2 features and treasures.

I don't think you can say the genre is redefined but GW2 has raised the bar pretty freaking high. Right now no other MMO compares to it.