Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    -Combat/character versatile builds (no cookie cutter builds): yes tera and some other games also have action combat but is terrible design...I logged to wow to see my warrior after the new patch and was feeling very weird that I couldn't actively dodge/Block and was sitting there waiting for an RNG dodge/block. It seems so lazy and weird and very outdated..
    -Dynamic events are in no way identical to Rift. Rift is fire mobs wave 1, fire mobs wave 2, boss. same MOBS, same pattern. GW2 have lot of variety in Dynamic events that also chain depending on results
    -No competition in PVE, I see the copper vein there and it is just for me. I can slowly go there, fight my way there without having in mind that someone will sneak in to steal it. I fight a mob and someone comes nearby and hit mobs too. Fine! thats great, we will kill mobs faster and we both get loot, I am happy he came here. Resurrect! Yea how many time people res each other...this is awesome, you see a dead player and 4 people running by to res him..I don't care if they do it for achievement or not, it is happening, while in other MMO even if you die very rare you get the "release come back noob, don't wait for res" Generally, is the first MMO that seeing people around you is always a very good thing.

Now, somehow magically you still need to hit buttons to use skills...I don't know what "redefine" is in your mind, but I am sure lot of the features of GW2 will be a "must-have" for future MMOs
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-09-03 at 09:56 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Redefining the genre" is just bulshytt.
    Guild Wars 2 is more a refinement of a lot of things, without really breaking new ground. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's no Watchmen or Half-Life.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    Where did people get the Guild Wars 2 is "Redefining the Genre" crap from?!

I've been playing for the last week and love the animations, the skills, the way you swap weapons and get a whole new set of skills but really don't see that its vastly different to anything we've seen before.

The world events are basically just quests you don't have to pick up or hand in, as most of them take place in the same way in the same place, like a quest does. Also this is hardly a new concept - they are identical to rift's in Rift just more common.

The graphics aren't "ground breaking" in the sense that TERA's are as good if not better.

The story quests are great but again, this was done in Age of Conan and SWTOR.

Points of Interest are quite cool but again, all you do is run to them and 90% of the time there is nothing there to do.

"Skill Challenges" are similar / the same as puzzles in Rift or running into an elite rare in WoW.

Vista's are, in fairness, pretty unique and I enjoyed the ones that you had to work out how to get to.

It has a cash shop that sells armor skins, experience boosts, pets, more bank space etc which you'd get in most F2P mmos in a cash shop and free in most paid mmos.

I enjoyed GW2, but I don't feel it is even close to "genre defining" and was fairly let down by how ordinary it is for an mmo. I am not here just to bash it, im curious to see why some people declare it genre defining and if anyone else agrees.
    It's still an MMO, but they took a lot of things to a new level I think. Best part for me is the exploration element and dydnamic events. Sure, Tera had nice graphics, but I like the art style in Guild Wars 2 more. Plus I love the world in Guild Wars 2. It feels alive and believable. There's constantly happening something. Tera's world felt pretty static and boring.
    Last edited by Emrendil; 2012-09-03 at 10:15 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    Where did people get the Guild Wars 2 is "Redefining the Genre" crap from?!

I've been playing for the last week and love the animations, the skills, the way you swap weapons and get a whole new set of skills but really don't see that its vastly different to anything we've seen before.

The world events are basically just quests you don't have to pick up or hand in, as most of them take place in the same way in the same place, like a quest does. Also this is hardly a new concept - they are identical to rift's in Rift just more common.

The graphics aren't "ground breaking" in the sense that TERA's are as good if not better.

The story quests are great but again, this was done in Age of Conan and SWTOR.

Points of Interest are quite cool but again, all you do is run to them and 90% of the time there is nothing there to do.

"Skill Challenges" are similar / the same as puzzles in Rift or running into an elite rare in WoW.

Vista's are, in fairness, pretty unique and I enjoyed the ones that you had to work out how to get to.

It has a cash shop that sells armor skins, experience boosts, pets, more bank space etc which you'd get in most F2P mmos in a cash shop and free in most paid mmos.

I enjoyed GW2, but I don't feel it is even close to "genre defining" and was fairly let down by how ordinary it is for an mmo. I am not here just to bash it, im curious to see why some people declare it genre defining and if anyone else agrees.
    redefine [ˌriːdɪˈfaɪn]
    vb (tr)
    to define (something) again or differently

Which is what GW2 definitely did, it may not be ground breaking but it most definitely redefined certain concepts, to the point, that people coming to play it from other MMOs claim to be lost, cos things are being done/approached from a different perspective. And that is all that word means.
    Last edited by mag07; 2012-09-03 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Actually there's 3

Sharkmaw Caverns, the pirate one behind Tokk's Mill.
    NE one behind the waterfall.
    And my favorite of all time - Troll's End.

Some guy asked in Chat today how to get that really high vista above the Mystic Forge so I told him I'd show him. When we get up there, I'm like, you know there's a really cool jump puzzle you can get to from up here. He's like really. I say sure, look down - see that little tiny pentagon shape down there? That's a well. We can jump down into the well, swim through these caverns, come out into a dungeon, jump puzzle through that, come out on the other side where there's a garden where we can pick veggies and a chest with a magnificent view of the city!

He was skeptical. lol

So I says follow me!

Mwahahaha - he was blown away when I led him through, had never seen anything like that in a game before. And of course I got a kick out of leading the way and showing off just one of the cool things in Tyria
    lol every time i went to that vista (at least 5 times in the beta) i jumped off, landed on the edge of the well and then jumped off the edge onto the floor not even realising that was there until a friend tried to do what i did and fell down it xD. Damn me and my really good jumping abilities!! And i'm going to go check out that waterfall one like right now!! thanks for the tip!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

You know, even though it feels far from redefining genre for me, I have to admit that for the cost of an average game without any subscription costs, GW2 contains an unholy shitload of gameplay. It might not be the second coming in MMO, and I might dislike Dynamic Events as they are done, but this game is still A LOT of entertainment for sixty bucks.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    I don't think you can say the genre is redefined but GW2 has raised the bar pretty freaking high. Right now no other MMO compares to it.
    If you mean in its lack of quality.
    Sounds like I missed the boat, I actually tried the game and hated it - looks like if I only tried some "jumping puzzles" maybe I would've liked the game more. @ Eggoman - everyone has a right to an opinion and you have yours here, but its so the opposite of mine I just had to chime in - no disrespect intended.

OP is a WoW fanboy.

You can see it through the veil.

Infracted
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-03 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some people are taking words like "revolutionary" and "redefining" to their extremes.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    -Combat/character versatile builds (no cookie cutter builds): yes tera and some other games also have action combat but is terrible design...I logged to wow to see my warrior after the new patch and was feeling very weird that I couldn't actively dodge/Block and was sitting there waiting for an RNG dodge/block. It seems so lazy and weird and very outdated..
    Well maybe because your doing it wrong, if your tanking you have stuns, fears, self heals, damage reduction cds, Ap reduction cds, spell reflection, interupts, and shield block which gaurantees you block all attacks, oh and throw in shield barrier too, you could also throw in trinket use. So yeah, if as a tank your standing waiting for RNG you are a bad player. If your a dps, why the hell are you wanting to dodge block anyway, Blizzard gives you far far more tools than GW2 ever does. Its easy to throw in lazy design, just be able to back it up. The only 'active' bit about gw2 is dodge.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-09-03 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I think some people are taking words like "revolutionary" and "redefining" to their extremes.
    Uh, those words describe extremes. Just saying.

i think it actually is and its awesome u get platformer puzzles and stuffs we've seen before but in a more defined way its a good job for anet

It is a slightly more polished conglomeration of good ideas of multiple MMOs.

Good game, interesting, but not redefining the genre.

I wouldn't call it "genre redefining", but so far, I am definitely enjoying it.
    I also believe it raised the quality bar. It will be good for the MMO market in general because it will stir more competition.

Maybe not a redefinition but certainly it's a decent remix and has the least "WoW-clone" features of MMOs I've tried in the past few years.

Deleted
    Its not genre redefining but its definitively not a WoW clone, its very different in both how the combat flows, slightly different in how you level as its more based on exploring the land and doing things you come across rather then following a set path. It's raising the bar much but its not genre redefining.

Something doesn't have to have totally innovating and new features just to be redefining/revolutionary, you only need the RESULT to be good to be redefine something.

An example is Smart Phone; all of its features are arguably not new at all: Touch screen has been out for awhile, and all of those calendar/notepads/games/etc features can easily be found on existing PDAs. But companies like Apple managed to combine all of those features into a cellphone really well in ways that are very appealing and user friendly to the mass public. And now, no one will argue that Smart Phone is the next step in the evolution of cell phones. Therefore, Smart Phones redefined cell phones without really inventing anything completely new itself.

In the same way, I feel GW2 did a good job redefining the genre with 2 outcome:

1) I've never played an MMO where I feel so natural to cooperate with the strangers. Everywhere I go, I see bunch of people; whom all join in and work together when an event occurs nearby. Contrast to previous MMOs like WoW, I'm encouraged to AVOID strangers in the open world, I'm encouraged to compete and tag their mob and loot the quest items first, and I'm rewarded to gather and farm in places where there are no one. This completely contradicts what an MMO should be, and GW2 was spot on to fixing it. I'm definitely gonna have a hard time when (and IF) I transition back to levelling in WoW when MoP comes out;

2) I've also never felt so rewarding and fun in an MMO for exploring; I had a decent time at the start of Vanilla WoW (arguably my first 3D MMO), but GW2's explorations and puzzles are on a completely different level. The fact that there are no mount (especially flying) also helps to add to the epic feel.
    Last edited by Seolla; 2012-09-03 at 09:30 PM.

Well maybe because your doing it wrong, if your tanking you have stuns, fears, self heals, damage reduction cds, Ap reduction cds, spell reflection, interupts, and shield block which gaurantees you block all attacks, oh and throw in shield barrier too, you could also throw in trinket use. So yeah, if as a tank your standing waiting for RNG you are a bad player. If your a dps, why the hell are you wanting to dodge block anyway, Blizzard gives you far far more tools than GW2 ever does. Its easy to throw in lazy design, just be able to back it up. The only 'active' bit about gw2 is dodge.
    man I am tanking from vanilla in a good guild..I am not just stay there waiting things to happen, but as a tank most of the times you have to stay as still as possible rather than moving mobs around and melee lose precious seconds of dps..I said it is weird that I don't actively dodge attacks, it doesn't have the feeling of the action...there is no movement...activating a trinket just gives you more % into RNG table..damage reduction cd's just give you a % less damage and are specific moments that you use them in each fight..I fight a boss 20 times and all those times I use my damage reduction in specific moments. Its easy to imagine things that you are actively dodge things, but the truth is that all you can do is help the rng and stay still there staring at the DBM timers..you don't see the monsters around you raising their weapon to hit you and you immediately dodge them..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Perhaps GW2 didn't redefine the genre, but it's definitely the best mmo to be released since WoW. The graphics are amazing, I love being rewarded for exploration, the combat is smooth and fluid. This game is very popular and that popularity is only going to grow, even with MoP on the horizon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    Perhaps GW2 didn't redefine the genre, but it's definitely the best mmo to be released since WoW. The graphics are amazing, I love being rewarded for exploration, the combat is smooth and fluid. This game is very popular and that popularity is only going to grow, even with MoP on the horizon.
    In some sense it may GROW in popularity when MoP comes out (you know there will be people who quit because MoP didn't live up to the unrealistic game changing expectations some people have for every expansion)
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.