Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Police shoots dog defending its master

Don't know if its posted already, just saw it minutes ago, but the actual event happened 2 weeks ago. But here's the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLNvT...ayer_embedded#!

For those that don't understand, this happened in NYC. An old man fell down laying on the road due to sickness. His dog is attacking those that come close to the master. When the police tries to get closer, the dog attacked and the police shot it.

Edit: Thanks to IIamaKing for the following read : http://eastvillage.thelocal.nytimes....the-aftermath/
    Last edited by hplaner; 2012-08-31 at 09:30 PM.

So sad :/.
    Sig by Listrata

What a fucking moron.

Looks like good police work to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I understand the dog and I understand the police (them shooting the dog, not them standing around doing nothing for 15 minutes afterwards). A shame that such a loyal animal had to be put down.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

It's very sad. I would almost say it's part of the training, but there needs to be a bit of common sense there too. I mean the dog is defending it's master, that's what dogs do.

"Sorry guys- it's hotkeyed onto my mouse..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Many people will hate me for that, but totally understandable. In the end it's just a dog hindering (maybe even endangering) humans at helping humans.

What would be the headline if they waited for some animal experts to arrive and sedate the dog and meanwhile the man died or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Looks like good police work to me.
    I agree. The man's life is more important than the dog's, and the dog was keeping the police or anyone at all from helping the man obviously in need of help.

They could have approached it differently, but all that matters is that the man got his help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galilei View Post
    I agree. The man's life is more important than the dog's, and the dog was keeping the police or anyone at all from helping the man obviously in need of help.

They could have approached it differently, but all that matters is that the man got his help.
    Sucks to say, but I agree with this. They had to get to the man and help him.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Many people will hate me for that, but totally understandable.
    They could've just cleared the area of all the dozens of people that the dog felt were a threat and then approach the dog or the man calmly by one police officer.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-08-31 at 08:16 PM.

The dog was just being loyal to it's master but at the same time it was actually preventing it's master getting help... And then it charged at the police in an aggresive manner.... It's not like it was a tiny labrador or something either. It was a mean looking dog acting aggresively while at the same time stopping the injured man being helped. The only choice available was to shoot the dog.

I heard about this story maybe 3 weeks ago ish and I think I actually read that the dog did survive (i'm not certain).

The only problem I have with this is them ignoring the guy after the dog is dead
    Last edited by hplaner; 2012-08-31 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
    It's very sad. I would almost say it's part of the training, but there needs to be a bit of common sense there too. I mean the dog is defending it's master, that's what dogs do.
    The man looks like he needs medical attention. The dog is preventing that. Unfortunate that the dog is shot because of its loyalty, but the man's life comes before the dog's. I could point out lots of incidents where I think police have acted incorrectly, but this isn't really one.

Mans life is more important then the dog
    Last edited by 2s2p; 2013-04-28 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    The dog was just being loyal to it's master but at the same time it was actually preventing it's master getting help... And then it charged at the police in an aggresive manner.... It's not like it was a tiny labrador or something either. It was a mean looking dog acting aggresively while at the same time stopping the injured man being helped. The only choice available was to shoot the dog.

I heard about this story maybe 3 weeks ago ish and I think I actually read that the dog did survive (i'm not certain).
    yeah I just checked, it happened on the 16th I think, but I only saw it just today.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They could've just cleared the area of all the dozens of people that the dog felt were a threat and then approach the dog or the man calmly by one police officer.
    I think the dog would have found anyone approaching a threat... Even just 1 officer.

Whats with all the dogs getting killed lately?? Looks like burglars and policemen don't like dogs..

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how in the first minute and a half of the video everyone is screaming and yelling about the dog, the cops are surrounding and talking about the dog and the old man is just laying there motionless and no one even seems to care, really? I know he's dead but there was no attempt to help save his life if he had a chance. Please put a spoiler about the video too, the dog is shot just seconds in when the video starts. It's sad to see it happen but I understand why they had to.

Edit: I mean, really, NO ONE cares about the dead human, just the dog. Disgusting.
    Last edited by Palmz; 2012-08-31 at 08:24 PM.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Well clearly he needed to shoot it because if an ambulance couldn't get to that man within seemingly 15 min, there's no way in hell animal control could. Still somehow like 4 patrol cars got there... funny world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rabies is the deadliest disease in existence (in terms of fatality rate). Any and all animals aggressive towards humans should be put down.

That being said, its very sad.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.