Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Burning out fast, need help

Guess my question is, what are playing for at end game?

I'm lvl 24. I got all the skill point unlocks I want to use. Been spending my time in WvWvW and I'm burning out on the same ole zerg gameplay that's in every mmo. Unfortunately this game is no different in the WvW zones. Big zerg > little zerg range spam. From what I'm seeing the end game is nothing more than a dress up game, get your coins and unlock the skins to change up your look. What am I missing? I'm not talking about the pve game and the countless events and map unlocks, that stuff straight up bores me to be honest. Is this game just Call of Duty , but in a mmo form? We que up for matches and rinse repeat?

So, from a pvp view, what is the end game of gw2? Thanks.
    Last edited by Orcatron; 2012-09-03 at 04:09 PM.

Deleted
    My team of 15 can defend mostly anything for hours on end against your big zerg. If you are just running around in a group with no tactics, I understand why you are not enjoying WvW.

Apart from that you also have Structured PvP, which is a whole other beast.

Deleted
    World vs World and Structured PvP.

If you want anything more from an MMO then you'll be hard pressed to find it. I think WvW is more than a big zerg, it just appears like a big zerg. It's all about how you play and tactical positioning. Flanking a group of enemies with a smaller force can be vitally important to completely destroy their force. Protecting a siege weapon from a zerg can be vital in taking down a gate. Playing aggressively and moving towards your enemies even when the odds are stupid will force them back. This way you can push into their territory without even winning the fight, because you advancing makes the enemies think you're winning, so they retreat.

All those little mind-tricks are far more than just a zerg. People are far too caught up on 'oh it's a big team fight it must be a zerg.' when it doesn't work like that. Zerging fails, tactics overcome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcatron View Post
    Guess my question is, what are playing for at end game?

I'm lvl 24. I got all the skill point unlocks I want to use. Been spending my time in WvWvW and. I'm burning out on the same ole zerg gameplay that's in every mmo. Unfortunately this game is no different in the WvW zones. Big zerg > little zerg. From what I'm seeing the end game is nothing more than a dress up game, get your coins and unlock the skins to change up your look. What am I missing? I'm not talking about the pve game and the countless events and map unlocks, that stuff straight up bores me to be honest. Is this game just Call of Duty , but in a mmo form? We que up for matches and rinse repeat?

So, from a pvp view, what is the end game of gw2? Thanks.
    You know what? I totally get why people are not "getting" the PVE in this game - it's not for everyone. Although high level zones are quite badass.

But PVP - it's amazing, especially structured PVP. There is no bullshit gear, just you, your team8s and skill. If you ever played anything competitive - you should be in love.

You didn't answer my question azthal , just pat yourself back.

Sitting in a castle with siege weapons having a ranged zerg battle was fun the 1st hour of beta.
    It humors me how people say "tatics" everytime they defend games, but in the end it's just a zerg battle, or arse load of arrow carts.

So what's the goal of end game? Fight to control zones so the pvers can get 1% bonus to gathering lumber?
    Chase win/loss in spvp?

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 09:15 AM ----------

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Last edited by Orcatron; 2012-09-03 at 04:14 PM.

Deleted
    There isn't an 'end-game'

Used to be we played a game cause it was fun. Not because we want a shiny reward chest at the end.

You play WvWvW because it's fun. If you're not having fun, don't play the game. It might seem like a cop-out answer but not everything can be fixed, it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatron View Post
    So what's the goal of end game?
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

So my COD comparison seems to fit. que up for matches and got for it. That's cool I get it. I'll devote my time to sPVP I think.

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    Awesome, I actually tried for the names Thusla Doom and Rexor. Both gone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    There isn't an 'end-game'

Used to be we played a game cause it was fun. Not because we want a shiny reward chest at the end.
    End-game =/= "shiny loot".

It's what the intended max level content is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post

What IS endgame? What's there to do once I reach 80 and have 100% world explore?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted

The loot is the carrot in that idea, it don't work with only the stick.

i got 80 3 days ago and I'm loving every minute of it.

WvW is tons of fun if you do it with a few mates and make a quick and quiet gank squad and just grab nodes all over the map and gank stragglers and sPvP is awesome solo and with friends.

If you're burning out at 24....this might not be the game for you, plain and simple.
    Last edited by Tricki; 2012-09-03 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    My team of 15 can defend mostly anything for hours on end against your big zerg. If you are just running around in a group with no tactics, I understand why you are not enjoying WvW.

Apart from that you also have Structured PvP, which is a whole other beast.
    Wow, you are so good at the game. Friggin pro.

Deleted

Shiny loot is cool and all but if you need it to play the game then that's quite sad.

'Carrot and stick' is work, for me. Why should I go to work? Oh right, I get paid. Stick, carrot.

Shouldn't be 'Why should I play a game? Oh right, shiny loot,' it should simply be 'Why do I play a game? Oh right, it's fun.'

Sure if working for shinies is fun to you, by all means do that, but demanding it in a game that doesn't have it so prominently is a silly thing.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you play mario for the phat loot?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Did you play mario for the phat loot?
    ^ This. 10000x this. Its a game, you play it because you enjoy it. What is the end game? More WvW, more sPvP, more dungeons. Used to be games were between the first login till you reached the end. WoW and its clones made that just a chore to get through ASAP so you can reach the actual game. GW goes back to the original formula: you play the game because you enjoy the game, and it starts at level 1, not at level 80.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played my first bit of WvWvW this morning. At first I was very sceptical about it, having tried massive battles before in other games where it was a lagfest beyond belief. At least here the software works, and I could actually see my enemies and not just nametags, I could see the walls and buildings and npc's, everything, no problem. I died horrendously ALOT lol, mostly because I play a guardian and want to get into the thick of things with a greatsword and chop things to pieces... njaaaah not gonna happen. So I switched tactics, went scepter/shield and started hammering the opposing team with smite and whatnot, sometimes pulling out my elite skill tome of wrath to put the extra hurt down (they felt it), all the while trying to stay away from them as much as possible, we were trying to recapture a point (can't remember the name), and someone got a ballista up. Instead of being near the gate and spamming protective and offensive spells as much as I could on it, I now diverted to protecting the ballista, always on the look out for the pesky enemy who would try to sneak up on it from behind.

In the end the ballista survived, we recaptured, and Anet uploaded a new build, so I got booted lol :P What I am trying to say is: It will be as zergy/grindy/boring as YOU want to make it, if all you do is zerg the enemy, then yes it will be zergy, try doing something different that is helpful to the team, like, sneak past their lines and start hammering their walls with a smaller group? Maybe you all have supplies enough to build a battering ram/catapult/ballista? Then you might take the point, again the enemy might push past the rest of the defenders and take the point while you try to take theirs... WvWvW is a huge battlefield, it will be as awesome as you make it, or as shit and boring as you make it. Just like old AV could be awesome, and extremely shit, depending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you want a suggestion? Leave wvw. Play wvw just as a variation, you're losing the huge amount of content and eventually what is fun of gw2. And well when you reach level 80, you can still work hard for your legendary. And 100% map completition. All jumping areas, all poi, huge group battles better than a endgame raid boss of wow ( with a number of partecipants variable, can be even 50+, more players, more long is the battle). Stay far from that childish zergfest called wvw

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this question should be more related to any mmo in general
    guild wars is just admiting thier items are cosmetic when other force you to grind it when they flatline stats
    end of the day just the nature of the beast there dude
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    What IS endgame? What's there to do once I reach 80 and have 100% world explore?
    If that's all you enjoyed doing, wait until next expac. No harm done in that.

You might as well be asking "What's there to do once I've got all the Heroic-quality gear from the current raid?" when talking about WoW.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-03 at 05:37 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.