Well thats a bit unnerving

So i checked my email today and apparantly there were two attempts to log into my account from jiaxang china. Would you all say something like spybot ot adaware would catch whatever is trying to access things. Or do i need to splurge for a good antivirus antiwhatever software?

Software on your computer will not prevent, or even catch, attempts on an email site that is not hosted on your computer. That being said, Malwarebytes is a good spyware program and will help your personal computer security. Another thing is to use a long password (not necessarily complicated to the point of not being able to remember it) and change it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Braonie View Post
    So i checked my email today and apparantly there were two attempts to log into my account from jiaxang china. Would you all say something like spybot ot adaware would catch whatever is trying to access things. Or do i need to splurge for a good antivirus antiwhatever software?
    A decent free one should get it if it's a keylogger (which it probably isn't), but if you're paranoid I'd say buy one. Other's might help you with more info. After, or using a different (safe) computer, change your password to something unique or one you've never used that you can remember ~
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-09-03 at 06:05 PM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Well at least they were only attempts - so they have your email address - not hard - but they dont have your password

Yeah im in the process of changing my password. I will look into that software you mentioned. I was just shocked to see it. In my near a decade of online gaming i have been careful and never been hacked. *knock on wood*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Braonie View Post
    You should at least change your e-mail and see what happens, let alone your password.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2 seems to be doing this with a lot of people, I don't get why this is the first MMO to have this kind of thing on such a scale so short on release.

well, what helps is to use the On-Screen Keyboard from windows 7 and just click on the on screen keyboard your password, it can't be keylogged afaik.

Do more than just change your password - change your email associated with your account to something that you will ONLY use for this game.

More often than not fan sites are where your information gets jacked from. Then they just pepper you with fake crap until something sticks. Change your log in and you'll be fine.

I remember when my gf got my WoW account hacked by logging into it from her disgustingly infected computer that her mom facebooks on. They had my email address and all of a sudden I was getting account warning for games I didn't even play like Runescape and such. Prompted me to change the email to something I'd only use for WoW. Haven't gotten a single spam email to that account and this is over 2 years and going.

At least it wasn't from Gangnam.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-09-03 at 06:17 PM.

Well i changed my email to one i rarely use. The one before was one i have used since early college. I also changed my password to a really complicated one i remember easily. Hopefully that should work. I do like that keyboard idea i may look into that too.