Switching to Prot for the First Time

So I've been playing holy for as long as there's been a holy. End of cata I tried out ret on a lark and enjoyed it well enough.

I'm thinking of switching from holy/ret to holy/Prot and giving it a shot for the first time.

What's the best way to do this going into MoP?

Should I spec prot right off the bat and just use my healing and/or dps gear until quests get me some Prot gear, or should I wait until I have the gear before switching?

I don't much feel like putting together a whole mess of 85 Prot gear when it's just gonna be replaced in a couple of weeks anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    With quests giving gear appropriate to your spec, it's probably better to start right off in prot. However, that also means you won't be seeing any holy gear rewards from quests.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a vendor at one of the new start areas (don't know where though, someone else will have to correct me) that sells 372 green gears to jumpstart your questing, so take a look there if they also sell prot gear. You can buy prot gear, quest in prot and receive prot upgrades from quests. Again, you won't have any holy upgrades.

So if I quest in Prot the only way to get Holy gear is through dungeon drops?

I hope I don't get rusty...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCole42 View Post
    So if I quest in Prot the only way to get Holy gear is through dungeon drops?
    Or AH. Or the 372 green vendor for the first couple of levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    With quests giving gear appropriate to your spec, it's probably better to start right off in prot. However, that also means you won't be seeing any holy gear rewards from quests.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a vendor at one of the new start areas (don't know where though, someone else will have to correct me) that sells 372 green gears to jumpstart your questing, so take a look there if they also sell prot gear. You can buy prot gear, quest in prot and receive prot upgrades from quests. Again, you won't have any holy upgrades.
    Isn't that vendor just for the Beta so you can try every spec you want?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Isn't that vendor just for the Beta so you can try every spec you want?
    Mm, I hope not. I dug this post up from March:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253971218

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    For the players that level as X spec but want to also collect gear as Y spec, we have a few solutions:

-- Several of the zones have vendors with decent gear that isn't quite at the quest item level. These help provide coverage if you miss a reward, say gloves or shoulders, since questing is less linear now. However, these vendors also help you gather off-spec gear.
    It's not mentioned that it's just for testing purposes, so maybe it's for when Mists goes live too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    Mm, I hope not. I dug this post up from March:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253971218

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    For the players that level as X spec but want to also collect gear as Y spec, we have a few solutions:

-- Several of the zones have vendors with decent gear that isn't quite at the quest item level. These help provide coverage if you miss a reward, say gloves or shoulders, since questing is less linear now. However, these vendors also help you gather off-spec gear.
    It's not mentioned that it's just for testing purposes, so maybe it's for when Mists goes live too?
    I've seen it mentioned as implemented as being there to help players catch up with their alternate specs, and not as just for testing purposes as well, or mention of it's removal.

Perhaps in the end help those "god sent" tanks from needing everything under the sun in dungeons. I really hope it stays.

Go right into it as Prot. It'll be easy and good enough as prot and you'll have your direction and gear set for you!
    Last edited by Krekko; 2012-09-03 at 11:09 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    Go in as prot, read my guide which is sticked on this class forum and you're away Enjoy it!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.