Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Fixing the AH (Related to gold: guide for making gold)

okay so is this an guide

say you're me and you have, oh i don't know, 1029 soft wood logs.

say the TP comes up for, oh i don't know, 2 hours and in that time you find out this:

> check price of item (make sure item is something you have 750+ of to gain dominance within market)
    > is price reasonable? (1-5 copper for 1 soft log is reasonable)
    > time to bump that baby up!

> log alt
    > go to AH (pray it works)
    > set order of item for 5000
    > DO NOT BUY THIS ORDER JUST SET AS AN ORDER
    > list price of order at w/e you want (make sure it's reasonable so people buy the item...) (example, i set 1 soft wood log at 1s each)
    > log main w/ items
    > list soft wood logs at 1s
    > new lowest price becomes 1s because your alt has ordered 5k of them and that takes precedence over smaller orders

THUS you are now selling your bulk item at a hugely inflated price. example:

i sold 1029 soft wood logs at 1s each
    = 1029s
    = 10g 29s

here you are guys.

this is how you fix the AH to benefit you - and you alone.

this is not an exploit, i'm merely using what the interface allows me to.

-----

if you want to go about it inversely because you want to buy a dye (for example)

> log alt
    > set order of dye at 5k
    > set order of price to 5c~ (1c = people wont sell, 5c = people will because they think its reasonable (mostly cuz they're dumb + game is new))
    > wait on main for a dye to enter AH at 5c
    > why will it hit at 5c? cuz that what the AH shows is the dominating price.
    Last edited by mmoca7d90cf5ae; 2012-09-03 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    tell that to the karma bans

Knowing Anet you should prepare for the worst m8.

Yes, you are exploiting an issue that prevents people from looking at the actual price of the goodies, at the very least you should be forced to buy the 5k logs for that not to be an exploit. If they can track you down it will probably mean a ban, IMO.

So I'll quote the important part below, followed by the full statement from Arena Net for any other knuckle heads out there.

Please remember, opportunity does not equal permission.
    I'll move your post to Reddit so that the GW2 staff can have a look and come up with a fix for this flaw.

Hello,
    In the coming hours, we will be restoring account access to those who were suspended for exploiting the bugged vendor prices for the Norn Cultural weapons. Not everyone will have access restored right away. In some cases we are awaiting more information from the player, and some appeals are still coming in. We will address each appeal as quickly as we can.

We’d like to remind everyone that we do not seek to punish, and any time a drastic measure like this is taken, it is taken to maintain the health and integrity of the game. As we reinstate these accounts, we expect everyone who appealed to honor their commitment to destroy all illegitimate gains, whether those are crafting items, currencies, or the weapons themselves. To remove currencies, making a purchase of appropriate value and destroying that purchase will suffice.

We would also like to acknowledge that we are not free from blame. In a game this big, problems inevitably occur that are difficult to locate , and moving forward we will continue to address these issues in a timely, communicative and efficient manner. What constitutes an exploit, and what has resulted in these suspensions, is using a flaw in the game to gain an unfair advantage over other players that is clearly not in line with the design of the game. Please remember, opportunity does not equal permission.

We also understand that sometimes the consequences of such an exploit may not be clear or apparent. In these cases, try to think about how the actions of one player can affect the millions of other players, or the in-game economy as a whole. In your appeals, many of you stated that you only purchased large quantities of weapons to use for personal gain and not for profit. Such an act devalues the time and effort put forth by every other player who opts not to take advantage of an exploit. We will be publishing a FAQ on exploits soon.

On the subject of your appeals, most of you expressed understanding for the decisions that we made. For that, we are deeply appreciative. Going forward, we will strive to maintain only the highest of standards for the game and the community, and we ask that you do the same.

As one player noted in his appeal, we have the opportunity to work together to forge a legendary MMO experience and that is not something we take for granted. If you encounter any other bugs or anything suspicious in game, please feel free to report it by typing "/bug" in-game, or by sending an e-mail to.
    All of that said, on behalf of ArenaNet and NCsoft, we’d like to extend a sincere welcome back to Tyria. Let's all have some fun.
    Regards, The Guild Wars Support Team
    Last edited by maddbomber83; 2012-09-03 at 08:23 PM.

Deleted
    why? D<

its how its supposed to be

like in wow you can list 100000000000 volatile X separately, which stops anyone else putting on stacks of 200

if you dominate the AH, you win - that's how AHs work.

I don't want to spoil the ban happy peoples joy, but this is actually legit, it is simply playing the market, if people are stupid enough to sell stuff cheap and buy high.... it aint this guys fault. People are lazy to check any further, thus this guy makes a mint.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Well if all goes well Cranberries, then imma thank you for this great tip. Hope it's all legit though i won't use this until i'm 100% it's safe.

First off, they made the AH global so as to limit people trying to dominate it.
    Second, I'm not sure of your method. If you set a buy order of 5000 at 1s, it takes your money and tries to fill it. In which case you just bought that much wood.
    This would just be a blip in the fast moving ah, and the market makers would take the profit.

Or are you bugging it to make it think have an order of 5k when really you just set an order of 1? That would be clearly exploitation.

It's probably for stuff like this that the TP has been down all day for me, again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already saw this happening and it will work till people are smart enough to realise that's whats going on, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    I don't want to spoil the ban happy peoples joy, but this is actually legit, it is simply playing the market, if people are stupid enough to sell stuff cheap and buy high.... it aint this guys fault. People are lazy to check any further, thus this guy makes a mint.
    No, what he is saying is completely different, to my understanding, he is able to hide everyone else's sell orders without actually paying for them, which would indeed be an exploit since the system was not made for that. I can't confirm that is possible (would do it in very small amounts to check it out) because the TP is still down.
    Last edited by parcus; 2012-09-03 at 11:18 PM.

this is how you fix the AH to benefit you - and you alone.

That's the excuse that every exploiter has used. The game lets me do it so it must be ok! No, like that guy posted above opportunity does not equal permission. Your inflating prices, not by buying out the competition like you are supposed to, but by hiding their auctions. How is that fair to them in any way? Everyone who listed lower then you is getting shit on until all your stuff sells, or someone does the same to you. You honestly think that is perfectly ok? You are also using it to trick people into selling stuff for cheap. What else do they have to use but the AH to price stuff at this point? The game just came out.

It's like if I owned a grocery store. Then in order to get more business, one night I go around town and blow up or somehow cloak every other grocery store in town . That is in essence what your doing to the AH right now so you can charge whatever you want for however much you want.

why? D<

its how its supposed to be

like in wow you can list 100000000000 volatile X separately, which stops anyone else putting on stacks of 200

if you dominate the AH, you win - that's how AHs work.
    Yes but that's not at all what your doing here. That is fine. Your not dominating the AH, your breaking it and using it in ways it was never intended to be used to make a profit. Answer this question if your not exploiting. If Arenanet intended this, why do you need two different characters to do it? You would be able to do it on a single character if it was intended instead of having to do some shady place an order with my alt but don't buy it method. There is nothing else in the game that requires a person playing two different characters on one account within a few seconds of eachother. That should tell you something.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-09-04 at 12:54 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    No, what he is saying is completely different, to my understanding, he is able to hide everyone else's sell orders without actually paying for them, which would indeed be an exploit since the system was not made for that. I can't confirm that is possible (would do it in very small amounts to check it out) because the TP is still down.
    Well then you are right, if he can hide it without paying then yeah - that is exploit, I was thinking that he will actually put out the money for 5k item orders (since thats how system works, TP will take your money if you place an order)
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Deleted
    it should do but it doesnt

(probably because it has more ups and downs than sienna miller but i digress)

i dont think its an issue though

this sound like an exploit to me. Better watch out with this stuff, arenaNet doesn't like it when you're abusing their mistakes and if you get busted it will most likely result in a ban.

I guess account shared Trade Post will be a thing soon...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh the bittersweet irony that buying in bulk proves to be more expensive in an online game.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

If he is buying everyone's wood and then selling it at a higher price, that is a market and I'm all for it.

If he is hiding everyone's orders and using a broken mechanic to inflate a price without buying all the cheap wood, then its an exploit.

Deleted
    try do that with copper :P i only saw 518k (yes.. 518000) ores listed.. if you can pull that off, you are brilliant lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope that AH fixing is considered to be "exploiting" by ANet. I realize that there are perfectly legitimate ways to do so, but it's my opinion that the negative impact on the community through the artificial inflation of prices is as damaging as any glitch exploit, if not worse.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I really hope that AH fixing is considered to be "exploiting" by ANet. I realize that there are perfectly legitimate ways to do so, but it's my opinion that the negative impact on the community through the artificial inflation of prices is as damaging as any glitch exploit, if not worse.
    Just team up with someone and make all agreements offline.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath