Processor or Graphics Card

I'm looking for an upgrade for my PC, i pretty much just play wow and I have heard it's demanding on your CPU. So I'm wondering, what would be the bigger upgrade. CPU or Graphics Card.

Currently i have:
    Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz (overclocked to 3.0 without a problem)
    GTX 260
    nForce 750i SLI
    4GB ram

Just wondering what would be better for dropping $200-$300 on. thanks

I'm not sure how well games are taking advantage of quad core PCs these days. I'd say probably not well yet...

I'd say upgrade it to an i3 or i5.

Heres the catch, you need to make sure your motherboard supports it.

Another thing I'd look into is memory. shoot for atleast 6 gigs. 8 is great.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-09-03 at 11:43 PM.

They are both pretty equal. You won't see big gains unless you upgrade both.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

I have the same CPU. I upgrade my GPU over summer and was able to get 80+fps on highish settings. But the second you I hit a city or raid I dropped to 17-20fps. The game still looked good but lagged all to hell.

I'd upgrade both to a decent CPU and GPU. You really need the CPU for cities/raids. GPU will help out a lot too though.

I would argue for upgrading the CPU (if compatible with your motherboard), since WoW is more CPU intensive and upgrading your CPU makes your computer faster for everyday tasks.
    Last edited by plazsma; 2012-09-04 at 12:06 AM.

You should go GPU first and wait for the 4th gen i5/i7 CPUs. The 4th gen Intel CPUs should release Q2 2013 (probably March).

Thanks for the replies. Seems like the CPU is the better option. maybe look into a new motherboard as well.

Thanks again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maoli View Post
    I have the same CPU. I upgrade my GPU over summer and was able to get 80+fps on highish settings. But the second you I hit a city or raid I dropped to 17-20fps. The game still looked good but lagged all to hell.

I'd upgrade both to a decent CPU and GPU. You really need the CPU for cities/raids. GPU will help out a lot too though.
    Did you overclock it to 3.0 GHz like OP?

Quote Originally Posted by shotsnonstop View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Seems like the CPU is the better option. maybe look into a new motherboard as well.

Thanks again
    I'm also running on a C2Q (9550 @ 3.6 GHz) and I get minimum 43 fps in cities. Upgraded my graphics card from 9600 GT to 560 Ti and so great improvements. I'd change the video card and wait for Haswell.