Have DK's rotations/playstyle changed?

Hi guys, I used to play DK but I got kind of sick of the "rune tetris" game in micromanaging the runes. It just seemed a bit random to me (runestrike to "game" runes, etc). I did okay with it, but it never really struck me as naturally as other classes.

Has MOP (radically) changed the DK playstyle, or is it mostly the same? I'm asking mostly regarding blood DKs and frost DKs. Any comments as to their difficulty? (I know it'll be subjective, but whatever :P)

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    The system is essentially the same but now you have the choice between three different rune regeneration talents. Blood tap allows you to gain charges and then use the charges to convert a depleted rune into a death rune, runic corruption has a chance to speed up rune regeneration after using a runic power dump ability and runic empowerment has a chance to renew a fully depleted rune after using a runic power dump ability. As dual wield frost you do game runes to avoid refreshing an unholy rune now but I don't know much about blood death knights or how they're currently played.

Deleted
    Changed radically, no. Changed, yes.

Tanking is pretty much the same, Dw frost plays just like the old master frost played(except you are in frost pres instead of unholy). I haven't played 2h but I imagine its not much different.
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

for frost dks the freezy fog buff we dont get runic power from casting free howling blast even though we did the last patch

10+ Year Old Account
    Not much from what I've played. Blood is pretty fun and the self healing is fantastic. I was out healing two of the healers I had in a 10m Firelands run today. Using Bloodboil to keep diseases up is nice since we no longer have the reduced Outbreak CD.

Can't comment on unholy or frost yet, but neither seem too different from what I've looked at.
    Last edited by Axethor; 2012-09-04 at 04:26 AM.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Tanking-Guide

It hasn't changed much, but it has added changes to how you approach Blood Boil. Just basically use BB on CS procs and you're fine. As far as gaming goes, you won't need to unless you are using RE, and if you are you will generally be gaming for B runes for max dps as if you needed to survivability you would prefer Blood Tap, which doesn't require gaming. (technically you want BT procs to hit B runes for max survivability, so if you call having both B runes down gaming then i guess it does)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Tanking is about the same, but I have found I need to spend more blood runes for threat than before thanks to the modifier being removed from D&D. DW frost plays like masterfrost and 2H frost is identical. Not sure about unholy

Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    Tanking is pretty much the same, Dw frost plays just like the old master frost played(except you are in frost pres instead of unholy). I haven't played 2h but I imagine its not much different.
    Haven't played masterfrost before - what's the key difference in style?

And would you guys say it's complicated or simple? I vaguely recall some threads once stating Frost DK being one of the easiest classes to PVP with.

Frost is mostly unchanged except Rime no longer gives Runic Power. but Unholy got an awesome ranged ability Death Siphon. no more standing around waiting for something in melee range

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iphon-my-Facts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neave View Post
    Frost is mostly unchanged except Rime no longer gives Runic Power. but Unholy got an awesome ranged ability Death Siphon. no more standing around waiting for something in melee range

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iphon-my-Facts
    Only it's a survivability talent that does Shadowfrost damage, so technically frost benefits just as much. It isn't part of any rotation though. Just a niche or "Oh shit I'm dying" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Only it's a survivability talent that does Shadowfrost damage, so technically frost benefits just as much. It isn't part of any rotation though. Just a niche or "Oh shit I'm dying" thing.
    I thought Unholy mastery was more efficient than Frost?