Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ah, gotta love scientists sometimes!

"Dr. Newmann, are you trying to tell me the US government has given our team a 3 billion research fund to find out if putting lipstick on a male monkey for 3 years will cause him to develop homosexual tendencies? Wooyee!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    It's funny because the people who look at these sorts of things and say "These scientists are idiots", are generally quite unintelligent themselves. If you knew anything about theoretical physics, you would be aware that the majority of things about the Universe and how it works are generally counter-intuitive to our understanding. (Ex: It is hypothesized that the Universe is actually 2-dimensional and we just percieve it in 3-dimensions or it is projected onto a 3-dimensional plane of sorts).
    This has nothing to do with physics of any sort. And yes, i know a lot of quantum mechanics, i know how little classical sense it makes, but that doesn't mean people are allowed to spew useless shit that has no basis in anything. Quantum mechanics is at least based on math and is actually true. This is just pointless mumbo-jumbo based on absolutely no evidence, just on that scientist's fantasy. And that's why he's an idiot. Imagining nice things in his head and then letting people call it a scientific hypothesis/theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me that scientists who "devote" themself to these topics got their PhD in BS.

The answer is "yes". Human emotions cause people to make unwise and irrational decisions, and our decisions do affect the planet.

But not in the way this researcher wants to test.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapefruitsnz View Post
    Hopefully the link works. A scientist is researching whether human emotion could influence the Earth.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Can-human-emo...8/Default.aspx

"Scientist". Don't pollute the name scientists with people like that. This is a massive bunch of mumbojumbo not even remotely scientific.

Well...there are certainly a lot of people, all with their little electromagnetic charges in their bodies. I could see enough people in one area, like a city, affecting each other without anyone being able to detect it. It could be the source of the herd/crowd mentality that makes rioters and the like so freaking nuts. Orrrr that's just people being douchebags when they feel there's enough other people to cover their ass so they as an individual wont get singled out and punished for being a douchebag. Who knows!

Deleted
    Yeah they could.

When somebody cries he/she releases tears which drop on the earth, which vaporize eventually and then become a rain drop.

It did affect the Earth in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    This sounds like the question "If everybody on Earth jumped at the same time, would it affect our orbit?"
    No: http://what-if.xkcd.com/8/

Yes, when everyone gets angry enough, the planet with explode because we would have launched missile after missile.

Did people forget to read the article? The theory is pretty simple.

1. Human beings create a magnetic field.
    2. The emotional state of a human affects their magnetic field.
    3. Many humans in the same emotional state might create sympathetic resonances in a shared magnetic field.
    4. On a large enough scale, this could affect the global magnetic field.

I don't see how any of that flies in the face of science, or why people are so hostile to the idea of it being studied. Science is supposed to be interested in everything it can measure not restricted to people's preconceptions of what should be studied.

Cute theory but ill be interested to see his research and results not just speculation

The Earth is a giant fucking rock hurtling through space around a giant ball of fire.

It's not any more capable of emotion than an asteroid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post

3. Many humans in the same emotional state might create sympathetic resonances in a shared magnetic field.

I don't see how any of that flies in the face of science, or why people are so hostile to the idea of it being studied. Science is supposed to be interested in everything it can measure not restricted to people's preconceptions of what should be studied.
    Yes, we have a "magnetic field", but do you notice how it doesn't effect anything? That is because we are too small and insignificant to do anything.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Perhaps it could, if you applied a lot of imagination to chaos theory.
    "I'm simply saying that life, uh, finds a way" lol. OT: Sure human emotion could affect the earth, someone gets pissy and launches a nuke, but seriously sounds far fetched.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The Earth is a giant fucking rock hurtling through space around a giant ball of fire.

It's not any more capable of emotion than an asteroid.
    How is that relevant to the article, which is attempting to measure the effects of human emotions?

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 03:05 AM ----------

Yes, we have a "magnetic field", but do you notice how it doesn't effect anything? That is because we are too small and insignificant to do anything.
    I haven't noticed because I haven't had the correct equipment set up to observe. Neither has anyone else for that matter which is why the experiment is being done.

We're not saying that he can't study or test it. But we're basically being asked what we think of it before the experiments have been carried out. And on the face of it, the claims are ludicrous.

Not only is the electromagnetic field generated by humans extremely weak, but even if we all have the same emotional state that in no way causes our magnetic fields to combine to generate force in the same direction and to have any effect that would accumulate as opposed to canceling each other out as random noise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't noticed because I haven't had the correct equipment set up to observe. Neither has anyone else for that matter which is why the experiment is being done.
    Then small scale test it. Get a whole bunch of fat Americans in a room. A small one. Make them watch a video promoting:

Skinny people (make sure they know they will never get cute skinny girls)
    Gun control (they need to know they can't hunt anymore)
    Communism (AMURICA)
    Genocide (Killing people is bad, k?)

Use whatever equipment you find appropriate. Guess what happens in the room.

Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    We're not saying that he can't study or test it. But we're basically being asked what we think of it before the experiments have been carried out. And on the face of it, the claims are ludicrous.
    Several other posters have ridiculed the man for proposing the idea.

Not only is the electromagnetic field generated by humans extremely weak, but even if we all have the same emotional state that in no way causes our magnetic fields to combine to generate force in the same direction and to have any effect that would accumulate as opposed to canceling each other out as random noise.
    If studies have already been done, could you link them to me?

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 03:10 AM ----------

Then small scale test it. Get a whole bunch of fat Americans in a room. A small one. Make them watch a video promoting:

Skinny people (make sure they know they will never get cute skinny girls)
    Gun control (they need to know they can't hunt anymore)
    Communism (AMURICA)
    Genocide (Killing people is bad, k?)

Use whatever equipment you find appropriate. Guess what happens in the room.

Nothing.
    Ah yes, and I suppose to study the ocean I should just look at a glass of water?

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they do. Example A. I get mad, I get drunk, I piss on the tree in the backyard, the tree grows a little more, breaks up more dirt beneath, creates more oxygen. All cause I got mad.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, and I suppose to study the ocean I should just look at a glass of water?
    They study Tsunamis with small tanks and pools, or events such as ship sinkings and such.