Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What makes Halo so much better than other FPS?

Discuss and leave opinions. It seems people like putting Halo on a distinct chair compared to most FPS, but I dont get why. It's so revered to the point people label it as the Star Wars of gaming.

I love the Halo series, the story is very intricate and compelling in my opinion, and the weapons are all different, especially in the newer games. I mean things like noticeable differences in power and rate of fire, as well as aesthetically. There's all kinds of customization in games, such as shield strength, altered gravity, being able to actually create your own maps, and some just plain fun game types(I really like Infection in Reach). Overall, it's just a very enthralling game, compared to something like Call of Duty.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

To me its very balanced across the board, there arent as many cheap ways of getting kills as other games. It isnt what id call a "Wheres Waldo?" type FPS where all that matters is finding the person 1st and they die in 1 bullet, up close fights can get intense and can potentially last a while.

The story is far more interesting than Call of Doody and Blandfield games. That's the main reason I like it over those types of games, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    To me its very balanced across the board, there arent as many cheap ways of getting kills as other games. It isnt what id call a "Wheres Waldo?" type FPS where all that matters is finding the person 1st and they die in 1 bullet, up close fights can get intense and can potentially last a while.
    This. Try running around firing wildly and see how fast you're taken out while getting absolutely nowhere yourself. You actually have to have a level of skill, lucky one-shot kills are pretty rare. Funny as hell watching CoD players try Halo.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.

Story and characters.
    <3 Cortana

This thread's making me want to play Halo again, it's been too long

10+ Year Old Account
    Story, characters.
    Halo 1 was iconic, original and amazingly designed.

Halo 4 is just developing into Future CoD with loadouts, but the first trilogy was amazing.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I don't play many FPS games, but the armour system, the weapons, and the story all add a great deal.

I never thought of Halo as being so far out in front of other fps. Its not bad by any means but Ive never heard it really talked about as "the" fps of fps. Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Counter Strike, and the hundred or so others all have strengths and weaknesses. Halos weakness? Consoles, imo of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Story, characters.

Halo 4 is just developing into Future CoD with loadouts, but the first trilogy was amazing.
    Pretty much. I will not be purchasing HALO 4; Master Chief John's story ended with HALO 3, so sayeth my head-canon, so shall it be!

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno it just feels like an average fps to me. Not good, not bad. The fan base is awful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Story, characters.

Bungie stated Halo 3s ending was meant to close the series based off imagination, the aspect that makes Halo special. However due to the innumerable, massive plotholes the Flood and Forerunners still brought on, people thought it wasn't enough.

Now we have Halo 4, not made by Bungie. Will it fail or succeed? One can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    I dunno it just feels like an average fps to me. Not good, not bad. The fan base is awful though.
    Nowhere near as bad as the MW fanbase. My lord, faith in humanity is lost when I play MW and have sqweakers mouthing off, using any foul language they can because they cannot articulate their feelings into meaningful or contructive criticisms of their own or other's preformance.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

The assumption in "What makes Halo better..." is that Halo -is- better. It isn't.

I just want to know what the deal with the Arbiter is. I've seen a few interviews in which Bungie/343 have said that there's some big secret about him the's being kept all hush-hush until it's actually revealed in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Discuss and leave opinions. It seems people like putting Halo on a distinct chair compared to most FPS, but I dont get why. It's so revered to the point people label it as the Star Wars of gaming.
    Halo did for FPS what Doom and Quake did for them back in the early 90's. Halo revolutionized the genre by mixing a very in depth story, with a foreign but familiar setting, and interesting, creative, fun mechanics. It's a game I'd actually be willing to buy an Xbox solely for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Halo did for FPS what Doom and Quake did for them back in the early 90's. Halo revolutionized the genre by mixing a very in depth story, with a foreign but familiar setting, and interesting, creative, fun mechanics. It's a game I'd actually be willing to buy an Xbox solely for.

I think its why 90% of people actually bought the original xbox for.

Halo was one of the first FPS series (on consoles) to have online multiplayer (Halo 2 back in '04). I think it was the very first, but I'm not sure when Rainbow Six integrated it. Halo is actually what convinced Microsoft that an online component could be a huge success (on consoles, that is), and a couple years later out came Xbox Live. Halo also started as a game that nobody (and I mean nobody) thought would make it. To the industry critics, Halo was just another Space Marines vs. Aliens game that was trying to steal the Aliens series' thunder. Lo and behold, 11 years later it's made over 2.8 billion dollars as a series.

Other than that, it's the story that dragged me into Halo. It's very deep and complex, the characters actually seem like real people (even Cortana, and she's a freakin' computer!) and it's one that makes you want to read the books to get a better idea of the backstory. It's also the fact that there's always something new in each game, be it weapons, vehicles, or even new Forge stuff (which is a big thing after Halo 3, if you watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwEnW...eature=related from 2:00 on, listen to the crowd reactions to all of the new Forge features)

I've also met better people while playing Halo. I enjoy playing with random people in Halo much more than in, say, CoD. The game doesn't really inspire the "hardcore 360 noscope wanna-be MLG Pro" attitude that seems to have become common in CoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Bungie stated Halo 3s ending was meant to close the series based off imagination, the aspect that makes Halo special. However due to the innumerable, massive plotholes the Flood and Forerunners still brought on, people thought it wasn't enough.

Now we have Halo 4, not made by Bungie. Will it fail or succeed? One can hope.
    Don't forget that one cutscene in Halo 3, Bungie loved their agonizing cliffhangers so much that they just had to include one in 3.

And from what I've seen of the story, it's shaping up to be one hell of a game.
    Last edited by Barana; 2012-09-04 at 08:17 AM.

This is coming from a competitive halo player since the original release (over a decade) and it is important to remember that. There is absolutely nothing amazing and or astounding about it from a competitive gaming standpoint and it has only degraded since the original. It was just an arena shooter adapted for console. Try to imagine something such as Quake slowed down with a new developer's flair and that is basically how the first Halo went down. The storyline/lore/campaign on the other hand is quite good in my opinion and is the reason for its critical acclaim along with revolutionizing the CONSOLE FPS genre at the time while Halo 2 revolutionized the ONLINE console FPS genre. These days though its losing its roots as the arena shooter and is just trying to grab people with gimmicky stuff and the story. Basically it is just riding off of its own name as it is no longer the king of console FPS for casual or competitive and hasn't been (numerically) for some time. It lost its title to Call of Duty and IMO is no longer the innovator and is now the follower as seen with the inclusion of quite a few elements from CoD and systematic destruction of everything that separated it from CoD