Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Stood in the Fire Korbany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    462
    The more important question is not so much how many active players GW2 has at launch, but rather how many of them don't go back to playing other mmorpg's.

    I'm only guessing but I think MoP may offset the number of wow players that have permanently left for GW2, leaving wows player base more or less stable, and I think the likes of Rift, Swtor, Lotro and Terra may see a sizable drop in their player bases.

    Still, until official figures are released it's all guess work

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by KtN View Post
    I am playing Guild Wars 2. So it's whatever they sold + me. There's your start.
    Actually you are wrong here you are included in what they sold so you cannot add youself a second time, Even if you would have bought 2 copies.....they still sold you both of those :P so yeah Your calculations are bad :P
    ENGLISH ISNT MY MAIN SPEC
    YOU NOW BREATH CONSCIOUSLY

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    Actually you are wrong here you are included in what they sold so you cannot add youself a second time, Even if you would have bought 2 copies.....they still sold you both of those :P so yeah Your calculations are bad :P
    perhaps he got it for free ;O

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbany View Post
    The more important question is not so much how many active players GW2 has at launch, but rather how many of them don't go back to playing other mmorpg's.

    I'm only guessing but I think MoP may offset the number of wow players that have permanently left for GW2, leaving wows player base more or less stable, and I think the likes of Rift, Swtor, Lotro and Terra may see a sizable drop in their player bases.

    Still, until official figures are released it's all guess work
    In view of previous launches, my guess is around 1.5 million by now.

    THE overall majority of players had it on pre order. The rest joined up a few days later. The number of servers didn't grow spectacular after the public launch ...and NCSoft said the number of pre orders was around 1 million.

    Add it all up and you would see that 1.5 million is not far off.

    So whenever they pass 2 million, they'll announce it. If they don't, the figures won't be that high.

    But NCSoft has a bad record for "leaking" so called unofficial figures (like they did with Aion and its ridiculous 4.5 million, which never was of course).

    So the last figure was 1 million pre order. The same as SWTOR btw and that ended up around 2.5 million after 3 months.

    GW2 will seal off the faith of the subscription based market btw. Except for WoW and EVE, I don't think that paid sub market still has a chance to survive.

    Blizzard is too strong with BattleNet to be influenced and EVE has an economy that far surpasses the free to play stuff. The rest is doomed to free lame cash shops to survive...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-09-04 at 12:34 PM.

  5. #25
    All I know is I intended a small guild of friends, like 10 max. But apparently everyone, their friend, their friend's brother, and that friend's dog are playing so I invited them to my guild........that's like, 10 million right there.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    All I know is I intended a small guild of friends, like 10 max. But apparently everyone, their friend, their friend's brother, and that friend's dog are playing so I invited them to my guild........that's like, 10 million right there.
    hahahaha
    the guild i joined started the same way ...

    50+ people in the guild now -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    But do they have data showing how much fun players are having? Because surely that's what counts. You could have a game where only 1% of players can do the top raid but still everybody's having fun, and you could have a game where 100% of the players see everything but they're all bored and whining and quitting. Fun can't be quantified with straight-up data, and trying to use statistics to measure fun is a dangerous logical minefield.
    "The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

  7. #27
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbany View Post
    The more important question is not so much how many active players GW2 has at launch, but rather how many of them don't go back to playing other mmorpg's.
    In essence you're correct, but your wording is off.

    I'm assuming you mean "how many of them keep playing it", which is indeed the more important question. However, the design of the game (particularly the B2P model and not having to stay up to date with gear by playing at least every X days) means it matters little to nothing how many people play other MMO's.

  8. #28
    GW2 has definitely had an effect on users that have xfire installed.

    http://beta.xfire.com/games
    Last edited by ShadowCrafter; 2012-09-04 at 12:41 PM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnitbobby View Post
    Yeah because following Biowares example on launching a game is a good idea how?

    Keep in mind arenanet doesn't care about killing wow they are just focusing on making the product they have better. Word of mouth is how this game is growing and the product they released is backing it up. The launch alone was the smoothest i have ever seen a game go live. That right there says alot about how much arenanet is working on quality over sub quantity. If things keep going like this you will see GW2 having a very solid player base adding in the players they arleady had from GW1.
    You make me laugh. EVERY company in the universe has only one goal. TO MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE. Arenanet is of course no exception, and they are not focusing on making their product better, whatever that means, but on doing the biggest amount of money. The fact that they are not doing it in a stupid matter doesn't change a thing. Arenanet doesn't love YOU, they love MONEY. Wake up, right?

    As for smoothness, I don't know, is the AH up yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    In essence you're correct, but your wording is off.

    I'm assuming you mean "how many of them keep playing it", which is indeed the more important question. However, the design of the game (particularly the B2P model and not having to stay up to date with gear by playing at least every X days) means it matters little to nothing how many people play other MMO's.
    I think you're wrong. Many people, spending lots of money on that shop will make them create more content, on a faster pace. Having people only hitting the game and going their way, will make them shrink teams, fire people and do shit.
    Last edited by Mosotti; 2012-09-04 at 12:44 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    You make me laugh. EVERY company in the universe has only one goal. TO MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE. Arenanet is of course no exception, and they are not focusing on making their product better, whatever that means, but on doing the biggest amount of money. The fact that they are not doing it in a stupid matter doesn't change a thing. Arenanet doesn't love YOU, they love MONEY. Wake up, right?

    As for smoothness, I don't know, is the AH up yet?
    The difference is arenanet have to do a good job and make a great product to attact new clients where blizzard can release shit and people will still buy it. Cata and D3 says hi.

    Let's not go down this path please, don't bash other games. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-09-04 at 04:10 PM.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCrafter View Post
    GW2 has definitely had an effect on users that have xfire installed.

    http://beta.xfire.com/games
    #3 and #4 makes me weep a little inside. It hurts. Why do people play these games? Why?
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCrafter View Post
    The difference is arenanet have to do a good job and make a great product to attact new clients where blizzard can release shit and people will still buy it. Cata and D3 says hi.
    I see what you did there. But, dear Blizzard hater, this is not about Cata or D3, it's about GW2. Hijacking threads with subjective affirmations will do nobody any good

  13. #33
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCrafter View Post
    The difference is arenanet have to do a good job and make a great product to attact new clients where blizzard can release shit and people will still buy it. Cata and D3 says hi.
    Meh, Cata was okay, bar the devolution of the lore and the lack of content. But what it had was pretty decent.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCrafter View Post
    GW2 has definitely had an effect on users that have xfire installed.

    http://beta.xfire.com/games

    Xfire is not a representative sample:

    Here is the Nielsen listing that uses a scientific representative sample of most popular games being played.

    http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...deo_games.html

    Wow was played 2 times more than LoL at that time with this scientific sample, while on Xfire the stats showed LoL had 3 times the players as WoW with Xfire back then.

    Which means Xfire attracts a very jumpy and hardcore player base, not representative for the PC market. You will see GW2 activity decrease tremendlously within a couple of weeks, but that's with all new launches after week 2.

    Xfire is of no use for new games as every new game will go under in activity after the launching 10 days, so there is no correlation between games and no correlation between Xfire users and PC gamers.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-09-04 at 12:59 PM.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Xfire is not a representative sample:

    Here is the Nielsen listing that uses a scientific representative sample of most popular games being played.

    http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...deo_games.html

    Wow was played 2 times more than LoL at that time with this scientific sample, while on Xfire the stats showed LoL had 3 times the players as WoW with Xfire back then.

    Which means Xfire attracts a very jumpy and hardcore player base, not representative for the PC market. You will see GW2 activity decrease tremendlously within a couple of weeks, but that's with all new launches after week 2.

    Xfire is of no use for new games as every new game will go under in activity after the launching 10 days, so there is no correlation between games and no correlation between Xfire users and PC gamers.
    I don't know anyone who has ever been asked what game they are playing by Nielson. Also the PC game data is from February. This is up to date info? Nielson has always been a joke.

    From their website: "Source: Nielsen Video Game Tracking asks the following question every week among gamers: “Which video game are you most looking forward to buying next?”"

    Anyone been asked?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Xfire is not a representative sample:

    Here is the Nielsen listing that uses a scientific representative sample of most popular games being played.

    http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...deo_games.html

    Wow was played 2 times more than LoL at that time with this scientific sample, while on Xfire the stats showed LoL had 3 times the players as WoW with Xfire back then.

    Which means Xfire attracts a very jumpy and hardcore player base, not representative for the PC market. You will see GW2 activity decrease tremendlously within a couple of weeks, but that's with all new launches after week 2.

    Xfire is of no use for new games as every new game will go under in activity after the launching 10 days, so there is no correlation between games and no correlation between Xfire users and PC gamers.
    That Nielsens list made me laugh there is noways wow would be ahead of LoL when it's the most popular online game by far and even now still fun to play.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by romara View Post
    I don't know anyone who has ever been asked what game they are playing by Nielson. Also the PC game data is from February. This is up to date info? Nielson has always been a joke.

    From their website: "Source: Nielsen Video Game Tracking asks the following question every week among gamers: “Which video game are you most looking forward to buying next?”"

    Anyone been asked?
    The difference is that the Nielsen buro uses a scientific sample with correct stratification. In this way you can have a sample as low as 1000 respondants to measure a 6 million public.

    The sample is based with the correct % of representation and social stratification.

    The errors you get in such scientific and CHANGING samples are around 2.5 %.

    THE Same technique is used in all scientific polls that predict elections by asking 1000 people who they vote for with an expected error of 2.5 %.

    XFIRE is a self declared fixed group with no changing and no representative sample.

    For example: you can download LOL from Xfire Website and can start playing LOL with Xfire installed...

    No wonder LoL is being played the most within this fixed and non changing base.

    All very logical and it shows there is no correlation between the games and their retention rates in overall PC community on Xfire.

    In a few weeks time GW2 will drop in activity on Xfire but that says nothing about its retention rate in THE overall PC market.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-09-04 at 01:21 PM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Xfire is not a representative sample:

    Here is the Nielsen listing that uses a scientific representative sample of most popular games being played.
    nice work posting a link that is from Feb. *sigh

    bottom line is nobody knows. +1 million since that is the only number they have released so far.

  19. #39
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    978
    karmagate incident.
    Really? lol I love how people come out and try to defend cheaters. Its a cute name and good lord do people love to come up with their cute names to attempt to bash something. pretty silly if not completely humorous so I thank you for the early morning entertainment.

    That said I would believe it to be well into if not more than the 2 mil mark. Prepurchases have been confirmed to be over 1 million that didnt even include preorders nor did it include any day one sales. Considering they beefed up their server infrastructure to handle at least preorder numbers and above (assuming and you would have to believe they would give themselves some headroom) I would be surprised to see it any less than around the 2 mil mark.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-09-04 at 01:27 PM.

  20. #40
    Unless GW2 does extremely well and they feel the need to brag about it we'll probably never know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •