Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How many players does GW2 have right now?

I'm really curious to find out how many people are playing right now? Any info is welcome.
    I heard mostly rumors that there are like 1 mil on eu only. I know the numbers will grow after the digital version is unlocked again.

Is there any official info on that? If not, you can just forget it. As for 1 million EU only, I think they would have brag about it by now if that was the reality, like this "We have suspended the sale of GW2 because we already have over 1 million players in EU alone". Have they done that?

As for the game not available for online purchase, I find it funny you can get the collector's edition. So yeah, this might be a nice trick to make the impatient buy those, while sorting out the server mess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Is there any official info on that? If not, you can just forget it. As for 1 million EU only, I think they would have brag about it by now if that was the reality, like this "We have suspended the sale of GW2 because we already have over 1 million players in EU alone". Have they done that?

As for the game not available for online purchase, I find it funny you can get the collector's edition. So yeah, this might be a nice trick to make the impatient buy those, while sorting out the server mess
    You can't get the collector's online?
    Unless it's from a retail shop. They can't just ask them to stop selling them, if they sold it to them in the first place.

OT: not sure, over 1mill sales. I'd say 1.5mill-ish altogether.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    at least 4m since they said they banned 4k exploiters which was less than .001% of the population, 4000 * 1000 = 4m

probably around 4.5m
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

What I'm saying is that they gladly point you in the CE direction. Which is funny, at least for me

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    at least 4m since they said they banned 4k exploiters which was less than .001% of the population, 4000 * 1000 = 4m

probably around 4.5m

Neah, it must be 30 million. Or 130 million. Bioware, at 2 million jumped to announce the "fastest growing MMO in the history of the universe", and at over 4 million players, Arenanet says nothing? Are you saying they don't have a PR department, or are they all retarded?
    Last edited by Mosotti; 2012-09-04 at 11:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I'm saying is that they gladly point you in the CE direction. Which is funny, at least for me
    Well I don't even think more than a handful of stores worldwide will have the CE left. I know the store where I got mine only had 2, and afaik in Belgium there weren't even 100 copies total.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been leveling very slowly and there are still dozens of players everywhere I look and lots of chat that has been very friendly.

If it really is at some crazy number like 4.5 million, word of mouth hasn't even started yet so it will explode like madness if this continues.

10+ Year Old Account

Neah, it must be 30 million. Or 130 million. Bioware, at 2 million jumped to announce the "fastest growing MMO in the history of the universe", and at over 4 million players, Arenanet says nothing? Are you saying they don't have a PR department, or are they all retarded?
    feel free to disprove that 4000*1000 = 4m
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-09-04 at 11:43 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted

probably around 4.5m
    0,001% =/= 0,1% unless in USA .001% means 0,1%

4k people from 4m is 0,1%

4k from 400m is 0,001%

So by that logic there would be over 400m playing or something O_O

But then again, I'm not sure what you mean with that .001% (maybe 1.00% means 100% and therefore .001% could be 0,1%) . I might be making myself look stupid here but that is how I read your post >_>
    Last edited by mmoc1e89a99e36; 2012-09-04 at 11:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way to put is, the game is very engaging and fun to play. Their is no subscription, so the ammount of players is irrelevant but their are alot.

probably around 4.5m
    Theres so way 4.5m are currently playing, when it's so overrated.

Deleted
    To be honest OP, not sure you or I or anyone will ever know. I didn't see ArenaNet as particularly braggy, even when they got the 1 million preorders, they didn't say "we're the best, all pale in our view, nobody ever got 1 million preorders", if I remember correct they said "thank you for trusting in us". And then the people who hyped the game to extreme went to forums and said "1 million preorders! And imagine how many more there will be, this will kill WoW, this will obliderate everyone and eat their soul", and people belived them.

That said, I don't really expect ArenaNet to say anything until they sort the problems up. When they will I'm sure they'll tell the people "thank you for buying the game, something like [insert number here] million players bought the game, so we thank you". And then the GW2 fanatics (since I see this game has some too) will come and say "see? told you this game is killing everyone" and the GW2 haters will come and say "HA! it didn't even come close to WoW numbers". And everyone will be dumber if they read those last two.

So, bottom line, we don't know.

probably around 4.5m
    Thats some strawman, besides they said that 0.001% thing before the karmagate incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsml View Post
    Theres so way 4.5m are currently playing, when it's so overrated.
    I'll agree with the first part of your sentence.

4.5 seems really high, but the guy you quoted did the math and it's right so something's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    Thats some strawman, besides they said that 0.001% thing before the karmagate incident.
    Ohhhh, I didn't realize that the number was given before the karma incident. Makes more sense now.
    Last edited by lopk; 2012-09-04 at 11:56 AM.

Deleted
    I am playing Guild Wars 2. So it's whatever they sold + me. There's your start.

Deleted
    we dont know. Only Anet knows.

They had 1mil + presales, and 400k concurrent users. But that does not take into account pre-orders (Not prepurchase) or post launch sales.

We know its doing very well as they have had to shut off digital sales ot upgrade servers to cope with the demand, but other than that we dont know.

Yeah because following Biowares example on launching a game is a good idea how?

Keep in mind arenanet doesn't care about killing wow they are just focusing on making the product they have better. Word of mouth is how this game is growing and the product they released is backing it up. The launch alone was the smoothest i have ever seen a game go live. That right there says alot about how much arenanet is working on quality over sub quantity. If things keep going like this you will see GW2 having a very solid player base adding in the players they arleady had from GW1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Is that supposed to be some sort of joke, or what?

//edit: your terrible sense of humor along with your stupidity do you no favor.
    It's probably more of the same stupid ignorance that SWtoR players had. They take the feel from their own server, think a little about it, and then pull a random high number out of their arses. Because since WoW has so many players, a superior game should easily obtain it in a month or two.

Another thing to add is that you can't count players in GW2 the same way you count players in WoW. WoW players are actively paying a subscription, whereas GW2 players pay for the game only. It's hard to compare.
    Last edited by mmoc522dc42c8a; 2012-09-04 at 12:11 PM.

I love the internet, where a simple question becomes a cess pool of hate and sphincter jokes. Glorious!

Also it's somewhere between 1 and 4 million. Give or take 2 million.

Deleted
    The more important question is not so much how many active players GW2 has at launch, but rather how many of them don't go back to playing other mmorpg's.

I'm only guessing but I think MoP may offset the number of wow players that have permanently left for GW2, leaving wows player base more or less stable, and I think the likes of Rift, Swtor, Lotro and Terra may see a sizable drop in their player bases.

Still, until official figures are released it's all guess work