Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Fluffy Kitten Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    You can if you're prot. You can macro it with Shield of the Righteous (the shield slam move) as sotr is not on the gcd. So that anytime you hit the sotr you also put the shield up, you can even cast the shield if you can't cast sotr yet.
    Great idea. I think we all just assumed it was for Ret (damn spell has been Ret exclusive for... what, 2 expacs?) and overlooked its use in prot.

    Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    You can if you're prot. You can macro it with Shield of the Righteous (the shield slam move) as sotr is not on the gcd. So that anytime you hit the sotr you also put the shield up, you can even cast the shield if you can't cast sotr yet.
    I really wouldn't recommend that.

    Usually you will be using Shield of the Righteous when the GCD is already taken by a rotational ability.
    Not to mention sometimes you will be casting WoG instead, or saving your Holy Power for a bosses big ability which is coming up - during which time Sacred Shield may fall off.

    I'd recommend just giving Sacred Shield it's own keybind, unless you get very lucky with Grand Crusader procs you will have a few empty GCDs in any 30 second period. Just slot Sacred Shield in to one of those gaps.

  3. #23
    sacred shield is not like inquisition its better to use it at the right moment not just having it permanent.
    if you have the buff acitve for lets say 10 seks (ability 6 sek CD so its ready) and then someone damage you and break your shield, you can recast it and get a new shield.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsod View Post
    sacred shield is not like inquisition its better to use it at the right moment not just having it permanent.
    if you have the buff acitve for lets say 10 seks (ability 6 sek CD so its ready) and then someone damage you and break your shield, you can recast it and get a new shield.
    it lasts 30 seconds and is refreshed every six seconds of that...what are you talking about?

  5. #25
    Old God MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    10,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Lological View Post
    it lasts 30 seconds and is refreshed every six seconds of that...what are you talking about?
    Because the 6 second absorb does not take a certain amount off per hit. It absorbs I don't know... lets call it 6k just to keep it simple. You take a hit of 10k just after it refreshes itself and you now have no shield for the next 5.5 seconds so all attacks in that period have no absorb.

    What he is saying is that you get 1 automatic refresh every 6 seconds which will absorb X damage total. After the CD is up, if you have nothing else to press, hitting Sacred Shield again makes sense because you get an auto-shield on the cast so you don't have to wait for it to proc again, you can have another shield in that 6 second time period. So you can essentially get an extra absorb every now and then if you have an empty GCD (you won't at level 90 I can tell you that now).

    So it can be a "fire and forget for 30 seconds" or after the first 6 seconds you can hit it again and providing the shield has been broken for that particular proc then you'll get another one for that 30second length. It's a bit awkward to explain and I've inevitably confused you all and repeated myself 10 times but hopefully it makes some sense.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Oh shut the fuck up you spack cunt.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Because the 6 second absorb does not take a certain amount off per hit. It absorbs I don't know... lets call it 6k just to keep it simple. You take a hit of 10k just after it refreshes itself and you now have no shield for the next 5.5 seconds so all attacks in that period have no absorb.

    What he is saying is that you get 1 automatic refresh every 6 seconds which will absorb X damage total. After the CD is up, if you have nothing else to press, hitting Sacred Shield again makes sense because you get an auto-shield on the cast so you don't have to wait for it to proc again, you can have another shield in that 6 second time period. So you can essentially get an extra absorb every now and then if you have an empty GCD (you won't at level 90 I can tell you that now).

    So it can be a "fire and forget for 30 seconds" or after the first 6 seconds you can hit it again and providing the shield has been broken for that particular proc then you'll get another one for that 30second length. It's a bit awkward to explain and I've inevitably confused you all and repeated myself 10 times but hopefully it makes some sense.
    Yeah, I do believe the mechanics of sacred shield needs a bit of tuning. I mean what's the point of it going off automatically IF you can just manually refresh it everytime it goes off, as it has no cd and practically no cost. I do believe it needs to have a 30 sec cooldown in order for the proc mechanic to have sense, otherwise ppl will just refresh it 24/7 as soon as it absorbed its amount and went down for the next 5 sec.

    Imagine pvp.
    You put it up. Guy hits you for 8k, shield absorbed and went down. You recast it. Guy hits you for 8k and it absorbs and goes down. You recast it... And hit him with spells here and there.

  7. #27
    Old God MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    10,571
    Sacred Shield has a 6 second cooldown by the way ^^
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Oh shut the fuck up you spack cunt.

  8. #28
    Fluffy Kitten Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    It's a bit awkward to explain and I've inevitably confused you all and repeated myself 10 times but hopefully it makes some sense.
    It does make sense, particularly when you (I) get dazed so much trying to pull a bunch of mobs that you (I) start to look for ways to prevent the daze, and refreshing SS within that 6 second gap does it.

    Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

  9. #29
    They're making it so SS has it's initial tick at the end now, to prevent the cast-used up before 6 seconds/cancel-recast 'method'

    "One additional paladin note is that we are moving the initial tick of Sacred Shield to the end. We didn't want players to feel like the right way to play was to constantly cancel and overwrite the bubble." (Beta Class Analysis thread 2)

    So now it's fire and forget for 30 secs, or would that make it 36 now?...
    Last edited by JonBoy2001; 2012-09-05 at 10:31 PM.
    Moo.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    They're making it so SS has it's initial tick at the end now, to prevent the cast-used up before 6 seconds/cancel-recast 'method'

    "One additional paladin note is that we are moving the initial tick of Sacred Shield to the end. We didn't want players to feel like the right way to play was to constantly cancel and overwrite the bubble." (Beta Class Analysis thread 2)

    So now it's fire and forget for 30 secs, or would that make it 36 now?...
    As I have said a few posts above. )))

    It makes no sense that an ability that casts by itself under the right conditions, to be overridden manually by the player and bypass its requirements.

  11. #31
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    66
    Dont really find sacred shield much of a problem, using Debuff Filter, so made a nice bar for it and put it somewhere near my focus where its not in the way. Then its easy to keep a hold of. Button 10 on my beloved razer naga Took a little time to get used to tho.

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    I can't fathom why you'd even do this. It lasts for 30 seconds, and is it really that hard to keep check on?
    actually it is not that difficult to keep track of. Macro it to something that is not on the global cooldown if you are too lazy to keep track of it. then you need only make sure that a global cooldown is complete and use both spells.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 10:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Judge40 View Post
    I really wouldn't recommend that.

    Usually you will be using Shield of the Righteous when the GCD is already taken by a rotational ability.
    Not to mention sometimes you will be casting WoG instead, or saving your Holy Power for a bosses big ability which is coming up - during which time Sacred Shield may fall off.

    I'd recommend just giving Sacred Shield it's own keybind, unless you get very lucky with Grand Crusader procs you will have a few empty GCDs in any 30 second period. Just slot Sacred Shield in to one of those gaps.
    I have never had down time.





    There is no bad RNG only bad L2P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •