Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    For me there just isn't anything out there that I want. I could care less if I don't have the latest clothes or electronics. If you can't get into that frame of mind create a budget. Make sure your any bills are paid and put some money into savings. Allow yourself a certain amount of money to spend on whatever you like. Talk to someone in your bank and they can help you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of something expensive to buy.

I am a bit like that, got 3 new mouse in the last 6 months (Naga > Logi G700 > Naga Hex), new headset, other bits and pieces.

The way I stop myself, is eye up a $2700 PC, that way you won't be spending for a few months.

After that, I will get new keyboard (G-17 please!!!) new monitor (Samsung 27" LED monitors are on offer!!!), after that I probably save up for a new car.

The more expensive the item is, the longer you will go without spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    Said so casually, as if it's the easiest thing ever. lol
    I, frankly, don't understand why it's so difficult to not spend money.

Seriously OP. Set aside 10% of your money and put it in a bank account you don't have easy access to.

Open an account with some bank, cut up the debit card and deposit at least 10% of everything you get into that account.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Self control is easier said than done.
    When I was 18 and had my first job, I would spend all my paycheck on games, computer parts and food.
    Then when my landlord got angry about me not paying rent, and when I couldn't pay off debt, I started learning about money management.

The OP had better get it under control before they get themselves in a pickle, and then end up learning the hard way.

I'm gonna give the OP a piece of advice that he should stick with forever.

http://www.getrichslowly.org

Set that as your home page and read it every day.

If you listen to that guy you'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    Said so casually, as if it's the easiest thing ever. lol
    Said so casually, as if the fact that it's not easy somehow means it's impossible. lol
    Last edited by Torq; 2012-09-04 at 08:56 PM.

Self control and suffering. You spent all your money on stupid stuff and cant buy food, starve, go without new clothes, walk everywhere and decline and ride, you wanted to spend the money so obviously you didnt want food or transportation.

This will fix your problem or break you.

If you really want something bad enough you will save for it. It seems you don't want to drive but rather stay in your parents basement and play games. Eventually you will realize your priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathias View Post
    Sadly, the money I get is from school (SU) in denmark, which gives me around 3k a month which is pretty much spent instantly, on shit like food, even random wow transfers...

Every time I buy something I feel horrid the next two or three hours, I know I need to save, but I cant
    Your school should have a counseling center. Try it out.

Go see a psychologist... could be that you're trying to fill some type of void by buying things. Or perhaps you're unhappy and the feelings of buying something is addicting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously? Just stop buying shit already!
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Go see a psychologist... could be that you're trying to fill some type of void by buying things. Or perhaps you're unhappy and the feelings of buying something is addicting.
    Or, you know, instead of wasting his money on a therapist, he could just say "no."

It's really not that hard to do. The first time is always the hardest, and sure you'll have relapses, but that shouldn't stop anyone.

you could be dead tomorrow, no point been the richest person at the cemetery. Though self control isn't to hard

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 09:27 PM ----------

He doesn't want to waste money, a therapist is just a pretender that try to put you in a box that you probably don't fit in, you may as well set your money on fire

The way i solved my spending problem was to give a good friend my debit card for a while. and limiting myself from withdrawals from the bank(making it so if i wanted to buy something i HAD to go to the bank, i am very lazy and this detered me from getting more money.) My friend had my debit card in which he allowed me to buy the things i needed(wow time, i needed a new headset, etc.) and after about a month, he gave it back and i didnt have the need to spend all that money any more.

Honestly spending money on something you "need" like PC upgrades new accessories, cloths and shit like that is ok and you shouldn't feel bad about it. My motto atm is "spend while you can, there will be times when you cant buy shit".

The problem is when you spend most of the money on shit like drugs and alcohol which you ain't (i wish i could get back all the cash i spend during the years )
    Char transfers are almost equally useless tho, but its long time investment if you ain't crazy and pick the right server.

On the other hand if you really want to save up for something(car in your case) you should really get some self control and start saving...even half of the income would be fine so you can still buy some cheap things each time you get money. Or you know you can get some kind of loan to buy the car, that will make you stop spending all the money since you will have to pay monthly to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    you could be dead tomorrow, no point been the richest person at the cemetery. Though self control isn't to hard

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 09:27 PM ----------

He doesn't want to waste money, a therapist is just a pretender that try to put you in a box that you probably don't fit in, you may as well set your money on fire
    Wow talk about close minded. Not wanting to waste money is one thing, he is addicted to buying things though.

Deleted
    Had the same problem two years ago. Bought one thing, told myself I can afford it, bought another, told friends I'm a "collector", kept spending, hit rock bottom.

It's a tough problem to fight and very easy to relapse in, but coming here and posting about it is already a good sign with you acknowledging it as a problem. I too wouldn't really recommend seeing a psychiatrist, as those can be expensive, but it is still better to keep it as the last resort. No fun being poor and having people ask where did your last paycheck go.

I would advise you to try to have enough self-control to not make instant purchases. If you see something nice that you want, wait to the next day and get a friend/relative/someone whose opinion you can ask. They should be able to tell you that you really don't need a 300$ USB-beercooler right now. Whatever you do, do not trust your brain when it tells you that it's an "investment for the future" or that you have accounted your money and it's ok to splurge. Being able to resist that rationalization part of your mind is what will make or break it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Or, you know, instead of wasting his money on a therapist, he could just say "no."

It's really not that hard to do. The first time is always the hardest, and sure you'll have relapses, but that shouldn't stop anyone.
    He could but it also is a possibility he could have a deeper issue. People can be addicted to food, drinking, smoking, and buying. For various reasons.

bah im like this with steam, when they put up them 75% off sales my wallet gets light.. damn them! :P but yes self control is just it force yourself to not buy shit and save for something good.

He could but it also is a possibility he could have a deeper issue. People can be addicted to food, drinking, smoking, and buying. For various reasons.
    People also have this incredible capacity for rewiring their very psychology, when sufficiently motivated. It just sounds to me like the's not yet sufficiently motivated, nor is he looking to become so; he's looking for an easy way out.

Psychological addictions can always be broken through proper self-control. Physiological ones... nah, not always.

"Buying things" is squarely in the first category.

And before you say "but what about obsessive-compulsives?!?!" He's not one. He's just gotten lazy about his self-control; now he has to actually work to revert that.