10+ Year Old Account

Protection Aoe weak?

Atm feels like protection aoe is overly weak, ofc switching to SoR for aoe, but still its like slapping a wet noodle over the mobs, tank with a dk and u feel like u might aswell go sit in a corner. this is at lvl 85. Anyone know the differences between 85 and 90 for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    At 90 Prot Paladins (from what I've read/heard) are supposed to be the best along with Feral Druids. We'll see though how it actually pans out. I know I feel like I'm doing NOTHING though when I 2 tank a fight.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haaz View Post
    Atm feels like protection aoe is overly weak, ofc switching to SoR for aoe, but still its like slapping a wet noodle over the mobs, tank with a dk and u feel like u might aswell go sit in a corner. this is at lvl 85. Anyone know the differences between 85 and 90 for this?
    From what I have been reading, it depends on your gearing level.

On trash in 5-mans, you are going to be weak if you are decently geared. I have the same issue on my paladin. On bosses, raid trash, and raid bosses, there is no threat issue at all. Things should normalize at 90 and we just have to take the limps until MoP.

Though I don't know for sure, it could be due to the new way in which vengeance is calculated (based on your damage taken for the last 7 seconds). DKs, designed to eat a bunch of damage and then regain health, might be stacking vengeance better than prot paladins, who mitigate a lot of that damage through blocking and are typically less spikey.

I have definitely felt pretty inadequate when tanking against a warrior or frost dk in 5 mans. I've also noticed my damage is like 60% that of the other tank on my raid team who plays a blood dk, both single and aoe. However, aside from being weaker than the dk, I don't notice a significant struggle in actual raid. I'm sure itll balance out better when dps isn't hitting with numbers so buffed by an end of expac patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    In raids I have no issues with threat generation or holding it. Damage output though it feels like I'm tanking with a stuffed animal though. I HOPE vengeance is changed eventually though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't rely on Hammer of the Righteous to hold aggro like we used to. Use Consecration as often as possible (on cooldown, if you can), and don't forget Holy Wrath either.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Though I don't know for sure, it could be due to the new way in which vengeance is calculated (based on your damage taken for the last 7 seconds). DKs, designed to eat a bunch of damage and then regain health, might be stacking vengeance better than prot paladins, who mitigate a lot of that damage through blocking and are typically less spikey.
    Vengeance is based on unmitigated damage. Neither armor, absorbs, or blocks affect it. Only dodge and parry will affect your Vengeance gains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Avenger's Shield
    Holy Wrath
    Seal of Righteousness
    Consecration
    Hammer of Light or Holy Prism

more than enough AoE threat tools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye Its plenty of tools, and of I use concecration on cd. the buff we got to it was pretty neat. frost dks/other dps aint really a problem. it while tanking raids with another tank, u just end up feeling utterly useless. no burst threat, means other tank gets all aggor on everything, he gets a chunk of vengeance, and I can go sit in my corner
    And yea vengeance stacks of unmitigated dmg, over 20 sec. (not 7) and dodge parry puts the timer back to 20 sec, so there is no reason any other tank would get more vengeance. scaling however idk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Avenger's Shield
    Holy Wrath
    Seal of Righteousness
    Consecration
    Hammer of Light or Holy Prism

more than enough AoE threat tools.
    Indeed. And don't forget Cons is now a 9 second cooldown and can be glyphed to be targeted like DnD works (is very useful in 5 mans, especially on Mannoroth.)

As for offtanking? Yeah, if I don't have a mob, I taunt it. The other tank knows to expect it and he doesn't mind.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haaz View Post
    Hammer of the righteous, consecration, holy wrath. Try spamming aoe with a dk like you do with a pala. Dks hit harder with their aoe but they are not spammble as runes are expensive.

imo our attacks are rather weak for aoe, (and single target) compared to other tanks. did firelands with a "lfr gurthalak" dk, (im full BiS geared) and i had no chance at all competing on random aoe trash mobs. Similiar to tanking LFR on beta with a monk. Vengeance ofc scales up our dmg on bosses to somewhat decent. but single target "quest mobs" and aoe trash is so ridiculous bad right now, both at 85 and 90 so it feels like my rusty old spoon now even is made of marshmallows... yey.

not that i play that much of a amazing prot paladin but i enjoy tanking heroics ... i feel that against dps that really understand there class and can pull some good numbers im having minor threat issues ... aoe is also a issue ive been tab targetting even with SOR just to keep agro sometimes

personally i feel that HOR is hitting to weak but idk if thats just me

im quite sure that HotR and especially Crusader strike actually heals your target instead of damaging them when you strike.

(PS. if you did not understand it, those abilitys dont actually heal opponents, they just barely do any damage).
    Last edited by imoom; 2012-09-05 at 01:52 AM. Reason: mr obvious

Prot paladins are A: Messed up somehow or B: doing it wrong.

I gave up on my paladin after Wrath and still haven't gotten him to 85 to even test it out (although at 84 shockadin is INSANE fun) but I have grouped with a lot of prot paladins lately. Every single one of them has done poor damage and had threat issues. Of all the tanks paladins I have seen are by far the lowest on dps/threat.

well, our aoe threat is fine compared to dps usually. it just isnt on par with other tanks. (and tank aoe damage is thru the roof for especially DK's)

It's seems better on beta at 90 then it currently does on live, other tank defiantly have an easier time with aoe threat, which is odd as aoe tanking has been our niche since BC. However i still like the Pally tank changes in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does idd seem better on 90. just a week to wait