10+ Year Old Account

CPU choice and performance.

Hey all,
    I'm thinking about upgrading to an I5 or I7 ivy bridge with hopes of being able
    to enjoy 50-60fps highest graphic settings at 1920x1080.

Right now I'm running an AMD 975BE @ 4.0ghz, 16gb DDR1600, AMD 7950 (950/1300oc), Sabertooth 990FX and
    am not very pleased with my performance.
    Alone I'm around 50fps, but soon as more than one or two people show up,
    I drop into the mid 40s. Combat with 5 or more people and it puts me in the mid 30s.

This is pretty frustrating, I've known for a while that Intel pulls ahead in gaming,
    but outside of GW2, it hasn't been an issue for me. I enjoy Skyrim, Metro2033, BF3 and so on
    at ultra settings with very smooth 50+ fps.

Looking for some feedback from folks with at least Sandybridge chips. Curious what
    your performance is like. Trying to decide if I should spend the money on a new mobo&cpu.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless u got much money to spend, i wouldnt update u have good processor there with som overclocking. But if you have money go for i5 3570k imo.

Get an i5 3570K, a good CPU cooler (Corsair H80 if you like water, or TR Silver Arrow if you want an amazing Air Cooler) and overclock it to 4.2+ GHz. That's the ideal CPU around at the moment for gaming. i7s won't give you any extra FPS over the i5.