Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No one mentioned necromancers. Are all the others overpowered? I haven't noticed, since they can't kill me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rangers are fine. Post your build and we can discuss if its viable. A spirit ranger is a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Define "deal with" the pet? Cause the problem is, unless pets go down in a single hit or something, there's never really gonna be a reason to "deal with" the pet if you can get rid of the pet by just killing the owner. That's just common sense, why waste time dealing with 2 targets when you can get rid of both of them by dealing with a single one?
    For example, in WoW pre-BC Hunters could get a specific cat that had exceptional attack speed so much so it made it very difficult for casters to get casts off they had to deal with the cat before the Hunter much like PVE NPC baddies have to deal with pets before they attack you.

Today in WoW Hunter pets in PVP are about useless, heck Warlock pets pose more of a threat.

In PVE Ranger/Hunters would be fodder with out pets in PVP Rangers/Hunters are fodder due to those same pets basically being rendered useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    There's no class that's so bad right now that it's completely outclassed or uncompetitive.

There are some classes that fit easier to 5v5 teams, and some specs that are hard counters to other specs, but aside from that all the classes seem pretty well done so far. There's some tweaking that does need to be done, but nothing on an epic scale.
    Yes, there actually is. Elementalists are not viable in 5 man pvp. They can't match the burst damage and survivability of a warrior, thief or guardian. There is just no reason to have one on a team.

Deleted
    1) U want to kill faster the enemies and getting killed faster ? = power-precition gear
    U want to survive for a longer time and do lower dps ? = Toughtness-Vitality gear

2) Equip Sword/dagger
    Push 2-3-4 + dogde for the first of couple of secs
    All thiefs burn their resources at the first 6 sec
    other than than they are easy victim

3) Get the <<Protect me>> utility
    All damage are directed to the pet

4) Get Juveline Worf
    2,5 sec aoe fear

5) Next time ask in the Ranger forums
    Some ppl here (like namelessone ) havent played much PvP in Gw2
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-09-05 at 04:20 AM.

Atm I'm using http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMEQ...kUtIYQwhgNBPCA (disregard the pets)
    for pve/WvW. It annoys me that if people run around like headless chickens enough they can almost just move out of the way of all my longbow arrow attacks, shortbow is some what better because of how quickly it can shoot. Also depending on the camera angle some shots will not fire and just go onto a short cd instead of saving my life.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 02:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    1)

5) Next time ask in the Ranger forums
    Some ppl here (like namelessone ) havent played much PvP in Gw2
    This post is less about ranger and more about what people think of class balance and that sometimes it's just not even. But some how I just don't see anything being done any time soon with all the massive issues Anet have to fix
    Last edited by PropayneLOL; 2012-09-05 at 04:29 AM. Reason: posted wrong link
    I believe it's time for me to be famous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    No one mentioned necromancers. Are all the others overpowered? I haven't noticed, since they can't kill me.
    necros are more of a support class... they can`t really kill stuff in pvp unless that guy is afk and the necro has 1 minute to make 20 stack bleed on him then wait until 70dmg ticks eat up 25k hp.

Rangers are pretty beast. Insane damage and potentially some of the best defensive abilities in the game. Although when i tried a ranger i only played an axe/warhorn+longbow pet damage build (zerker amulet/divinity set) i have since seen some rangers be almost untouchable with some sort of shortbow condition build (sorry i don't really have details as i don't play a ranger usually) along with stand still evades and what seems to be a high vigor uptime.

A lot of this is me learning to counter this build (i mostly play as a condition sword+shield warrior that focuses on immobolizes and i normally have absolutely no problems with rangers) and i presume i have been heavily out played whenever i've come up against this builld.

In answer to your question, the balancing has been ongoing for a long time now. IMO i am pretty disappointed in the current thief mechanics as they are very spammy and honestly probably the strongest 1v1 class due to being almost immune for the duration of their initiative bar. You pretty much have to pray for a thief to not be sword/pistol (and as a warrior every thief sticks to me like glue due to being able to get whirling axes) and then just dodge/block all his heartseekers/bleeds until he's out of initiative and disable/burst him down asap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PropayneLOL View Post
    This post is less about ranger and more about what people think of class balance and that sometimes it's just not even. But some how I just don't see anything being done any time soon with all the massive issues Anet have to fix
    U should watch http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/perfect-imbalance
    (talks about League of Legends where u can visibly see the difference of class supperiorities and their meta-anti classes)

GW2 have released 7 days ago . PPL just havent learned to choose defensive cds-builds , rather than offensive and in the end whine at the company .
    For example all classes can nutrilize warriors Charge+Frenzy+Hundred blades simply by dogding or defencive cds like <<Protect me>> utility or Get Juveline Worf <<Howl>> .
    And in the same way Thiefs first 6-7 sec initial burst

If there is a class that can beat everything , we must whine
    If there is a class that can beat anything , but there is a way to counter their burst(cds-specs) , then its the <<runners>> fault

Edit : Meele claases have more damage , cause they have more risk to get kitted-cced all the time
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-09-05 at 05:18 AM.

There's definitely a lot of "nerf this / no, u l2p" starting up, which seems to be the natural progression of any PvP oriented game that uses classes (and if the game doesn't use classes, then weapons are the focus point).

Thieves seem to be the current target, and I can see where folks are coming from, as they're a VERY easy class to do tons of damage with. Sure, there are counters, but there are counters to everything in a perfect scenario (which sPvP frequently isn't).

I think overall though, this game is in very decent shape from a balance perspective, this early in its existence.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Edit : Meele claases have more damage , cause they have more risk to get kitted-cced all the time
    There aren't any pure melee classes in this game though, everyone has a ranged option or 2.

Deleted
    hope arenanet never start this wow "bullshit" and nerf/buff Proffesions weekly cause ppl cry bout getting owned in pvp
    was a bad experience in wow have to relearn the class every 2-3 weeks

gw2 is fine - sounds hard but LEARN2play before you say something is op

10+ Year Old Account
    I've come across a few Rangers in sPvP that are harder to take down than a Guardian, not sure what they're building but they seem to take a ton of damage compared to most Rangers.

Only ones currently causing me any trouble as a Warrior are Guardians and Mesmers, definitely wouldn't call them OP they just stand out as the strongest against my profession/build.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Everyone claims their <Profession X> is weak and that <Profession Y> and <Profession Z> do so much more damage, have so much more control, and worst of all they can do all that without taking any significant damage and just by facerolling. Case in point the guy in this thread who said warriors are overpowered and need a nerf. When it's just a case of knowing what to dodge out, when to use defensive abilities, and when you realize that taking on 3 enemy players on your own will not work.

In other words, it's just a case of adapting and learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PropayneLOL View Post
    And also any tips on WvW, PvP, for ranger would be nice. I like mostly power builds. Atm using longbow/shortbow crit/zeph
    i think that's mainly your problem. if you build a damage heavy ranger with two ranged weapons, you shouldn't be surprised if you get bursted or (out-)controlled a lot.

i'd suggest going for more balanced builds, like taking quite some vitality/toughness/healing into your traits and gear, in addition to power and crit. sword+dagger as 2nd weapon set, instead of a 2nd bow, might also help a lot with staying alive if a thief or warrior for example get into melee range with you

that said, i too feel that rangers could use some more pvp/survival oriented utility. i doubt we'll see major profession changes anytime soon, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    Yes, there actually is. Elementalists are not viable in 5 man pvp. They can't match the burst damage and survivability of a warrior, thief or guardian. There is just no reason to have one on a team.
    Also Elementalist just die when downed, while most other class have a way to avoid the first execute move. They are currently the weakest class in sPvP (and I'm not playing one).

Thieves are very strong, but also extremly easy to play, because of how their ressource system works, they don't need to weapon swap, they don't need to use anyting than autoattack/heartseeker. They need to review the way their ressource work, skill 4 and 5 shouldn't cost initiative and just have cooldown, so thief have somewhat a motivation to weapon swap and use those cooldown.

With the initiative cost on every weapon skills, there will always be a superior skill (heartseeker atm) that will be spammed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear people that complain about spamming heartseeker have never played a thief
    its use the least amount of initiative, and I understand you spot some people uses it 3 times which is wrong but to use leaping death blossom you will do less damage and use more initiative
    they have less health than other classes and can get busted down just as easy or elementalists unless ou control your elite skills
    it is the same with mesmers using decoy in pvp or warriors using evis or 100 strikes or rangers using spike trap or multi shot
    tbh class balance is more even than alot of mmos in its current state ie wow or rift not to drag that conversation out
    Last edited by Window; 2012-09-05 at 08:37 AM.
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekira View Post
    Thieves are very strong, but also extremly easy to play, because of how their ressource system works, they don't need to weapon swap, they don't need to use anyting than autoattack/heartseeker. They need to review the way their ressource work, skill 4 and 5 shouldn't cost initiative and just have cooldown, so thief have somewhat a motivation to weapon swap and use those cooldown.

With the initiative cost on every weapon skills, there will always be a superior skill (heartseeker atm) that will be spammed.
    i think this problem is caused to a large part due to people still learning how to counter other classes, builds, playstyles, etc.
    still i like the idea of making, for example, 1 skill of every weapon (2 for shortbow, obviously) cooldown based.

although i'd rather not let weapon swapping become mostly to just go through all your cooldowns when you've used your current ones already. it is (or was) after all mainly supposed to have access to different tools for different situations, which i really like. if it's not a choice based on what's going on, but a simple go-through-all-cooldowns-i-have-button, it would take quite a bit of fun out of gw2 skill/combat system.

so if we could have thief weapons partly cd based and other profession's weapon partly resource based (or with some partly-shared cds), that would be nice, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    tbh class balance is more even than alot of mmos in its curent state ie wow or rift not to drag that conversation out
    i haven't done enough pvp myself (in gw2) to really comment on the current state of balancing, but keep in mind that it's system is specifically designed in a way that should allow for much easier and more accurate balancing than those of (most) other mmos.

so while it may already be good as it is, it may very well still have the potential to become much better
    Last edited by Sy; 2012-09-05 at 08:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    although i'd rather not let weapon swapping become mostly to just go through all your cooldowns when you've used your current ones already. it is (or was) after all mainly supposed to have access to different tools for different situations, which i really like. if it's not a choice based on what's going on, but a simple go-through-all-cooldowns-i-have-button, it would take quite a bit of fun out of gw2 skill/combat system.

so if we could have thief weapons partly cd based and other profession's weapon partly resource based (or with some partly-shared cds), that would be nice, imo

thats just flat out wrong see how well getting rooted and staying in mellee does you
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Ive found in both pvp and pve, a warrior feels a lot stronger than an elementalist. (pve up to mid 50s and WvW). Maybe I was playing the ele wrong, but although the ele can be a nice addition for slows/status effects, they don't have the 'cannon' of the 'glass cannon' I generally associate with ranged casting classes.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-09-05 at 08:47 AM.

Balance is less of a concern in this game if you look at it this way:

sPvP: Anyone can reroll into one of the more viable classes within literally 10mins and be on equal footing as everyone else; it's only a problem if ONE class is viable, but right not it seems only about 2-3 classes are underpowered. Yes it's definitely no ideal, but it's better than other games (like WoW for example), where you would have to reroll and spend weeks levelling/gearing your character back up.

WvWvW: Classes don't matter much, it's a numbers (and part strategy) game really.

PvE: There is almost no competitive content for PvE, everything is so cooperative; So it doesn't really matter if some classes are overpowered, as long as the underpowered classes are still viable, and at this point in time they all are afaik. Again, yes it's not ideal, but it's much better than having to bring 10 Arcane Mages with legendaries and Rogues to get world first Spine of Deathwing just to have the rest of the world QQ about class stacking.

Seriously, just play and enjoy the game and give Anet time to do the work; the game itself is actually wonderful (and completely different) experience if you can look pass all the vanilla jitters that all the new MMOs will have