15+ Year Old Account

affliction warlock couple questions

my question is do i keep haunt up all the time like before or when it procs at the start of a fight i'll get all my dots up //curse of elements//agony//corruption//UA//haunt//malefi grasp as my filler spell i understand i gotta keep all my dots as before the patch just wondering with haunt taking shards now when we cast it is it better to start a fight with it then recast on a proc to not lose any shards

10+ Year Old Account
    your supposed to use it whenever Night Fall procs, and not expect to have 100% up time

however during the execute phase of a fight you can easily maintain 100% because drain soul will return shards regularly

also you can use Drain Soul before a burst phase and bank 4 shards for when you need to burst.

and if there are multiple targets, multi-dotting all targets with corruption will increase the proc rate of Nightfall, naturally.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-09-04 at 07:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    your supposed to use it whenever Night Fall procs, and not expect to have 100% up time

however during the execute phase of a fight you can easily maintain 100% because drain soul will return shards regularly

also you can use Drain Soul before a burst phase and bank 4 shards for when you need to burst.

and if there are multiple targets, multi-dotting all targets with corruption will increase the proc rate of Nightfall, naturally.

what about nightfall since that gives me a plus shard do i cast on that proc as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    the first thing i said was use it when ever night fall procs

so yes

whenever night fall procs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    the first thing i said was use it when ever night fall procs

so yes

whenever night fall procs.
    then just drain soul if im low on shards testing all this on a dummy atm

If you do it right and get a bit lucky you can get 80%+ uptime on haunt. How nightfall works is that there is a base percent chance to proc on corruption and malefic grasp ticks. For every tick that doesn't proc nightfall the proc chance for the next tick goes up. How I've been playing it is cast haunt and let it fall but I don't wait for a nightfall proc. If I don't get a nightfall proc in a couple seconds after Haunt falls off then I recast Haunt anyway. I also do not refresh Haunt if it's already up and nightfall procs. I save that shard for when haunt is about to fall off. Imo that graphic for a nightfall proc along with the buff stay up too long. It doesn't matter if you use the shard during nightfall or after it you still get the shard either way. By doing this you spread out the spending of your shards on haunt and generally stay shard neutral at 1-2 shards. I'm not saying this method is perfect. It is still entirely possible to get unlucky with nightfall procs and just plain run out of shards. This is just the most consistent method I have found.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    If you do it right and get a bit lucky you can get 80%+ uptime on haunt. How nightfall works is that there is a base percent chance to proc on corruption and malefic grasp ticks. For every tick that doesn't proc nightfall the proc chance for the next tick goes up. How I've been playing it is cast haunt and let it fall but I don't wait for a nightfall proc. If I don't get a nightfall proc in a couple seconds after Haunt falls off then I recast Haunt anyway. I also do not refresh Haunt if it's already up and nightfall procs. I save that shard for when haunt is about to fall off. Imo that graphic for a nightfall proc along with the buff stay up too long. It doesn't matter if you use the shard during nightfall or after it you still get the shard either way. By doing this you spread out the spending of your shards on haunt and generally stay shard neutral at 1-2 shards. I'm not saying this method is perfect. It is still entirely possible to get unlucky with nightfall procs and just plain run out of shards. This is just the most consistent method I have found.

thanx for the tip

Deleted
    I presume that at 90 we will be refreshing our haunt as soon as nightfall procs even if a haunt is still ticking with the new panademic so how else will it affect our spending?