Deleted

Is this a good SSD?

Hi all, I am thinking about buying a SSD to put windows on and then maybe a game or two. A pretty good retailer in the UK (where I live) currently has some VERY good prices on refurbed SSDs.

They are:

Corsair Performance 3 Series P3 64GB = £29.99
    (Maximum Read: 365MB/sec, Maximum Write: 110MB/sec, Controller: Marvell, DRAM Cache Memory: 128 MB)

or

Corsair Performance 3 Series P3 128GB = £53.99
    (Maximum Read: 410MB/sec, Maximum Write: 210MB/sec, Controller: Marvell, DRAM Cache Memory: 128 MB)

or

Corsair Performance 3 Series P3 256GB = £107.99
    (Maximum Read: 480MB/sec, Maximum Write: 320MB/sec, Controller: Marvell, DRAM Cache Memory: 128 MB)

I am leaning more towards the 128GB if I was to purchase one of these, however I am unsure if they are "good" SSDs?
    Has anyone got any feedback about these drives?

Thanks

Deleted
    The 256 is worth the money for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently purchased a Kingston Hyper X 120GB 500mb/s Read/Write of Scan (Another good UK retailer) for £65, So there isn't a lot of difference price wise, I'd go with the Hyper X. I am currently using it as my M17X boot drive (23 second boot) Link http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb...mb-s-85k-iops-
    Quote Originally Posted by sivenom View Post
    That's like saying I can put my graphics card in my dog's skull and she'll see everything in HD tri-color sparkles. Are you really saying we can upload Rebecca Black intot heir system and scramble their defense turrets? Maybe smack on a Java RNG program and cause their weapons to self destruct. Tell you what aliens, come at me! I know C++!! /endrant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchType View Post
    I recently purchased a Kingston Hyper X 120GB 500mb/s Read/Write of Scan (Another good UK retailer) for £65, So there isn't a lot of difference price wise, I'd go with the Hyper X. I am currently using it as my M17X boot drive (23 second boot) Link http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb...mb-s-85k-iops-
    The difference between your buy and OP's suggestions is the controllers these SSD's use. Sandforce one is very tricky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxl View Post
    The difference between your buy and OP's suggestions is the controllers these SSD's use. Sandforce one is very tricky.
    Ah, indeed! Marvell is certainly more reliable (I have an Crucial M4 in my desktop), but I think Sandforce is quicker. However on the box on the HyperX is says 3 year warranty, so perhaps you're covered on that part. When i bought my Crucial, I heard OCZ were really poor, but haven't heard much about Corsair/Kingston
    Quote Originally Posted by sivenom View Post
    That's like saying I can put my graphics card in my dog's skull and she'll see everything in HD tri-color sparkles. Are you really saying we can upload Rebecca Black intot heir system and scramble their defense turrets? Maybe smack on a Java RNG program and cause their weapons to self destruct. Tell you what aliens, come at me! I know C++!! /endrant

Even besides the Sandforce... spectacle, Sandforce remains one of the worst chipsets you want in an SSD, tanking performances in not so uncommon scenarios.
    For the record, I do have a sandforce drive, and I don't really "notice it", but after a while and TRIM taking its toll on Sandforce reducing its performance X clears in. Eh, no, I can't recommend them.

Deleted
    Hi all, thanks for the help. There is another deal on, which seems to be better!

Corsair Force Series GT 60GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive - Refurb
    (Maximum Read: 555MB/sec, Maximum Write: 495MB/sec, Random Write 4KB (Aligned): 85,000 IOPS, Controller: SandForce SF-2281, 30 Day Direct Warranty with Corsair.)
    £28.99

or

Corsair Performance Pro 128GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive - Refurb
    (Maximum Read: 500MB/sec, Maximum Write: 340MB/sec, Controller: Marvell, 30 Day Direct Warranty with Corsair.)
    £56.99

or

Corsair Performance Pro 256GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive - Refurb
    (Maximum Read: 515MB/sec, Maximum Write: 440MB/sec, Controller: Marvell, 30 Day Direct Warranty with Corsair.)
    £99.95

Those prices + speeds seem amazing for an SSD, however being refurbs, I am a little worried about what to do :/

I wouldn't want a refurbed SSD, who knows what the previous owner put them through. Especially with what looks like a 30 day warranty (although it should be longer according to the law)