Level scaling vs Gear

Does anyone know how this actually works?

Do you get a full bonus from your gear or is it reduced by a set percentage based on your level or something?

If I'm a level 50 with crappy level 40 gear, and I go into a level 20 zone, is my gear still crappy? Or is it godly because it's 20 levels higher than the zone?

If I'm a level 20 and I join WvW, get scaled up to 80, am I still wearing lv20 gear or does that get scaled? :S Confused here!

Your gear gets downgraded accordingly, I don't know the math exactly, but it does. I think you still keep those rune/sygil bonuses though + the extra stat your higher lvl gear may have (if it has 3, you get them diminished, but you still have 3 extra stats compared to a white gear which has none). Same goes for traits, they also get downgraded. You will not be godly with all that, but you will be somewhat stronger due to those things I mentioned.

Yes, level scaling works. When leveled downed a character's stats are reduced to max level range of the area +1. All other benefits of true level are intact.

If you open up your character screen you can see the effective level stats have been readjusted to as green numbers [adjusted] beside the white numbers [true level stat].

Example:

Notice the green numbers? Those are the values of down leveling for that area. Which at the time was a level 5 or so area when my true level was 70 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Does anyone know how this actually works?

Do you get a full bonus from your gear or is it reduced by a set percentage based on your level or something?

If I'm a level 50 with crappy level 40 gear, and I go into a level 20 zone, is my gear still crappy? Or is it godly because it's 20 levels higher than the zone?

If I'm a level 20 and I join WvW, get scaled up to 80, am I still wearing lv20 gear or does that get scaled? :S Confused here!
    The stats on the gear get scaled accordingly, having level 40 gear at level 50 in a level 20 zone you will still be more powerful then a level 20 in level 20 gear in a level 20 zone (just flat out due to the stats you get from those 30 extra trait points is well above the stats lose from having gear 10 levels below your level), but not as powerful as a level 50 in level 50 gear in a level 20 zone...

But its easy to see that gear scales and you can test by how much yourself as well, take say a level 20 chest peice and your level 40 chest peice with you into WvW, have one equipped screenshot the stats page in the hero pane, then equip the level 40 peice and screenshot the character stats page and then take off the chest in general screen shot the hero pane stats, then leave WvW as fast as you can after taking said 3 screen shots if your not going to PvP so that people who are there to actually PvP can.

Once you have those 3 screen shots you can compare the stat changes between no chest and level 20 chest, then between no chest and level 40 chest and see how it scales, since the difference between no chest and x chest will be the stats you get purely from said piece. (Obvbiously testing the scaling up only works untill your 80, but you can do a similar thing in say that level 20 zone you where "wanting" to play in using the same technique of no chest, low level chest, and then your current chest to see how it scales in the opposite way.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 10:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes, level scaling works. When leveled downed a character's stats are reduced to max level range of the area +1. All other benefits of true level are intact.

If you open up your character screen you can see the effective level stats have been readjusted to as green numbers [adjusted] beside the white numbers [true level stat].

Notice the green numbers? Those are the values of down leveling for that area. Which at the time was a level 5 or so area when my true level was 70 or so.
    I think you slightly missed his question... his question was about how the gear stats scale and per his example if having lower then current level gear would yeild having the stats downscaled lower then being "at level" and having "at level" gear (AKA if a level 50 in level 40 gear being downscaled to 20 is weaker then a level 20 in level 20 gear not downscaled)

Thanks

So basically I read:
    If I'm level 40 and I goto a level 20 area in my level 40 gear, I'll be absolutely smashing stuff around in the level 20 zone (at roughly the same rate as a level 25 in level 25 gear). But if I go back at level 50, wearing the same gear I was at 40, I won't be quite as strong as the first scenario.

Thanks

So basically I read:
    If I'm level 40 and I goto a level 20 area in my level 40 gear, I'll be absolutely smashing stuff around in the level 20 zone (at roughly the same rate as a level 25 in level 25 gear). But if I go back at level 50, wearing the same gear I was at 40, I won't be quite as strong as the first scenario.
    I think it scale you down to about max allowed in that region. In level 20 area you should be as powerful at level 40 with level 40 gear as level 60 with level 40 gear with exception of benefits you get from traits that you have more of. It is actually quite easy to check since it shows your "adjusted" values. I'll test it out with my normal set of gear and swap out to similarly itemized one and see how my stats change.

Deleted
    Thanks

So basically I read:
    Yes... and no. You won't be "smashing stuff around", as the max allowed stat for any given level still makes it a bit of a challenge, but you will certainly have your stats maximized in accordance to what the area allows.

10+ Year Old Account
    What really bothers me isn't when the gear gets scaled down... it's when the area doesn't scale you down properly. There's at least one section of the Charr starter zone that makes you fight level 10's as a level 7 and it's pretty damn painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaenroh View Post
    What really bothers me isn't when the gear gets scaled down... it's when the area doesn't scale you down properly. There's at least one section of the Charr starter zone that makes you fight level 10's as a level 7 and it's pretty damn painful.
    Actually it scaling you down to 7 when the mobs are 10 for that specific DE is working as intended. The reason some DEs scale you down 2-4 levels below the enemies is because its a DE that is suppose to be challenging to do, and forcing you below levels ensures that it is as challenging as intended. DEs that are suppose to be easy you generally get scaled down 2-4 levels above the content... to sum up the down scaling puts you between levels (x-4) to (x+4) where x is the level of the DE based upon how challenging the event is suppose to be, for example enemies invading a town is suppose to be harder then you going to destroy the idols of the one creatures that will worship pretty much anything, which is suppose to be harder then say collecting apples for an apple pie, so the invasion may put you at level (x-2), while the destroying idols may put you at level (x), while collecting apples may put you at level (x+3)...

See the scaling down is scaling you down properly you just may have not noticed that things that are suppose to be hard scale you below level while things that are suppose to be trivial scale you above level.