Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    As someone who only plays limited (almost exclusively drafts) I'm really looking forward to drafting this set. So far Izzet looks to be wayyy strong for drafting though. Golgari (besides the planeswalker) seems like a bit of an iffy guild for drafts. Personally really looking forward to what Azorius will bring. (Though I'm VERY VERY excited about Gatecrash, Simic and Orzhov were and will be my favorite guilds)

I am thinking of updating my B/G zombie deck I had set up for RTR into Jund Zombies. Being able to use Abrupt Decay, Bonfire of the Damned, and Dreadbore while using really strong 4 drops like Aristocrat and Jarad make me think it will work really well. The mana base is set up nice in just RTR.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2012-09-07 at 08:54 PM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend is raving about his new goblin deck. Unlike mine which focuses on blowing them up, his focuses on quick swarms. And he can do it well, with Chancellor of the Forge and Raging Goblin. Goblin Chieftain, Goblin Bushwhacker, and Goblin Wardriver give them tons of offense, and Bloodmark Mentor keeps the alive in combat. He claims he averages two 1/1 haste goblins on turn one, and a four turn win isn't uncommon. Sadly, I live too far away to take him down a peg.

My goblin deck works off of pinging everything to death, along with Gratuitous Violence to make sure of it. It isn't unheard of for my Goblin Sharpshooter to do 2-4 damage in one ping. It is both the worst and the best goblin deck ever.

Uh oh, syncopate reprint:

Probably won't matter since every card in this set can't be countered :P

But I'm definitely looking forward to running this in my standard reanimator along with mulch and faithless looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Theory of Thaddeus View Post
    Uh oh, syncopate reprint:
    [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135372&stc=1&d=1346990652[/ig]

Probably won't matter since every card in this set can't be countered :P

But I'm definitely looking forward to running this in my standard reanimator along with mulch and faithless looting.
    [img]http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135151&d=1346558951[/ig]
    Only 5 things will not be able to be countered, and then most likely another 5 in GTC. Synopticate is about all we will be getting while Snapcaster Mage is out and about. I am just glad Remand isn't coming back, that would definitely hurt a lot of people while Snappy is around.

I am also hearing that Abrupt Decay is messing up formats already with future testing. I should get preorders now before the card jumps up $5 more.

All sorts of fun things are going to happen with the elemental. Trostani is going to be super annoying to play against in limited.

Deleted
    That elemental is absolutely fantastic, from the comments on mtgsalvation I can see people are severely underestimating it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 07:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    All sorts of fun things are going to happen with the elemental. Trostani is going to be super annoying to play against in limited.

glad it's mythic so you won't see it much in limited

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Last time I played a game of this was before... I forget the name, but it had the double gear on the bottom right hand of card art, just about the description. I think this was in 2000? I haven't kept up with this game since then, as they basically banned the use of any card before 6th edition, and a lot of the cards after that were just a bit much to me.
    This is my problem. I stopped playing around the same time because I just got tired of them banning cards and releasing new cards that did something close to or better then the ones they banned. I also dont like the fact that they dont reprint sets. If you are going to ban a card fine dont reprint but if its still legal then you should continue to print it. I have watched a few tournaments though and some of the new rule sets are just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    That elemental is absolutely fantastic, from the comments on mtgsalvation I can see people are severely underestimating it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 07:50 AM ----------

glad it's mythic so you won't see it much in limited
    Actually people seem to be overestimating more than underestimating it. Some people think that using their whole hand on their second turn is the smart play. I will admit though, this card is ridiculous and will have uses in Modern and Legacy, along with Standard Delver.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    This is my problem. I stopped playing around the same time because I just got tired of them banning cards and releasing new cards that did something close to or better then the ones they banned. I also dont like the fact that they dont reprint sets. If you are going to ban a card fine dont reprint but if its still legal then you should continue to print it. I have watched a few tournaments though and some of the new rule sets are just stupid.
    That unfortunately is the reserved list. It is something that Wizards will not get rid of or loosen the strings on, at least for now. It is an unspoken law right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a purely kitchen table guy and a hardcore jonny to boot, I must say I'm really looking forward to this block.

Ravnica has always been my favorite plane.

10+ Year Old Account
    I misread that elemental at first. I thought it said exile from your graveyard. That would have been totally OP, given the "free" cost. But you still have to pay for and cast the spell. I'm not so sure. Given that you'll need a heavy spell deck (and it's Izzet so yeah), you don't want to be wasting your spells on a single creature that is easily controlled.

Hmm. I'm going to have to do some testing with this card.

Also, what formats do you guys usually play? I play a decent amount of legacy and I'm working on a new vintage deck.

EDH is the only format I play. It takes longer for your deck to get boring, and you can have a skeleton of cards that go in every deck, like Sol Ring, Solemn Simulacrum etc.. RTR seems pretty cool so far, although I liked the Alar Block a lot more. I wish they'd stop printing Angels for a couple blocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god, Growing Ranks. I thought Populate was an Azorius thing, but I was wrong. It's going to work perfectly with the old Selesnya deck. Plus, Slime Shaping gives you a powerful token you can keep copying (hence its name). Oh, and add Trostani to that. Infinite life and population.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-11 at 09:48 PM.

Actually people seem to be overestimating more than underestimating it. Some people think that using their whole hand on their second turn is the smart play. I will admit though, this card is ridiculous and will have uses in Modern and Legacy, along with Standard Delver.
    How would you expect to use up all your hand on the 2nd turn? Rituals and cheap draw/manamorphose? You need to cast the spell and remove it from the stack while it is still there, so all in all, I don't see any way this is even remotely viable. Most likely it will be used to pump the guy when spells no longer have valid targets, are pointless or when they are about to be countered.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I misread that elemental at first. I thought it said exile from your graveyard. That would have been totally OP, given the "free" cost. But you still have to pay for and cast the spell. I'm not so sure. Given that you'll need a heavy spell deck (and it's Izzet so yeah), you don't want to be wasting your spells on a single creature that is easily controlled.
    It can work against control or tempo. If they go to counter your spell you just get rid of your spell and get a boost from it. It gives you an option when your option goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    How would you expect to use up all your hand on the 2nd turn? Rituals and cheap draw/manamorphose? You need to cast the spell and remove it from the stack while it is still there, so all in all, I don't see any way this is even remotely viable. Most likely it will be used to pump the guy when spells no longer have valid targets, are pointless or when they are about to be countered.
    Phyrexian mana spells, plus at least two 1 cmc spells on the first turn. In magic christmas land you could make him an 11/11 on the play turn 2. Which wouldn't be horrible, would be pretty damn funny too.

Much like the time I tried to win turn 3 at the New Phyrexia prerelease.

It can work against control or tempo. If they go to counter your spell you just get rid of your spell and get a boost from it. It gives you an option when your option goes away.

Phyrexian mana spells, plus at least two 1 cmc spells on the first turn. In magic christmas land you could make him an 11/11 on the play turn 2. Which wouldn't be horrible, would be pretty damn funny too.

Much like the time I tried to win turn 3 at the New Phyrexia prerelease.
    But then you'd need your hand to be exactly 1 elemental, 1 land, 1 acceleration spell, and the rest phyrexian mana... when people say stifling a dreadnaught is a janky combo, this one is far worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    But then you'd need your hand to be exactly 1 elemental, 1 land, 1 acceleration spell, and the rest phyrexian mana... when people say stifling a dreadnaught is a janky combo, this one is far worse!
    That is why it is Magic Christmas Land, where everything is perfect and you some how get a god hand every single game. Of course I know that doesn't happen, but those are just truly amazing hands when you are on the play on turn 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is why it is Magic Christmas Land, where everything is perfect and you some how get a god hand every single game. Of course I know that doesn't happen, but those are just truly amazing hands when you are on the play on turn 2.
    Turn one wins ftw