Page 1 of 114
... LastLast

Magic: the Gathering: the Thread

As the title says this is the Magic: the Gathering thread about the greatest card game of all time (more of a selling point for the thread rather than a true statement, but it is sort of like opinion.)

So what do you folks think about Return to Ravnica? I loved the first one, even though I didn't play too much during it, and the cards coming out now are definitely amazing, especially the new gorgon planeswalker.

Her abilities are definitely well designed.

So if you enjoy the game we can talk about whatever that is about the game. Standard, Commander (EDH), Legacy, Modern, random cards, decks, and everything else for the game.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

An (almost) maelstrom pulse ability in a plansewalker. Jund all over again!? Either way, Return to Ravinca does look pretty good so far. Can't wait for Scars of Mirrodin block to rotate.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Vraska is insane. Granted, they're just little 1/1's, but there are ways to get them through. They're basically three Phage's you gotta look out for.

On the flip side, the new Jace sucks. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.

I'm loving the new Scavenge ability, and Populate, if it's what I think it is (when you populate, put a token into play that's a copy of a creature you control?) I don't really see how Scavenge will work with Dredge (if the old sets are supposed to work with the new ones), since Dredge requires you to keep your graveyard full, and Scavenge requires you to kick em out. There's a hell of a combo already though that can pump out tons of +1/+1 counters. Seems Scavenge works better with the old Simic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That Vraska is insane. Granted, they're just little 1/1's, but there are ways to get them through. They're basically three Phage's you gotta look out for.

I'm loving the new Scavenge ability, and Populate, if it's what I think it is (when you populate, put a token into play that's a copy of a creature you control?) I don't really see how Scavenge will work with Dredge (if the old sets are supposed to work with the new ones), since Dredge requires you to keep your graveyard full, and Scavenge requires you to kick em out. There's a hell of a combo already though that can pump out tons of +1/+1 counters. Seems Scavenge works better with the old Simic.
    Jace is alright, he will probably show up in some control 75s, but definitely not a 4 of. He is better than Jace 3.0, about the same power as Jace 1.0, and no new Jace will beat Jace 2.0 any time soon.

Scavenge has synergy with Dredge because you want that card in your graveyard. Having a card mean something in the grave and not be "wasted" is why Scavenge and Dredge work so well together.

Rakdos looks to be the one that got the short straw again, but we have gotten none of the uncommon "if it has a +1/+1 counter on it then <extra effect>" so right now it looks pretty meh.

I think the new Jace has some potential. His +1 kinda sucks, but Fact or Fiction for a few turns can give you some serious card advantage. I biased though since I love Fact or Fiction and this is the closest it will come to standard again.

Quote Originally Posted by Theory of Thaddeus View Post
    I think the new Jace has some potential. His +1 kinda sucks, but Fact or Fiction for a few turns can give you some serious card advantage. I biased though since I love Fact or Fiction and this is the closest it will come to standard again.
    Besides Sphinx of Uthuun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    A seven drop is too much for me :P I should have said, "A good fact or fiction".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more stoked they're reprinting the shock lands.

Granted, that probably means my vast collection of them (4 playsets of each) is going to plummet in price...but that's fine. If it means I can get a hold of more, and with different art, all the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Theory of Thaddeus View Post
    A seven drop is too much for me :P I should have said, "A good fact or fiction".
    Then you never played it in any reanimator or even U/B Control (early in INN) in Standard or used it in EDH. While it isn't a 4 of type of card it sure did have a home in some decks.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

Granted, that probably means my vast collection of them (4 playsets of each) is going to plummet in price...but that's fine. If it means I can get a hold of more, and with different art, all the better.
    Shocks are definitely a good thing and it is good they reprinted it, definitely didn't need Modern to have Legacy prices on their lands, also because I didn't get a chance to get them a first time and paying $30 for a Hallowed Fountain did not make me feel good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad they're reprinting the shocks. Got the ones I need for my modern deck (Jund), but it's good that the entry price for modern will go down by at least a bit.

Overall the set seems pretty decent. the 2 uncommon 1-drops are both great, and the design on vraska is sweet.

Unfortunately I didn't play during ravnica 1.0 (took a break from champions to Rise of the eldrazi) but I'm already liking this set a lot. Let's hope it can live up to the high standard Innistrad has set.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Last time I played a game of this was before... I forget the name, but it had the double gear on the bottom right hand of card art, just about the description. I think this was in 2000? I haven't kept up with this game since then, as they basically banned the use of any card before 6th edition, and a lot of the cards after that were just a bit much to me.

Oh Vraska looks pretty fun, we'll probably see a lot of play out of her.

I kinda wanna build a B/G EDH now..

Deleted
    Really looking forward to finally usually proper lands again in standard, also chromatic lantern seems sick for constructed.

Plains walker is a bit expensive, 5 mana is alot, but it should be fun in limited at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Scavenge has synergy with Dredge because you want that card in your graveyard. Having a card mean something in the grave and not be "wasted" is why Scavenge and Dredge work so well together.
    I suppose you use Dredge to throw everything in the graveyard, then Scavenge it. Still seems like convoluted way to get a bunch of counters on the creatures you did manage to not mill.
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

I don't get these lands, at all. Giving up two life just so it doesn't come in tapped? The older set didn't require a sacrifice, it just required you have one basic land of either type. I'd rather they bring back the largely useless old Ravnica land set, which didn't accelerate your mana, unless you had some way to untap them (hello Tidewater Minion, my most used card from the set).

Then you never played it in any reanimator or even U/B Control (early in INN) in Standard or used it in EDH. While it isn't a 4 of type of card it sure did have a home in some decks.
    One of my standard decks is a reanimator deck. What I was going for wasn't seven is too much for me, seven is too much for fact or fiction and a creature. And blue is the only color I don't run in my reanimator.

I don't get these lands, at all. Giving up two life just so it doesn't come in tapped? The older set didn't require a sacrifice, it just required you have one basic land of either type. I'd rather they bring back the largely useless old Ravnica land set, which didn't accelerate your mana, unless you had some way to untap them (hello Tidewater Minion, my most used card from the set).
    The reason they are so good is because you can have a land come into play untapped that can give two colors without needing another card. If your deck is 2 or 3 colors and you have one drops of each then you need to make sure you have the mana needed to play your one drops. It makes a deck better because you will have less occurrences of hands where you don't hit your one drop and makes sure your curve flows more smoothly.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lorune View Post
    Really looking forward to finally usually proper lands again in standard, also chromatic lantern seems sick for constructed.

Plains walker is a bit expensive, 5 mana is alot, but it should be fun in limited at least
    Chromatic Lantern will most likely show up in Standard control decks and it is a must for almost every EDH deck with 3 or more colors. Definitely close to Coalition Relic for mana.

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 12:09 AM ----------

Here are the previews for today and I am loving them. Looks to be a cycle of rare "can't be countered" cards in RTR.

Supreme Verdict will easily go in my Amiracle Control. Abrupt Decay will easily go in my B/G zombies. Collective Blessing will be nice in limited and for EDH tokens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scavenge just keeps looking better and better, but I'm still waiting to see how populate works out. I'm glad they redid Niv-Mizzet http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...4&d=1346644944

Her ability now is badass, and given some mana ramp (for red at least), you can get her out quick and start drawing cards left and right while at least pinging your opponent.

Man, what's with all the can't be countered rares. Either way, these are some nice new additions. Can't wait for this set.

You and me both Theory.

Finally Ideal808 has preorders up and still cheaper than SCG. Some of the prices surprise me even more. Rakdos Return being more than $10 is rather odd. I figured $10 would be the highest it would go for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I misread populate. You can only copy a creature that is a token.

But, Think about it with Essence of the Wild. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=254133

Getting cheap 6/6's would be fun.

Actually, how does that work? You have Essence and another random creature token in play. You populate, and choose the token. Does Essence turn it into a copy of itself? I know you can just pick the Essence (so its ability doesn't really work as well as I thought at first with populate), but still.

Never mind, ignore me.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-07 at 03:01 AM.