Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baradur View Post
    The first ability isn't the reason to use it though, the populate for 2gw is the ability people will actually use Vitu Ghazi Guildmage for, it costs 1 more that Trostani's, and is reusable while Trostani's requires you to tap her.

Also, what is everyones thoughts on Rakdos, Lord of Riots?
    Rakdos right now is pretty average. Sure he is great in your opening hand, but he is a horrible top deck and he isn't very good after a board wipe, sure you could burn your opponent, but that just increases his cost and I am not sure how many people will want to use Flames of the Firebrand and Rakdos on the same turn, especially if that FotF will clear out a creature or two to make sure you can keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    OP, as are a couple other cards in the set. But, since a ton of cards just got spoilered, I figure I'll comment on a bunch of them.
    Desecration Demon: Wow. Unless you're playing against a token deck, prepare to kick some ass. Even keeping him under control makes him stronger, holy hell.
    Usually giving your opponent an option isn't very good. Right now he can go either way. I am leaning more towards being not played. I think Grinning Demon is better than this guy.

Goblin Rally, Guttersnipe, Lobber Crew: Yay more goblins. I don't see how they fit here, but I don't care, because goblins.
    As Ravnica is basically a huge melting pot of races it isn't odd to see them here.

Centaur's Herald: Huh. Not worth it. Best thought here, use him as a chump blocker, and sacrifice him before the damage goes through. Still though.
    Decent enough limited fodder that may see some standard use depending on how things go. Most of the time it will be used for a populate target.

Mana Bloom: Seems really odd. Green has much more efficient ways to generate mana.
    This one is actually pretty good. Turn 2 it is a Rampant Growth for ramp. Turn 3 it is a Cultivate. Sure it doesn't get cards out of your deck, but the fact that you can continue to use it makes it pretty damn good. You are technically not tapped out when you play it and it fixes your mana as well. If it sees play is the question, but I like it.

Azorius Charm: Great effect, except why would anybody choose to draw ONE card for two mana?
    Because you are not only going to be using it for the card draw. The reason why the charms are so good are because they can serve so many purposes. With Azorious Charm you will be putting creatures on the top of their deck, most of the time, which means their next card drawn will probably not be something they need to get ahead. The lifelink won't come into play often, but the card draw is just a back up plan when you have nothing to use the other effects on.

Counterflux: Ok, this is stack issue here. Countering every spell with one card is great, but I'm not seeing any situations where someone would care to have more than one spell on the stack. Two maybe, but this card really seems like another "only useful in multiplayer" card.
    I multiplayer card for sure, but the option gives it something, U/R anything will enjoy that the card won't be sniped from other control decks during a counter war.

Dreadbore: Am I missing something, or is this the first time we've seen a card that directly targets planeswalkers?
    Depends on how you look at it. Despise was the first have an effect that hit planeswalkers, but yet this is the first to say "target Planeswalker".

Essence Backlash: This seems like another case of Induce Paranoia. It sounds nice, but overall, there's no reason to save up four mana for a counterspell, especially one that only counters creatures.
    It is your classic 4 mana counter that does something else.

Hussar Patrol: Right now my favorite flyer in the deck. Good cost, good ability.
    Definitely a good limited creature.

Azor's Elocuters: I.....um...wow.
    Wow indeed, but it probably won't do much outside of limited.

Armada Wurm: Um, no. Not worth being a mythic rare.
    This is another case of giving it a rarity so it doesn't fuck with limited. This is basically Broodmate Dragon and Broodmate could have easily been mythic. I know I am going to hate a Bant deck where Restoration Angel saves this all day while using Cackling Counterpart on Angel for shenanigans.

There's also a lot of enchantments in this set. Possibility for a multi-colored deck with em. Righteous Authority being the leader of those. However, nothing in the set to get them back from the graveyard, so maybe not.
    Ravnica had a small enchantment sub-theme so we are seeing that part of it still. I like some of the land enchantments, especially the Phyrexia Arena one.

I am loving Deathrite Shaman, it is almost on par with Noble Hierarch.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Two cards left to spoil. One of them better be birds

Quote Originally Posted by Theory of Thaddeus View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't fit in the name and number crunch, of course there are still two sets we could see birds in.

Right now I am wondering where Trostani's spell is, every guild leader has it's own spell so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theory of Thaddeus View Post
    I could have swore they said that the signet set was going to be reprinted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could have swore they said that the signet set was going to be reprinted.
    They actually said the signets are too powerful for standard atm, same for mana leak. Was some time ago.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    They actually said the signets are too powerful for standard atm, same for mana leak. Was some time ago.
    Haha, no way those signets are too powerful. I don't see it.

Anyway, last two cards spoilered, and...they suck. Really, a 3/1 for 6 mana is pretty bad, no matter the ability. Has Hyppie's effect, but still. Not worth it. Conjured Currency, definitely not worth it. What happens when your opponent gets it? Then it's their choice on their upkeep, right? I never really understood who had the power of activated abilities on enchantments. Like Forced Worship. Can the controller of the enchanted creature activate its ability, or the owner, or both?

Have been doing a lot of drafts lately, mostly avacyn restored and Magic 2013. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat new to drafts and playing against long time veterans who've played it much more serious than me for a longer time. Usually when I ask for some pointers how to design an okay draft deck I'm told to go with 23 (24 if it's blue and/or red) spells, where 14-16 should be creatures. Anyone who have any good tricks or tips?

Oh well. There's always next set :/

That being said, I still look forward to this set a lot. Some nice new editions to my Reanimator deck.

Anyway, last two cards spoilered, and...they suck. Really, a 3/1 for 6 mana is pretty bad, no matter the ability. Has Hyppie's effect, but still. Not worth it. Conjured Currency, definitely not worth it. What happens when your opponent gets it? Then it's their choice on their upkeep, right? I never really understood who had the power of activated abilities on enchantments. Like Forced Worship. Can the controller of the enchanted creature activate its ability, or the owner, or both?
    They were not printed because, in limited, they were too powerful because of the cheap ramp and mana fixing and in constructed they were just at the power level where they didn't want them in because they completely negated greens ramp and every color had access to ramp for the same cost that green has it's normal ramp. So now we have the keyrunes which are about the same power level.

I will admit that the 3/1 for 6 is pretty horrible, but Conjured Currency is going to be useful in a Zedruu EDH deck, of course it is close to useless everywhere else.

---------- Post added 2012-09-19 at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ulvhedner View Post
    Have been doing a lot of drafts lately, mostly avacyn restored and Magic 2013. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat new to drafts and playing against long time veterans who've played it much more serious than me for a longer time. Usually when I ask for some pointers how to design an okay draft deck I'm told to go with 23 (24 if it's blue and/or red) spells, where 14-16 should be creatures. Anyone who have any good tricks or tips?
    Wish I could help you hear, the last draft I did was during Onslaught block. I did pretty damn well with B/G draft decks, but I haven't done it in so long that it would be difficult to say. You may be able to look up drafting tips on various Magic sites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulvhedner View Post
    I'm not really a master in limited myself, although I am focusing on improving my play atm. If you want tips, I would suggest watching videos of pro's drafting on websites like

http://www.channelfireball.com
    http://www.starcitygames.com

There are also some decent books around. ATM I'm reading "Next level magic" by Patrick Chapin (who was recently voted in the magic Hall of Fame) and it has a good section on draft.

Be sure to check out http://www.mtgsalvation.com as well, probably the most active forum for MTG.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deck ideas for standard are flowing through my head.

B/G, R/B, and Jund Zombies.
    Bant Control
    Bant Tokens
    Jund Control
    Amiracle Control

Too many ideas an not enough ink to print them all out, nor enough sleeves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Deck ideas for standard are flowing through my head.

B/G, R/B, and Jund Zombies.
    Bant Control
    Bant Tokens
    Jund Control
    Amiracle Control

Too many ideas an not enough ink to print them all out, nor enough sleeves.
    I have been testing out miracle control (straight up U/W, no red or green splash) and liking it so far. I'm a dedicated control player at heart, but atm I have no control deck. It felt good to play a deck with 0 creatures again

I will probably make a midrange jund deck as well, the modern version is awesome to play.

For the record, My decks

Standard: Elf wave, naya pod
    Modern: Jund, Aggro loam
    Legacy: Rug Delver, Maverick
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I have been testing out miracle control (straight up U/W, no red or green splash) and liking it so far. I'm a dedicated control player at heart, but atm I have no control deck. It felt good to play a deck with 0 creatures again

I will probably make a midrange jund deck as well, the modern version is awesome to play.

For the record, My decks

Standard: Elf wave, naya pod
    Modern: Jund, Aggro loam
    Legacy: Rug Delver, Maverick
    All I have are Standard decks, precons from old, and old Standard decks way back when. Modern and Legacy were always a little too expensive for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only play casual, so I have no idea about any of that. I have probably over 20 decks I play. I got quite a few ideas from Duels of the Planeswalker 2012, trying to emulate their decks. Did pretty good on the Kiora deck, and my mono black vampire deck works well, except it doesn't have a real kill button other than Blade of the Blood Chief, and I only have one. I was trying to work something with red for a deck with nothing but creatures that tap for damage. Prodigal Pyromancer type cards. Got quite a few, and even ordered three Kamahl's for a four set of those. Still didn't turn out too well. No mana ramp for one, and my favorite ramp red, Seething Song, is damned expensive.

Braid of Fire. I want em. Came out before mana burn went away, and now it has loads of possibilities. Fireblast maybe? "I tap all my mana, and then sacrifice two mountains for fireblast" "Ha, you're gonna kill all your mana" "I use my mana to play Braid of Fire" " Shit..."

Oh, and my question about Forced Worship earlier still stands. Who is allowed to activate its ability, the controller or the owner?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-21 at 08:28 PM.

I only play casual, so I have no idea about any of that. I have probably over 20 decks I play. I got quite a few ideas from Duels of the Planeswalker 2012, trying to emulate their decks. Did pretty good on the Kiora deck, and my mono black vampire deck works well, except it doesn't have a real kill button other than Blade of the Blood Chief, and I only have one. I was trying to work something with red for a deck with nothing but creatures that tap for damage. Prodigal Pyromancer type cards. Got quite a few, and even ordered three Kamahl's for a four set of those. Still didn't turn out too well. No mana ramp for one, and my favorite ramp red, Seething Song, is damned expensive.

Braid of Fire. I want em. Came out before mana burn went away, and now it has loads of possibilities. Fireblast maybe? "I tap all my mana, and then sacrifice two mountains for fireblast" "Ha, you're gonna kill all your mana" "I use my mana to play Braid of Fire" " Shit..."

Oh, and my question about Forced Worship earlier still stands. Who is allowed to activate its ability, the controller or the owner?
    Forced Worship can only be activated by the owner of Forced Worship, unless someone takes control of it. If it said "any player may play this ability" it would be different.

The reasoning was that they made mana fixing on turn 2 too easy, for a price of 2 colorless mana. That is why they made keystones more expensive.

Conjured Currency, definitely not worth it. What happens when your opponent gets it? Then it's their choice on their upkeep, right?
    Yup, but they cannot take back what you took from them. It is a really poor card...

I never really understood who had the power of activated abilities on enchantments. Like Forced Worship. Can the controller of the enchanted creature activate its ability, or the owner, or both?
    It's very simple, if it says that the enchanted creature "has" or "gains" the activated ability is granted to the creature. If it just has a regular ability like the one on forced worship, it is an activated ability of the enchant. In that case, you can return forced worship to your hand.

Seems as though some pro testing on Jace 4 is showing that he is better than most people thought. Will have to see how this version of him will do.

No "uncounterable" cycle in Gatecrash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Seems as though some pro testing on Jace 4 is showing that he is better than most people thought. Will have to see how this version of him will do.
    I'm really liking him in my miracle deck. I've only tested again zombies so far, but he shines in that matchup. The -2 ability is nuts and the +1 is very relevant against swarm strategies like zombies.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

1st prerelease was pretty meh, didn't pull anything worth while except for Loxodon Smiter, played G/B/W (picked Golgari), and left after the 3rd round because I was 1-2 already. All my matches ended up being based on some sort of luck every time, also because I only had 4 removal in my entire deck.