Page 17 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be doing EDH and Standard playstyles, as well as mostly casual play with my girlfriend. Playing against her I can test out new ideas, and see how certain things fair. I'm currently working on a populate/evolve deck. Trying to figure out if I wanna go straight G/U, or splash a third color in with some gates/shocklands for a few tricks. I figure keeping it simple would be the better way to go, it's just that I don't have a full playset of cards, so I may need to splash for now.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by rolo4804 View Post
    How do you determine Lazavs p/t after he copies a card? Does he take over their p/t, keep his 3/3, or does it become additive?

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 10:43 PM ----------

The way I'm thinking is he retains his 3/3, unless he copies a */* as those numbers are based off other things happening in the game. Example. Copying Dakkon would change him to hexproof and a */* based on # of lands.
    Copy effects include P/T. If you copy, say, a ravenous baloth, your lazav is a 4/4. If he copies a lord of extinction, he is a */* where * is the number of cards in your graveyard.

EDIT: Also, concerning the sleeves, does anyone know of a website that makes or sells custom sleeves? Or hell, anything out of the ordinary, I guess...
    Last edited by Snorkle; 2013-02-14 at 07:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ooo. Custom sleeves, now that I could see myself getting for my (future) main deck.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Ooo. Custom sleeves, now that I could see myself getting for my (future) main deck.
    Is there such a service available?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsanegirl View Post
    I was just commenting on the previous poster. I'm sure you could find it somewhere, but it would require a bulk order.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsanegirl View Post
    There is a little business on kickstarter that will print you a set for about $30, but I can't find the link at the moment

15+ Year Old Account
    Googled it myself. I believe this is the link you were talking about.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...t-card-sleeves

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 01:12 AM ----------

Hey maybe you guys could help me with refining an idea I had. I read an article on wizards (I think) from a couple years ago that talked about mana fixing and the problems that arise in getting the right amount of lands in a deck. The article gave some tips as pointers and either alternative methods for casual style or house rule games (or directed to a forum that did). It got me thinking about a house rule for my own casual games when I'm helping friends learn the game. The idea is pretty much to have 2 draw piles; one for lands as one for everything else. The land draw pile could be upside down like the library, or it could be a grab whatever you want to put down pile. You start the game like normal, drawing 7 cards, but it can be in any combination of either pile you want. The key is to put down whatever land you want on each turn and not have that random game (while learning) where you are mana dry for turns on end. Turn 1 and 2 are for color lands only (singles or multi), then on turn 3 you could start putting down non mana lands.

In essence you could start the game with 6 cards from your library and 1 of your choosing from your land pile. Turn 2, you can choose to draw from your library or the land pile, but only one (unless you come across a card that adds to your drawing of cards). The only hiccup to the plan I can see is a card like Mind Grind. If suggest drawing an avg 1.5 cards for each land needed to come across since the lands aren't in the library. I'd also want the pile to be randomized and upside down (if it wasn't already) so the player doesn't choose only basic land cards. Does anyone else see any glaring issues with this kind of setup?
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Played MTG when i was in fifth to ninth grade. This was back when judgement - scourge was the shit.

These new plainwalker cards confuse me.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    Played MTG when i was in fifth to ninth grade. This was back when judgement - scourge was the shit.

These new plainwalker cards confuse me.
    I had the same problem with them at first but if you see how they are played the first time you will get it. I quit back in Invasion after starting up around Revised then came back for Mirridon then quit after the first Ravinca then came back again about 2 months before the new ravinca.

Bought a fat pack the day of release. Pulled a Foil Aurelia, the Warleader, Lazav, Dimir Mastermind in the same pack, a Lord of the Void, Godless Shrine, happened upon a DOUBLE Boros Charm pack, and a few other nice rares.

I went ahead and preordered 4 of the Gatecrash Boros event decks, I need like 4 copies of every single rare in there, plus getting 8 more Boros Charms and Skullcracks is a huge plus.

I went ahead and also took apart 4 proxy decks and 4 throw together decks I made back during Conflux and Alara Reborn and saw I have 800 basic lands in my 1600 card box right now.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I had the same problem with them at first but if you see how they are played the first time you will get it. I quit back in Invasion after starting up around Revised then came back for Mirridon then quit after the first Ravinca then came back again about 2 months before the new ravinca.
    My friends and I spent at least an hour debating on the wording of Karn's ultimate. Apparently, they all thought that Karn came back on the field at the beginning of the game, with all the cards he exiled. I argued for awhile before we eventually gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    My friends and I spent at least an hour debating on the wording of Karn's ultimate. Apparently, they all thought that Karn came back on the field at the beginning of the game, with all the cards he exiled. I argued for awhile before we eventually gave up.
    Karn definitely does not come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Karn definitely does not come back.
    Yeah, that was when the card came out. They eventually came around. After that, they go to me for rulings before anything else.

Googled it myself. I believe this is the link you were talking about.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...t-card-sleeves

I play with KMC sleeves only. Usually Whites. Best Sleeves On Earth.

Hey maybe you guys could help me with refining an idea I had. I read an article on wizards (I think) from a couple years ago that talked about mana fixing and the problems that arise in getting the right amount of lands in a deck. The article gave some tips as pointers and either alternative methods for casual style or house rule games (or directed to a forum that did). It got me thinking about a house rule for my own casual games when I'm helping friends learn the game. The idea is pretty much to have 2 draw piles; one for lands as one for everything else. The land draw pile could be upside down like the library, or it could be a grab whatever you want to put down pile. You start the game like normal, drawing 7 cards, but it can be in any combination of either pile you want. The key is to put down whatever land you want on each turn and not have that random game (while learning) where you are mana dry for turns on end. Turn 1 and 2 are for color lands only (singles or multi), then on turn 3 you could start putting down non mana lands.

In essence you could start the game with 6 cards from your library and 1 of your choosing from your land pile. Turn 2, you can choose to draw from your library or the land pile, but only one (unless you come across a card that adds to your drawing of cards). The only hiccup to the plan I can see is a card like Mind Grind. If suggest drawing an avg 1.5 cards for each land needed to come across since the lands aren't in the library. I'd also want the pile to be randomized and upside down (if it wasn't already) so the player doesn't choose only basic land cards. Does anyone else see any glaring issues with this kind of setup?
    The main problem with your idea, is that there are other CCG games which already have rules like this, and while they are great at preventing land screw, they are not so great at preserving the integrity of the games overall mathematical design. Mana screw is a problem, but M:TG already has rules and tools to prevent it as much as possible:

1. Shuffling uniformly.

2. Mulligans.

3. Designing your deck properly to account for mana curve and the need for consistency.

Having played magic for the about 18 years now, it never ceases to amaze me at how many people shuffle their deck haphazardly, don't mulligan when they should/mulligan when they shouldn't, and/or just throw cards together and call it a deck.

Also, Magic reached a point long ago where the card design stopped printing 'bears,' or creatures that had no other function besides being a creature to attack block with. Now, every single creature has some sort of extra ability, and the cost of non creature utility spells has increased to make them slower in the game. I miss the days when the best cards in a format were one or two drops that were straightforward and did their job flawlessly.

That being said, my current deck builds are:

Vintage Atog Affinity.dec (budget, of course)
    Legacy Gifts.dec
    Legacy MbC.dec
    Modern Zombie Madness.dec
    Modern MuC.dec

Of course, I only play casually now, I haven't been involved in the T2 scene in a long time. It gets expensive, especially updating your card collection every 3 months to accommodate the changing format.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Wasn't trying to reinvent the game, just coming up with a way to limit land screw for my friends learning. I think I'll just stick to a pack wars type setup for that instead.

I don't really have the intention to keep up with T2 play past Dragons Maze. I'll have a decent collection at that point to be content for a while. I'd definitely e playing legacy if I could ever get my hands on my old collection, but I think that'll lost forever.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Yeah. Wasn't trying to reinvent the game, just coming up with a way to limit land screw for my friends learning. I think I'll just stick to a pack wars type setup for that instead.
    For newer players, it's going to be better for them to learn the things I discussed above. Teach them about good deck building techniques, and a great tool to do that are the duel decks they put out that are pre constructed with a theme. Get a set of those for $20 and then you can tear them apart and show them the mana curve and land distribution, along with other cards that help the deck along.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    For newer players, it's going to be better for them to learn the things I discussed above. Teach them about good deck building techniques, and a great tool to do that are the duel decks they put out that are pre constructed with a theme. Get a set of those for $20 and then you can tear them apart and show them the mana curve and land distribution, along with other cards that help the deck along.
    You know I never even thought about that.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

I am now waiting for this.

I am expecting Jace 2 showing up in this as it basically was THE card for one year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I am now waiting for this.

I am expecting Jace 2 showing up in this as it basically was THE card for one year.
    Is this the new reprints for modern I keep hearing about?