Page 18 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Is this the new reprints for modern I keep hearing about?
    You are thinking of Modern Masters coming out this summer, which is a set made for Modern.

From the Vault is usually a small collection of cards. They have done Dragons, Exiled (cards that have been banned or restricted), Realms (lands), Relics (artifacts), and Legends. This one will have 20 of the best cards that won many tournaments for every year that Magic has been out.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-02-18 at 12:34 PM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Can someone help me out to build an offensive white deck?

Or basically anything that's strong vs. Black/Green with a lot of monster destruction?

My friend found his very old edition 3 deck which he though he lost, and he's now pwning everything. I need to make an end to this :P

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

Or basically anything that's strong vs. Black/Green with a lot of monster destruction?

My friend found his very old edition 3 deck which he though he lost, and he's now pwning everything. I need to make an end to this :P
    Mirran Crusader is your best friend against those exact colors.

10+ Year Old Account

you could try something like this, which is a list by michael flores (writer at Starcitygames.com) which he played at a recent tournament.

http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=118390

thragtusk is very resilient to removal, especially if you have a restoration angel in hand, since you can just use the angel's ability to remove thragtusk from the game, which will counter their removal spell (doesn't work for sweepers like mutilate, of course, but then you at least get a token).

Garruk relentless is great against slower, grindy decks, since he's really hard to deal with. so is Big garruk.

The deck might be a bit expensive for casual play, but you can drop the cavern of souls for kitchen-table magic, which lowers the cost by 1/4th already.

You can see the deck in action here http://blip.tv/scglive/scgnj-std-rnd...giglio-6529450
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

440 € for a deck? Comon man, I am not Rockefeller.

What format are we talking, and what is your budget?

You can check out this thread for Modern format deck ideas on the cheap:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=429359

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    You are thinking of Modern Masters coming out this summer, which is a set made for Modern.

From the Vault is usually a small collection of cards. They have done Dragons, Exiled (cards that have been banned or restricted), Realms (lands), Relics (artifacts), and Legends. This one will have 20 of the best cards that won many tournaments for every year that Magic has been out.
    To what end? Sorry, I just started right after Innistrad release, so this is new to me. Will these be in standard or what?

To what end? Sorry, I just started right after Innistrad release, so this is new to me. Will these be in standard or what?
    The Vault sets are a collectors item, not really intended to be played in any format. The cards come with unique artwork and are foiled. Most of the sets contain cards which are legal in older formats, but I don't think anything they print for it will be standard legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    They take a bunch of random popular cards from the past, stick a Mythic Rare label on them, and throw em in an expensive set. For example, here's Exiled I beleive

Far as I know, they're not in any format, definitely not Standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. How interesting.

So I'm tempted to actually make an American Aggro deck. What do you guys think of this list?

Creature (28)
    4x Champion of the Parish
    4x Doomed Traveler
    4x Elgaud Shieldmate
    4x Invisible Stalker
    4x Kessig Malcontents
    4x Lightning Mauler
    2x Mikaeus, the Lunarch
    2x Restoration Angel

Land (22)
    4x Clifftop Retreat
    4x Glacial Fortress
    2x Island
    4x Mountain
    4x Plains
    4x Sulfur Falls

Instant (6)
    3x Cloudshift
    3x Dissipate

Sorcery (4)
    4x Gather the Townsfolk

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ameri...ns-19-02-13-1/

10+ Year Old Account
    I was trying to come up with things to challenge it, but it seems pretty solid. The deck does seem to hinge too much on Kessig Malcontents. There's not any way to buff Invisible Stalker without Mikaeus. But screw paying that much for a deck. That's why I hate the dual lands so much.

I think my first go at Modern will be either Merfolks or GW Hatebears. I look forward to going into a new format.

I've seen these cards over the years but haven't actually tried the hobby.

Is it better to start with a blue or black deck? I want to beat my friend's deck. I think it had zombies that come back to life or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    What format are we talking, and what is your budget?

You can check out this thread for Modern format deck ideas on the cheap:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=429359
    Nice, this is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster55 View Post

Is it better to start with a blue or black deck? I want to beat my friend's deck. I think it had zombies that come back to life or something.
    If I am correct in my assumption of what the deck is then you could go any number of ways.

Depending on what type of zombies he's playing (tokens vs creatures), there are specific cards that deal with each rather effectively. It's important to understand what each color brings to the game:

White - Purity, protection, and honor. Common themes are damage prevention, life gain, defensive creature buffs, first strike, spells that remove creatures from the game or pacify them. Many of white's creatures are small and many of their spells are preventative or reactionary.

Blue - Intelligence, manipulation, and deception. Common themes are counter magic, card draw, evasion, time magic, spells that return things to their owners hands or take control of them. Many of blue's creatures have mechanics to evade combat with other creatures and many of their spells are controlling.

Black - Death, decay, and malice. Common themes are graveyard recursion, life drain, discard, creature destruction, regeneration, spells that trade life for effects. Many of black's creatures have mechanics to withstand combat or come back after death and many of their spells are destructive.

Red - Chaos, hostility, and destruction. Common themes are fast creatures, land destruction, randomness, spells that burn creatures and/or players. Many of red's creatures have mechanics that allow them to trade with bigger/more expensive creatures in combat, and many of their spells are chaotic.

Green - Life, nature, and renewal. Common themes are big creatures, mana acceleration, life gain, regeneration, spells that buff creatures. Many of green's creatures are big for their mana costs, while many of their spells are proactive.

Artifacts blend all these themes together in a less efficient/more expensive manner than any of the other colors are able to do, but also present some of the best combo cards in the game.

Now, having said all that, a zombie deck is a tribal deck, or a deck that gains benefits for having an abundance of a specific creature type in play. These types of decks are incredibly weak against creature removal, particularly mass removal. The good news is you don't have to play any specific color to have strong answers to a tribal deck, pretty much all colors have great answers to tribalism. You would want to play a control deck, and you can even build it around multiple colors in order to gain benefits from other colors.

I have no idea what format you're playing, but here is a general deck archetype that would work against a tribal deck:

Mono black Control - Uses hand discard cards like Duress, Ravenous Rats, and Mind Rot, in conjunction with cheap spot removal such as Grasp of Darkness, Sorin's Thirst, and Geth's Verdict to control what the opponent can play/has in play. It then backs up those tools with cheap, yet powerful creatures like Nantuko Shade, Hypnotic Specter, and Vampire Nighthawk to finish strong.

Other variants involve mass removal such as Mutilate, Death Cloud, or Damnation in conjunction with cards that can become creatures temporarily like Guardian Idol and Phyrexian Totem, in order to keep their board clear while your 'creatures' come through and beat face. Add in a few card advantage spells like Sign In Blood or Phyrexian Arena, and you have a deck that can win against most match ups.

Good Luck.

I think my first go at Modern will be either Merfolks or GW Hatebears. I look forward to going into a new format.
    Check out the link I posted earlier for some budget modern deck ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah tribal decks aren't in the best place right now, which sucks because I find myself having 5 decks with 3 of them being humans/angels and a 4th one being all goblins. Then my 5th deck is a really shitty Dimir mill. And the Dimir deck is about to be replaced with a vampire deck, so I will literally be running 5/5 tribal decks.

Yeah tribal decks aren't in the best place right now, which sucks because I find myself having 5 decks with 3 of them being humans/angels and a 4th one being all goblins. Then my 5th deck is a really shitty Dimir mill. And the Dimir deck is about to be replaced with a vampire deck, so I will literally be running 5/5 tribal decks.
    Naya humans is a pretty good deck right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    440 € for a deck? Comon man, I am not Rockefeller.
    You could make the deck a lot cheaper by removing the cavern of souls and switching some of the more expensive cards out for cheaper alternatives that are not in standard. Also, that website is from a professional card dealer, so the prices there are more expensive than from players. you could get that deck (minus the caverns) for about 150-180.

If you're looking for a cheaper kitchen-table deck, you might want to look at green/black aggro.

I used to play one like these in standard, fairly similar to this one:

Creatures (26)

4 Arbor Elf (might want to switch for llanowar elves)
    3 Deadbridge Goliath
    3 Dreg Mangler
    4 Lotleth Troll*
    4 Predator Ooze
    3 Strangleroot Geist
    3 Ulvenwald Tracker
    2 Wolfir Avenger

Planeswalkers (3)

2 Garruk Relentless*
    1 Garruk, Primal Hunter*

Lands (23)

11 Forest
    1 Swamp
    3 Golgari Guildgate
    4 Overgrown Tomb*
    4 Woodland Cemetery

Spells (8)

4 Rancor
    1 Tragic Slip
    3 Ultimate Price

Sideboard
    3 Deathrite Shaman*
    2 Ranger's Guile
    2 Tragic Slip
    1 Garruk, Primal Hunter*
    1 Appetite for Brains
    4 Duress
    2 Sever the Bloodline

If you switch out the cards marked with an asterisk, you could get the deck for 40-50 dollars. It's very resilient to mass removal, since most of your creatures have either scavenge or undying. Also, predator ooze is a beast against some decks
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The reason why tribal decks aren't a very strong deck type is the same reason why building a deck around one theme (like burn spells, discard spells, life gain, ect), are not strong deck types. Every deck needs multiple win conditions and versatility. Tribal decks tend to focus on creature synergy and not really much else. There have been exceptions in the past, such as elves, goblins, and slivers, but for the most part, you want to pick an actual deck archetype to build, and only use creatures that work well in it.

For instance, if your tribal deck is supposed to be a stompy aggro deck, then you should cut out a lot of the creatures and replace them with spot removal and other tempo cards.