Thread: So far so good

So far so good

Been levelling at a slow pace (currently lvl 26 after 1 week) and so far I am absolutely loving the game, so much that I even cancelled all my other game subs, because this one is the only I really want to play.

It remains to be seen if this will last. A few things I need to check

- How much fun will it be to do dungeons with friends in story and explorable mode.
    - When reaching level 80, what will happen in terms of bigger groups, fighting bosses in the world, etc
    - PvP

But it all looks very promising. And for me, it's for 1 main reason: Content is challenging as hell, almost every single bit of it. And i love it.

Just how many game subs did you have?
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Glad to hear, welcome to the fold, please leave your soul etc etc etc at the counter and yes you do get it back when you leave..perhaps a lil bit scared but you get it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I hadn't been dumb and gone in on the WoW annual pass, I'd be in the same boat.

As is, I haven't even felt the slightest inkling to play other video games. My only complaint so far is that 5 character slots is just so few. Compared to WoW, which let us have 10 characters per server, up to 50 across all servers, 5 is like being on your last bottle of water in the middle of the Altitis Desert.

I figure I can buy another character slot in a month or two and explain it away as "But I didn't have to pay a subscription fee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Just dont want to create a flame war between guild wars fans and for example WoW fans I only had a WoW subscription (also had a SWTOR one a few months ago), but the fact is that this game is much better for me now than WoW.

Anyway, this is a marathon and not a sprint. If the 2 games did a sprint race now, GW2 would win it for me, but in the long run, WoW has done A LOT more than GW2 has done, and only time will tell if it will stay up there or fall behind WoW like all the others (not talking on amount of customers, but in quality from my perspective).

I think that eventually I will resub WoW and play it together with Guild wars 2, but for now, WoW isn't compelling for me at all.

EDIT: yeah i know, I said the acronym "WoW" a lot. Apologies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaenroh View Post
    I figure I can buy another character slot in a month or two and explain it away as "But I didn't have to pay a subscription fee!"
    Its like 3.5gold to buy one if you trade for gems. not that hard to save up for tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Glad to hear, welcome to the fold, please leave your soul etc etc etc at the counter and yes you do get it back when you leave..perhaps a lil bit scared but you get it back.
    Actually i feel GW2 is a lot more adaptable to my playtimes than WoW, and this means I will get to keep my soul (although corrupted and constantly asking me to login).

Deleted
    If I hadn't been dumb and gone in on the WoW annual pass, I'd be in the same boat.

As is, I haven't even felt the slightest inkling to play other video games. My only complaint so far is that 5 character slots is just so few. Compared to WoW, which let us have 10 characters per server, up to 50 across all servers, 5 is like being on your last bottle of water in the middle of the Altitis Desert.

Well, in my opinion the character system is handled so differently that the WoW system and the GW2 system can't really be compared.

On one hand, WoW allows for more characters straight away, but with a ceiling that you're not able to pass even if you're willing to pay a one-time fee for it, that being 10 per server and 50 per account. You're able to double the ceiling if you double your subscription fee. Additionally each character is bound to a single server, and requires a hefty cash payment to rebind - per each individual character.

On the other hand, GW2 has less character slots out of the box, but you're able to acquire more by paying for them (is there a confirmed cap yet?). You're again able to double the ceiling if you spend money on it, but in this case it's a one-time cost as opposed to a continuous payment increase (and it's actually cheaper to buy a new copy than buying additional slots, if you know you want at least five more characters). Finally, all characters move as one if you choose to change the home server, but they aren't actually restricted to any single server for any purpose outside W^3 - essentially having free temporary character transfers.

All in all, so different that they're hardly comparable. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    and it's actually cheaper to buy a new copy than buying additional slots, if you know you want at least five more characters
    Ha. I hadn't even thought of that. Actually, that would also let me mail stuff between the characters on the two accounts... You and your logic, Jigain. You and your logic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurathansal View Post
    Been levelling at a slow pace (currently lvl 26 after 1 week) and so far I am absolutely loving the game, so much that I even cancelled all my other game subs, because this one is the only I really want to play.

It remains to be seen if this will last. A few things I need to check

- How much fun will it be to do dungeons with friends in story and explorable mode.
    - When reaching level 80, what will happen in terms of bigger groups, fighting bosses in the world, etc
    - PvP

But it all looks very promising. And for me, it's for 1 main reason: Content is challenging as hell, almost every single bit of it. And i love it.
    You are going to have a LOT of fun with your friends in story and explorable mode dungeons. If you like a challenge and have a group of friends to play with the dungeons are in my opinion, by far the most fun part of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    You are going to have a LOT of fun with your friends in story and explorable mode dungeons. If you like a challenge and have a group of friends to play with the dungeons are in my opinion, by far the most fun part of the game
    Yeah, I am hoping for it a LOT. Today i get to 30 and first dungeon

Deleted
    Ha. I hadn't even thought of that. Actually, that would also let me mail stuff between the characters on the two accounts... You and your logic, Jigain. You and your logic.
    I know. People don't like to hear it sometimes, but it's nice when people actually appreciate it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I know. People don't like to hear it sometimes, but it's nice when people actually appreciate it.
    Five more chars are even beyond my Altitis. I was thinking of 2 more to roll necro and warrior, since i don't like mesmers. But your logic remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    And frustrating...just did Twilight Arbor story last night...we were like "Oh wow this is easy" and then we hit the wall - damn poison cloud exploding spiders boss, then the final boss who summoned Rytlock and Zoija/the others, and we got facerolled a time or two before we figured out how to handle them - even some of the trash pulls with initiates surprised us. I'm looking forward to explorable on these later when my group has 'better gear' and more experience dealing with this stuff. I love seeing "Evaded", makes me feel so good, hahaha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydorf View Post
    Five more chars are even beyond my Altitis. I was thinking of 2 more to roll necro and warrior, since i don't like mesmers. But your logic remains.
    I'm up to six at the moment, and I haven't made my seventh yet - I know I want that many at least. Depending on whether I was to give the Guardian another chance or not, might go for the full eight. But so far, buying individual slots has been cheaper for me personally (€20 * 2 = €40 versus €55).

If you have just the five and you know for a fact you want eight slots or more, however, two accounts would be cheaper (€55 * 2 = €110 versus €55 + €20 * 3 = €115).

It's certainly food for thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Having several subs aren't that rare among those of us that really like mmorpg's.

My current subs:
    Lord of the Rings Online (Lifetime)
    The Secret World (Lifetime)
    City of Heroes (soon to shut down )
    Warhammer Online
    Rift
    Tera
    Aion
    Star Trek Online

And 3 WoW accounts.

Do I have time for them all? Sure.
    Your kind of time? No. My kind of time. I'm a casual player. Mostly.