Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Honestly the situation of someone pretending to be you on an alt and getting an invite and looting the guild bank can happen in any mmo that has a guild bank type feature.
    This times 100. You don't even have legacy names in other games. In fact, the people complaining about this and security should be praising this game's sytem for the exact opposite of what you are trying to say. You get ONE free legacy change. After that, you have to have a new account/new characters on a new server and level high enough on one of them to unlock legacy in the first place.

So you are telling me that we should be freaking out that people are going to use this ONE time service to start a Fraud ring in order to loot every Gbank on their server? With their army of 100 criminal cohorts along with them? Give me a break.

It's easier to pretend to be someone else in just about every other game. Guild Wars 2 is the only one currently where it is not possible at all, since you show up as your account name no matter what toon you are on.

Added this bit to the OP:
    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    We're getting this added into the notes right now! I can confirm that, yes, the event outfits are now bind on Legacy.

(Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Added this bit to the OP:
    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    We're getting this added into the notes right now! I can confirm that, yes, the event outfits are now bind on Legacy.

(Source)
    I am excited about this!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I am excited about this!
    You must be a RL Larper

I think transitioning just about everything to be account bound is a solid way to reward players these days. I thnk the notion that anything is bind to your character is outdated. I'm not trying to keep harping on other games, but a recent release has where you share the same bank between your characters. Granted, in that game the bank is far too small, but you get the idea.

You should be able to freely transfer gear between characters. I don't agree with Blizz's mentality where you can't use points to buy gear for your alts. If you earned something, you should be able to reward any of your characters for those efforts.

I'm glad to see SWTOR is verging on that ideal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like that too, Kitty.

I have Legacy gear that I threw a bunch of Campaign armorings and mods in and gave it to an alt. So now from working on my main, my alt is nearly Best in Slot.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Legacy names no longer unique is one of the dumbest changes ever.
    With the merging of servers in the past and possible ones in the future this was bound to happen. Mix in the accounts that aren't active and names taken unless ppl get really creative down the road there wouldn't have been many options.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    This is going to happen. You can bet on it. As it is in another game a play, the guild I am in has a very open recruitment policy. We are casual and will invite just about anyone, then kick them later if they are an ass. However, every time I invite someone, or see someone invited, the first thing they do 9/10 is run and check the guild bank. I can stand by the bank upon invite and see it happen. 1 of 3 things normally happens at that point. 1) They see they have no access to withdraw and /gquit. 2) They see they have no access to withdraw and start asking for stuff. 3) Nothing.

Now, they can look at it, see if they see anything they like, keep an eye on the guild and pick an active player. Copy his legacy name on a f2p account and get an invite to the guild, promoted, and loot the bank. They just have to wait for you to log off, then log on with their char that has your legacy name and pretend to be you. This has the potential to create quite the mess.

The worst part is, those of you so attached to a name are sitting here defending a system so easily open to abuse.

This is just one more example that shows BW has no idea what they are doing. Too many servers in the start was the first. Then a botched "forced" transfer system that did not handle who got to keep names well to try to fix that problem. Now this to try and fix the name problem. What are they going to do to "fix" the problems this causes?

Now, all that said, I am still thinking about coming back the check the game out once it goes f2p, however, Rifts Expansion is coming out Nov 13th, so I may not have the time. I still think the game had a lot of potential too. They just lacked the experience in MMOs to make a AAA title like this one. I wish them well, but just don't see it happening, especially with them continuing to make decisions like this, that go back on what they already did and do not consider easily seen consequences.
    You have to finish act one to make a legacy, I hardly think stealing an item from a guild would be worth the time. I have yet to see anyone post here who's guild actually pays attention to legacy names. The no longer unique legacy names in now a known feature, no slightly competent guild leader is going to give full access to someone just based on their legacy name. Is it that hard to just have someone confirm an alt through their main or have them log into mumble? I still stand by this as being a great decision. If any guild falls for this nightmare scenario they are run by morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    You have to finish act one to make a legacy, I hardly think stealing an item from a guild would be worth the time. I have yet to see anyone post here who's guild actually pays attention to legacy names. The no longer unique legacy names in now a known feature, no slightly competent guild leader is going to give full access to someone just based on their legacy name. Is it that hard to just have someone confirm an alt through their main or have them log into mumble? I still stand by this as being a great decision. If any guild falls for this nightmare scenario they are run by morons.
    While I won't use the same choice of words, I do agree. If people are basing everything off of Legacy names- there is something odd there. Most people in my own guild hardly know each others Legacy. We SURE as hell won't give a high rank to someone who claims to be an alt without evidence.

I don't know a single person who uses their Legacy Name as a dignifer over their character name. I am on Jung Ma, and RP-PvP server. I am an active witness of both RP, PvP, and PvE. Legacy Names are never an ID in any of those areas of content I have taken part in. Character Name is the only one I've seen used. Ever. Walking by a Cantina I've never even "Hey, Skywalker!" It's ALWAYS been "Hey, Luke!" I'm not saying that nobody uses their Legacy Name like a first name, but I imagine it's an extremely small fraction.

Its a simple system that we used in my old guild. The main toon will be gaining rank and the privileges while the alts are put into "alt" rank with limited bank access, with just a note saying whom the alt belongs to. Removes any risk of the aforementioned situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karumayu View Post
    Its a simple system that we used in my old guild. The main toon will be gaining rank and the privileges while the alts are put into "alt" rank with limited bank access, with just a note saying whom the alt belongs to. Removes any risk of the aforementioned situation.
    I think that is how most guilds do it. Alts are usually classified by the characters name- not Legacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alt was the default rank for us (so just about anyone could recruit), and they had no bank access other than deposit. Only Mains could withdraw, so we knew which players were taking what, and only Officers could promote someone to a Main.

I saw someone spamming "I'm (high ranked player)'s alt from (decent guild from our origin server-MISSPELLED) could someone invite me?" the other day and just had to laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw someone spamming "I'm (high ranked player)'s alt from (decent guild from our origin server-MISSPELLED) could someone invite me?" the other day and just had to laugh.
    Haha, I had someone messaging me in-game today claiming to be the alt of someone from MY guild and all I could do was just shake my head. I was on vent with the person he was claiming to be.