Minimum level of graphics card needed to play WoW decently?

Just kinda curious, in terms of minimums, what's the lowest quality/tech graphics card you can use and still get medium-high or so on WoW? I mean, obviously WoW runs on toasters (I should know, this 3 year old laptop still plays it on low with 50-60 fps in 10s), but at the same time getting some like a GTX 680 is overkilling it probably unless you run it on the highest setting on some widescreen setting. So yeah, for your more average consumer, about how old/low of a graphics card can you get and still get decent performance relatively speaking?

Built a budget pc for a friend and used an old 5770 and it ran wow on high settings great in 10s and ok in 25s.

Wow is WAY more processor heavy than GPU heavy, I'd start with getting the CPU and Ram lined up then going with whatever card you can afford after that.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Built a budget pc for a friend and used an old 5770 and it ran wow on high settings great in 10s and ok in 25s.

Wow is WAY more processor heavy than GPU heavy, I'd start with getting the CPU and Ram lined up then going with whatever card you can afford after that.
    ^^
    I also built a PC over a year ago with a PII 965BE and a ATI/AMD 5770 and ran High with some Ultra at steady FPS unless it was a 25 man or a BG heavy on effects. (I went and upgraded to a Sapphire 6950 mostly for other games.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running an xfx 5770 in my rig and it plays on High in 25's getting me 45-60 fps consistently
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

It's hard to find a new 5770. What's your price range

10+ Year Old Account
    I just gave my friend a 420 and he's been able to kick most of the settings up to High (even some to Ultra) and still raid somewhere over 45FPS. Considering he was using an 8800 GTX @low settings before this, he's pretty stoked lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    The graphics card I had before I bought my last one, was the stock gpu that came in a run of the mill dell desktop (bought in 2006) played wow just fine.

The game cares a lot more about your CPU than GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I just gave my friend a 420 and he's been able to kick most of the settings up to High (even some to Ultra) and still raid somewhere over 45FPS. Considering he was using an 8800 GTX @low settings before this, he's pretty stoked lol.
    Wtf. 8800 GTX is stronger DX9 card than a 420. There no way he was playing at low seting on a 8800 GTX. That can play wow@ultra in dx9 with ease

Thanks for the replies guys, about the main thing I know is that integrated = bad, so I've been steering clear of anything like that. That being said, I think I've been overlooking what my needs probably are in terms of the gaming performance I need vs cost and such, so thanks for giving me a good comparison to go by!

WoW literally requires a gaming gpu from the moment the game was released til now. So anything that is 128bit+ and meant for gaming will likely play wow fine @ decent~ settings.

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 12:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, about the main thing I know is that integrated = bad, so I've been steering clear of anything like that. That being said, I think I've been overlooking what my needs probably are in terms of the gaming performance I need vs cost and such, so thanks for giving me a good comparison to go by!
    You will have to spend around $100 usd for a gaming gpu that isnt used. Try a 7770 or 6850.

Most people dont understand it depends on your monitors resolution.

1680x1050= A gt 240 will suffice for high settings. 5770/6770 should be able to pull off ultra here.

1920x1080= I wouldnt go anything less than a gtx 460/radeon 6850 for this resolution.

But as usual it probably comes down to money for most people, if you can find a gtx 460 refurb for around 100 dollars that is going to be the most bang for your buck today. Otherwise this GTX 560 is 135.00 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127593

It's not just the case of resolution either. Although it is one of the most important factors, people often underrate just what kind of thing they're doing in-game. The OP suggested 10's raiding, which sounds about right for a typical laptop's resolution.

For example, it's safe to say that if you're doing 10mans, you could go easy with the GPU and settle with a GTX 560 which should be more than enough. However, come 25mans or even when MOP launches in congested places, it'll start showing clear signs that the game will still be quite demanding, assuming you're running it on high/ultra settings (if you're planning on lower settings, then that should relieve some stress too).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 13 inch 2012 macbook pro with just the onboard intel HD 4000 graphics and i have everything set on medium or high (besides shadows, water, and sunshafts). I cap the Fps at 35 though to keep the computer cool. When i don't cap it the FPS is in 50-60 range.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

So I don't really like bumping, but I was wondering how well OEM cards like the Radeon 7670, 7570, and 7450 fare in terms of ability in playing WoW?

So...anyone know about the 3 I asked about? Was also wondering about the GT640 too.