Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror

pros and cons from a noob GW2 player

heres my take on my GW2 experience so far. obvioulsy a lot of it is subjective and people may see things differently.

Pros
    • good fun PVE and PVP
    • great gfx
    • living environment, wolves killing boars etc
    • awesome underwater, it looks and feels amazing
    • fun combat mechanics, feels a lot more "3d" than a typical mmo with all the dodging and combat manouvers
    • exploration. ive never played an MMO where you go over a hill say or come out a forrest and whole new vista unfolds before you. just incredible.
    • no subscription

cons
    • race choice is a bit limited. i dont like the rat people, chars imo failry ugly, norn are just big dumb humans, sylvari are just too planty for me. humans only decent looking race.
    • needs more evil and darkness. my thief just looks and sounds so squeeky clean.
    • WvWvW feels a bit zergy but id guess thats more down to people not having it worked out yet.

therefore id say the pros massively outweigh the cons. im ignoring bugs etc as ive not had many and it is a new game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are Norn considered dumb? I don't play one but can't they become spell casters as well? If so they can't be THAT stupid.

Sylvari are my favorite race though, humans look cute but I prefer blue skin. :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Why are Norn considered dumb? I don't play one but can't they become spell casters as well? If so they can't be THAT stupid.

Sylvari are my favorite race though, humans look cute but I prefer blue skin. :<
    Norns aren't dumb, they just feel that way because they're big, fat, and they're pretty goofy while running (males)

They're awesome though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    In all fairness... so can skritt... :P

Deleted
    but skritt are smart

in bigger numbers

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Norns aren't dumb, they just feel that way because they're big, fat, and they're pretty goofy while running (males)

They're awesome though
    My Male Norn Warrior looks bad ass. I don't think they run goofy though, but that's personal opinion, looks pretty normal to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    My Male Norn Warrior looks bad ass. I don't think they run goofy though, but that's personal opinion, looks pretty normal to me.
    Norns to me are just big humans, no real creativity. It would be cool if they were made of stone or something...It is just I think they could have made norn by just making the humans larger and such.

I would really like to see a fantasy game where there are no humans or human like things, would be interesting.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't know GW2 lore. You can't just say : I wish Norn were made of stone. Its like saying you wish gnomes had eye beam in WoW. It doesn't make sense.
    You should go check out the GW2 wiki, the lore is pretty fun to read.

Now, for me the pros of this game are really nice. Im lvl 60 and im having a blast going into lower level zones to get all these Points of interest and vistas/quests. Its a blast and the new lore placed on the old one matchs quite nicely. I recall every zone from the first GW and when i recall the names of area's and NPC's, added on top of the graphics makes up for a nice game.
    Last edited by Cairm; 2012-09-05 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Norns to me are just big humans, no real creativity. It would be cool if they were made of stone or something...It is just I think they could have made norn by just making the humans larger and such.

I would really like to see a fantasy game where there are no humans or human like things, would be interesting.
    Dwarves in the Guild Wars universe are currently pretty much made of stone. Also, the Humans you see in the game are actually aliens from another planet (well, at least their ancestors were). There are also some races that exist in the universe that you don't meet in GW2 (maybe later ?). It's also very likely that Tengu (which are basically birds) will become a playable race in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    In all fairness... so can skritt... :P
    Shinies, so many shinies! Go away they're mine!

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post

Could be interesting but it would be hard to pull off without alienating a lot of the playerbase. The human archetype is usually pretty cliche but it's one a lot of people identify with, being.. human and all. Their stories usually involve some sort of betrayal (here it's the silence from their gods) or relentless attack from some ominous threat. Yet they always rise to the occassion and endure as a proud race, overcoming said challenges by way of the "human spirit." A lot of people identify with this and makes for massive rp appeal. Doubt the cliched human race will be absent from any fantasy genre anytime soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    [*]needs more evil and darkness. my thief just looks and sounds so squeeky clean.
    I absolutely agree with this point. I made the most ferocious Necromancer (Necro's being as evil as you can get) male Sylvari I could and it annoys me beyond belief at how camp and pathetic he sounds in dialect. I assume above all he still follows the sylvari ways, despite battling undead... with undead :P

But for the sake of GW2 being so awesome, I'm willing to let that fly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I suppose it's just a matter of taste, your cons didn't bother me much. However, my biggest one (and I seriously hope it gets added soon because I REALLY WANT IT) is a hairdresser
    ^^ This, the game allows for such crazy flexibility with armor dyes/skins and yet we're stuck with the hair we selected at the start.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of the PvP myself, it's still quite laggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Necromancers in the GW universe aren't considered evil.
    I'm really surprised that people keep making this mistake, especially considering a Necromancer is one of the main good guys in the personal story quests. Being on an RP server, it's quite interesting, to say the least.

Your cons are completely subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    • needs more evil and darkness. my thief just looks and sounds so squeeky clean.
    You haven't been to Orr yet, have you?

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't be so quick to jump on the "OP's cons are all subjective."

His second two points I've heard a few times before. Some people don't like that you don't have "darker" or "evil" choices or characters. Granted, I haven't heard that argument much, but its something that's far from invalid. As for WvW, who ever does NOT think it's a zerg v zerg fest has never done it. This, like his first point, are completely subjective. Some people, like me. LOVE the Norn. I don't see them as "big and dumb." I see them as an old-Scandinavian, passionate, fun race. Does that make OP any less right? Well, maybe yes, maybe no. I suggest you play some of the other races before writing them off OP. You might find that you enjoy the big dumb race, or the "little rat race."

Also, pro tip OP.... don't let Mif hear you call the Asura that. You've been warned. :P
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

I agree for the most part, except races did not bother me, and I do not PvP so I can't tell about how zergy WvWvW is. I guess I should give it a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    There IS far too much similarity between the female Norn and female Humans, it's undeniable. The males are easy enough to tell apart because Norn males are basically bulldozers on legs, but you can make the females look almost identical with enough tweaks (max height on human, min height on norn, same facial expression/hair color/etc).

Hell I can't tell norn and human females apart period. They're both way taller than me (asura FTW) so unless they're standing beside each other it's impossible to tell them apart, especially with armor on.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-09-05 at 06:11 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze