Poll: Would you play a hunter class, without a pet?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Would you wanna play a class almost exactly like the hunter, without the pet?

Does having a pet sometimes annoy you, or do you think it adds a certain "feel"?
    Last edited by mmoc3e0efa8d7a; 2012-09-10 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, would love something like grimore of sac that warlocs got, discard pet and do more dmg with shots <3

Deleted
    would be good on those fights that can get glitchy with pets, but then I would just settle for a ranged pet to avoid all the pathing issues and such.

I actually made a post similar to this, asking if people would like a talent similar to warlocks, remove a pet for a damage buff etc.. it was met with mixed results, mostly people wanted it as an OPTION, but ofc, not wanting pets removed all together!

im too lazy to go through my post history :P but yeah

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but that's basically playing a ranged rogue, as that's more or less what we are now, with a pet

10+ Year Old Account
    I might not enjoy the pet at times... but when I don't I usually play my destro warlock... I sacrafice my pet... cast spells to generate a resource (kinda like steady shot regenerating focus) and spend that resource to deal heavy damage (kinda like spending focus). There are lots of ranged damage dealers out there. The damage may not be physical but that seems like a poor argument to me.

The only times I liked the pet as hunter was pulling mobs from afar/that I couldn't see any those pet talents protecting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Clicked yes, but actually I mean: hunter could have one specc where no pet is used.

I like pets, but I like options more... sometimes I want to play my hunter without a pet, more focus on traps etc for example.

Guerilla Survival hunter!
    Allthough MM obviously is a good candidate too.

Deleted
    I do like the idea of a Ranger Class, in my old D&D days I played a ranger so would be for nostalgia sake

Deleted
    Been a wile since I've played a hunter but nowdays I would rather have something without pet. alot of things went better in their mechanics but they dont feel unique or special anymore. Hunter should have a bigger emphasis with nature, wilderness and animal communion to get me to play them again. something like call upon a herd of frenzied bulls, have assistance from birds dazing your foes, interaction/dialogs with the wildlife of azeroth, anything that makes me feel like I actualy have empathy with animals =)

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I like my pets, and i wouldn't part with them.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Let's make it a bit simpler than reworking the entire class, or even worse: creating a new one!

As SV my pet is a utility thing, hardly a damaging beast.
    In pvp even much more so, it hardly can be kept on the target since it would die too fast and leave me without the utility I need.

So a few changes, rather easy to implement:

1. Master's Call and Roar of Sacrifice can be easily turned into petless abilities. Heck, it would even make them more reliable to use in pvp.

2. when not using a pet, a hunter can pick out of say... 5 abilities or so:
    - a web
    - a pummel
    - a disarm
    - a blind
    - a small stun

3. Murder of crows does double damage if used without a pet it also disables you from summoning a pet for 2 minutes (MoC cd itself) and till out of combat again.

4. Make spirit bond active if no pet as well

Give me these 4 and as SV I would play without my pet actually.

No reason to make it complicated. Just make it a talent so every spec can choose whether or not to have it, like warlocks

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, asking if I would play without pets is like asking if I would play without ranged weapons. It's a huge part of the class and why a chose to be a hunter in the first place. I just wish they went back to the RPG roots what with pet happiness and loyalty level etc. I really enjoyed that and having a happy, level 6 'best friend' as my pet was awesome.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenks3 View Post
    No reason to make it complicated. Just make it a talent so every spec can choose whether or not to have it, like warlocks
    than what about Master's Call or roar of sacrifice?
    And the other pet utility?

Hunters rely for rather a lot on having a living pet in pvp, not just what the pet brings itself.

I have a few hunter characters. some would feel cooler if they didn't have to have a pet. sometimes I want to play a pure archer: no pets, just bow and arrows.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    To me, asking if I would play without pets is like asking if I would play without ranged weapons. It's a huge part of the class and why a chose to be a hunter in the first place. I just wish they went back to the RPG roots what with pet happiness and loyalty level etc. I really enjoyed that and having a happy, level 6 'best friend' as my pet was awesome.
    no one asks to change that.
    Warlocks are about demons too after all. They got an option, without taking it away from the class as a whole.

Why are you afraid if hunters would get that same option, without taking it away from the class as a whole?
    You're not losing anything by this change. Not a single pet related feature would change.

Mind you: I like pets and like taming them. Hunting rares has been a hobby since Vanilla, as well as retaming different colors etc to match my changing gear. I even did that when we had to level our pets...

But yes: I would really like the option to play without a pet too, without losing my pets as such for my first specc.
    Last edited by Kimbald; 2012-09-06 at 07:43 PM.

I play a hunter for the ranger aspect, not for the pet aspect. I typically find pets to be no more than a nuisance to maximizing myself in a raid environment (when bugs/poor pathing/etc. come into play, not simple target switching/general pet management). So absolutely, yes. But they would never 1. remove pets from the current hunter class, as many DO like them, or 2. make another "ranger" class, without a pet - they'd just be far too similar to hunters. So, for this particular game, the "ranger" class it seems is forever stuck with a pet. Unless they decide to make one petless spec - I'd say this is the most probable of all of the above, but still very unlikely. And even in such a case, if spec-balance were to make that spec sub-optimal, I'd still play the "optimal" pet spec, unless the difference was very small.

Then don't play a hunter. Easy fix. I can't see myself as a hunter w/o a pet. I tamed it not summoned it. He is my companion not my tool. I need him as he needs me. I don't' wanna be pet less per say but I'd like an ability where me and my pet fuses together or some weird shit and in transformed to look similar like my pet depending on what pet i did it with but only for a few seconds not permanent. That would be a cool ability, take out stampede and put in that.
    I want to have a child and use it as a pulling tool in dungeons.

Deleted
    would love it, hate that fucking pet.