Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its something that is done in other games just differently, I can be sent off to an 'area' to kill x collect x its just under 3 or 4 different quests all with in a very small area just because you accumulate those 3 or 4 quests in to 1 does not make it different, at least thats how i felt.
    I feel the quests are more purposeful though. I find many of the quests in WoW to lack purpose, like it makes no sense that they're telling me to do that thing. In GW2, you turn up on a farm, water crops, feed cows, get rid of pests, etc. You don't turn up in a farm and have some farmer ask you to retrieve 10 bear arses because why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I feel the quests are more purposeful though. I find many of the quests in WoW to lack purpose, like it makes no sense that they're telling me to do that thing. In GW2, you turn up on a farm, water crops, feed cows, get rid of pests, etc. You don't turn up in a farm and have some farmer ask you to retrieve 10 bear arses because why not.
    Really?! Come on man Look WoW's quests are no better generally in terms of meaning (but I think they have more variation and engagement) but your trying to tell me that just rocking up to somebody's farm and them yelling at you to do their job of feeding 10 cows is more purposeful than killing 10 dragons

Yeah... ok.

I think the guy was a little bit over-excited with the term "revolutionnize mmo's". Maybe he was looking for something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Reviews like these make me want to do one of my own. I dislike reviewers who refuse to list both pro's and con's.
    He does.... one of his pros was the artwork....Listen harder next time lol.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    Really?! Come on man Look WoW's quests are no better generally in terms of meaning (but I think they have more variation and engagement) but your trying to tell me that just rocking up to somebody's farm and them yelling at you to do their job of feeding 10 cows is more purposeful than killing 10 dragons
    His farm is also infested with huge worms. You can chose to fight them off, help him do his chores because hes frightened, or a little bit of everything.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    Except that if people actually take the time to experience the WHOLE world, you would find that your class story sends you through zones. You are a solider/helper/etc. If you talk to the NPCs with Scopes above their heads, they actually tell you what is going on in a specific area and that people need your help.

Not only that, but NPCs along the way and around the zone are talking about what is going on. Then you get there, and you can always talk to the Heart NPC to get the text short hand of what is happening. There are tons of people complaining that GW2 'questing' has no purpose or story.

Suffice to say, their 'opinions' are completely wrong and proven so by factual information of what is in the game.

I made the video. Someone sent me a PM via youtube linking to this thread. I'm going to say this here since I'm sure it got lost in a pile of comments on youtube.

Thanks to World of Warcraft's popularity, MMO development has stagnated since 2004. People who don't have a broad range of experience with video games tend to have a very simplistic outlook on MMOs that involves repetitive, dull gameplay (including action-bar combat and level-grinding). It's sad really, because it's not their fault. Nearly every company to release an MMO post-WoW try to copy its success. We're at the point of where Guild Wars 2 tried to deviate from the formula while still retaining the core aspects of WoW that makes it so dated.

MMOs need to evolve [I]beyond[I] the standard mindset of "we need thousands of hours of PvE gameplay, let's copy paste background scripts!". Guild Wars 2 doesn't accomplish this: It's a very well-polished MMO that's made WoW-style with a lot of features that make the experience more convenient for the player, but it's still heavily flawed at the core.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post

The only difference is that in other MMOs, when you talk to a NPC, he goes "oh kill boars bc of an infestation", "heal guys bc they are hurt from the war" and "lift crates to help the town". In Gwars, no reason is given at all. Hey I need help doing chores, get to work. Whatever you can do to fill the bar works ty!
    Ummm no. The difference is you don't have to travel half way across a zone to kill 10 boars and then run all the way back again to complete the quest. There is also a few things you can do to complete the same quest. You also don't have to compete with other players for any quest objectives. These are significant improvements. I can see you and Mr Monotone from the vid focus on the similarities rather than the differences tho.

A review by a guy who hates every mmo except wow does not like GW2? I am shocked....

For other MMO's that have come out, the trolls and nay sayers had some point and were correct. In this MMO every negative post/video really needs to stretch the truth and ignore other things to even come across as negative. It is analogous to the tricks FoxNews/MSNBC use to convince their opinions when they heavily edit sound bytes. To me that is the icing on the cake and complete affirmation that this game is doing it right! ANET got it right... Mission Acomplished ha-ha...
    Last edited by Eggoman; 2012-09-06 at 07:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no interest whatsoever in GW2. And even if i did, i doubt that this review would affect it in any way, because, well, it's unprofessional. You can't review an mmo based on mere 35 hours of gameplay, sorry.

Not sure if it's all true about all the other games he mentioned at start. One of my guildies playing Rift until MoP hits, and he loves it.

Ah, if only Age of Conan would be all i wanted it to be...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    Ummm no. The difference is you don't have to travel half way across a zone to kill 10 boars and then run all the way back again to complete the quest. There is also a few things you can do to complete the same quest. You also don't have to compete with other players for any quest objectives. These are significant improvements. I can see you and Mr Monotone from the vid focus on the similarities rather than the differences tho.

A review by a guy who hates every mmo except wow does not like GW2? I am shocked....
    Well tbh its not always the case I find quite often there are parts of quests that involve competeition, one that jumps out iswhere you have to crush spider eggs yet those eggs are rare and everyone just keeps running up and nicking them from you. They arent everywhere but it still happens, they failed to remove that completly.

And travelling across a zone is made easier by mounts, its hardly a long journey.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-09-06 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    " removed the endgame" wtf is this guy talkin about he have played 5% of the game and he needs to play way more than that to make a good review ..
    You can never make a good review since his own opinions will be in i
    "levelling in an mmo has never been fun" It's fun for some and i really enjoy levelling in gw2 again he speaks for himself
    "Removed most of the things in mmo that people enjoy" Where does he get this from?? is he some all known person??

also in the start wherre he point out all the "bad" mmo's his OWN opinions.. this guy should just shut up.. you can't make a review without it being on how YOU think the game is..
    You know that reviews are just opinions....right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched it about halfway but honestly couldn't take the settings he has it on. I think he has the gamma turned all the way down to make it as dark as possible and the graphics on the lowest possible settings.

I figure everything else he had to say was merely his opinion as there are millions of people playing and loving the game
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    You know that reviews are just opinions....right?
    There's a difference between objective and subjective opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I watched it about halfway but honestly couldn't take the settings he has it on. I think he has the gamma turned all the way down to make it as dark as possible and the graphics on the lowest possible settings.

I figure everything else he had to say was merely his opinion as there are millions of people playing and loving the game

Thats generally what reviews are yes :P

move along people nothing to see here but the usual trolls

The OP fails at objective listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    There's a difference between objective and subjective opinion.
    Yep. The difference is that a objective opinion doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vtaas View Post
    Yep. The difference is that a objective opinion doesn't exist.
    As a editor/writer for automotive magazine, i choose to disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by vtaas View Post
    I made the video. Someone sent me a PM via youtube linking to this thread. I'm going to say this here since I'm sure it got lost in a pile of comments on youtube.

Thanks to World of Warcraft's popularity, MMO development has stagnated since 2004. People who don't have a broad range of experience with video games tend to have a very simplistic outlook on MMOs that involves repetitive, dull gameplay (including action-bar combat and level-grinding). It's sad really, because it's not their fault. Nearly every company to release an MMO post-WoW try to copy its success. We're at the point of where Guild Wars 2 tried to deviate from the formula while still retaining the core aspects of WoW that makes it so dated.

MMOs need to evolve [I]beyond[I] the standard mindset of "we need thousands of hours of PvE gameplay, let's copy paste background scripts!". Guild Wars 2 doesn't accomplish this: It's a very well-polished MMO that's made WoW-style with a lot of features that make the experience more convenient for the player, but it's still heavily flawed at the core.
    Why? Most of us enjoy MMORPG's for the very reason that they are the way they are.

Certain things will naturally evolve, such as graphics and gameplay/combat and other such functions that naturally get better as technology does, but the things you are demanding evolve for the good of the genre are...well...it's like taking the crosshairs out of an FPS game in the name of avoiding "stagnation". They are just things that all MMORPG's (before WoW mind you) have basically implemented because it's what works. They aren't holding the genre back. They aren't holding the genre back in the same way that still using an on screen crosshair isn't holding back the FPS genre.

It's how it gets refined in the final product that counts.