10+ Year Old Account

Devolution, your thoughts?

I guess many of you seen a classic epic "Escape form LA", where Snake Pliskeen pulls the plug on the rest of the world in the end, literally.

What are your thoughts about such scenario in today's life?

I'm all for it, to be honest. Forget about education, about 9 to 17 work, about leisures and amenities of modern life. Just let me get my Saiga-12 out, and i will live and survive just fine. Imagine a world without Wall Street, without Internet and Apple (had to do that). Just you and the wild, and adventure ahead.

Wouldn't that be just grand?

That world is out there for you if you really want it.

We choose to live in society, but there are plenty of uninhabited areas even in the USA that a person could disappear in, and live off of the wild if he really wanted to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will stick to enjoying my internet and university education, thank you.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

I'll be honest and tell you I expected another Scottish 'rebellion' thread from our 3 resident devolutionist scots

Despite how things may look we do actually prosper more as a society.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-09-06 at 10:35 PM.

No I don't want to live in the wild, what is so great about living in the wild? There really is no benefit for me, all the interesting stuff can be done within a normal society during a leisure time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    That world is out there for you if you really want it.

We choose to live in society, but there are plenty of uninhabited areas even in the USA that a person could disappear in, and live off of the wild if he really wanted to.
    I see your point, but what i'm talking about is today's world reduced back to dark ages, basically. It's not that i wanna go out and be a armed hermit just now - i mean the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    I'll be honest and tell you I expected another Scottish 'rebellion' thread from our 3 resident devolutionist scots
    Lol so I wasn't the only one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Lol so I wasn't the only one!
    Eh, i must be missing sometihng, but whateve's.

Devolution, de-evolution, or backward evolution is the notion that a species can change into a more "primitive" form over time. Devolution presumes that there is a preferred hierarchy of structure and function, and that evolution must mean "progress" to "more advanced" organisms. This may include the idea that some modern species that have lost functions or complexity accordingly must be degenerate forms of their ancestors. It should be noted though, that according to the definition of evolution, what is described as devolution is its self evolution.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devolution_%28biology%29

Your title is misleading. I was thinking you meant the fact that stupid people have 7-10 kids and smart people are having 1.5 kids.

If you got rid of all technology like in Escape for LA people would be forced to learn to take care of themselves and it would get ugly very fast. Without the means of communication and transportation healthcare and feeding most people would become impossible. People would eventually "bounce back" and recreate civilization, but the loss of life would be huge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post

Despite how things may look we do actually prosper more as a society.
    Nah, I've been taking a break from the Independence debate, not much going on at the moment. Also to be accurate we'd be separatists, Scotland is already largely devolutionised from the UK. But yeah.

REBELLION!

Edit: On the subject of the actual thread, a world like that also leads to a world filled with diseases we can no longer cure, distances we can no longer effectively travel, I consider the view expressed to be a rather misplaced nostalgic view of how things used to be. On the flip side however, a world without the complete monotony of work?

Reasonably appealing.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2012-09-06 at 11:03 PM.

I'd say that such a life is made to look more appealing than it truly is in the media. If technology ceased to exist and we were placed back into the dark ages, it would likely end up being completely miserable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devolution_%28biology%29

Your title is misleading. I was thinking you meant the fact that stupid people have 7-10 kids and smart people are having 1.5 kids.

If you got rid of all technology like in Escape for LA people would be forced to learn to take care of themselves and it would get ugly very fast. Without the means of communication and transportation healthcare and feeding most people would become impossible. People would eventually "bounce back" and recreate civilization, but the loss of life would be huge.
    Woah, I was totally going to say that, but in a longer and a not quite as well worded post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wtf? People actually want every man for themselves? Jesus we first worlders sure are spoiled, eh?
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    I see your point, but what i'm talking about is today's world reduced back to dark ages, basically. It's not that i wanna go out and be a armed hermit just now - i mean the big picture.
    Yeah, no thanks. The Dark Ages was terrible. You can go join the Amish if you want.

Also that's nothing to do with devolution.