Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer keeps rebooting after installing new cpu fan.

Hey guys.

I just got my H70 Core CPU cooler in the mail, so went ahead an installed it to my cpu.
    Everything went smooth and I didn't have any problems installing it, but now my computer keeps rebooting all the time (It's on for like 1-2seconds, then reboots).

I got:
    MSI P67A-C45 MoBo
    i5-2500k CPU
    750W PSU
    HD Radeon 6870
    Two HDDs (7200rpm, or what its called)
    3x120mm fans + the two 120mm fans for the CPU cooling system I just installed
    4x4gb RAM.

I know it's hard to tell what's wrong with my computer by just reading this, but if anyone got a clue I would love a tip or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Did you plug the fans and the pump in to the correct headers on the motherboard? Does the computer give you an error message on the screen? Is thermal paste correctly applied?

All fans are connected to SYS_FAN, not quite sure where to put the CPU cooler (As it got 3 PIN holes, but the CPU_FAN Pin got 4 on the MoBo), but tried CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN, but didn't work in neither.
    The screen is total black.
    And yes, I put on new thermal paste and covered it all.
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Turn off "automatically reboot on error" on your system, and check what is causing it...thats the first step

And how would I do that? As I don't get any picture on my screen. As I mentioned - the computer is on for like 1-2 seconds then it reboots.

The fan from the radiator should have a 4 pin cable and plugs into the CPU_FAN header. The sleeved cable from the pump goes into your the SYS_FAN header. The pump needs to be at full power all the time, but the fan on the radiator can have variable speed.

the CPU_FAN position will look something like this:

..._
    |....|

connect the fan on the radiator to the pins opposite the plastic clip (coloured red) on CPU_FAN if it only has three pins and the power cable leading to the pump to the SYS_FAN connector.

On my Corsair H70 Core CPU water cooler system there is no 4 pin cables, only 3pins. Just dubble checked..

Is the cooler making proper contact with the cpu?

Did you plug in the radiator fan to the 3pin extension cable and the other 3 pin cable in the cpu fan header on your motherboard?

See the link below click Videos and it shows you how install it properly.

http://www.corsair.com/hydro-series-...pu-cooler.html

So I should connect one of the two fans on the radiator to CPU_FAN, and then the part that sits on the CPU to SYS_FAN?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    And how would I do that? As I don't get any picture on my screen. As I mentioned - the computer is on for like 1-2 seconds then it reboots.
    Ah so you dont get to enter Windows. Ok, then you are looking at some kind of hardware problem. Do you get past the POST ? Or do you get error beeps ?

Just follow the instructions that came with the H70 to the letter

10+ Year Old Account
    Either you plugged it into the wrong hole

or

You have too many fans, messed with some cables.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Is the cooler making proper contact with the cpu?

Did you plug in the radiator fan to the 3pin extension cable and the other 3 pin cable in the cpu fan header on your motherboard?

See the link below click Videos and it shows you how install it properly.

http://www.corsair.com/hydro-series-...pu-cooler.html
    Didn't know I was supposed to connect the radiator fans to the extension cable from the pump, but it didnt work.

I've tried everything you guys have said now, nothing works. Guess I've messed up... Tobad, as there is no way in hell I can afford a new computer as a broke student.

(And I don't got to many fans I guess, two in the front, one at the top and two at the radiator = 5 totalt, stil got some pins left on the motherboard.)

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Just follow the instructions that came with the H70 to the letter
    Not the best instructions I've seen. Everything it says about connection the fans/pump is: "Connect pump power to any available 3-pin fan header on the motherboard."

Plugging in the radiator fans to the pump allows the pump to control the fans. This is not required but rather optional. Up to you.

What's important is that the cooler is not lose and screwed in properly and held down by the brackets and also that the 3pin connector for the pump is plugged into the cpu fan header port on your motherboard (the 4 pin header). You plug in the 3pin cable from the pump in there and it should have a pin left uncovered. That's fine.

Maybe you seatted the wrong 3pins.

The cooler is as thight as it can get to the cpu, the power cable from the cooler is connected to the right 3 pins on the CPU_FAN (not like it's possible to get it wrong, because of the plastic tips..)

I'm giving up, and heading for bed. I have no idea what to do. I'll see if I can upload some pictures tomorrow, maybe that can help alitlebit if you guys can see what I've done.

Ok sounds like it's connected and mounted properly. Hopefully it's not faulty.

Deleted
    First, even if you had your cooler assembled incorrectly the CPU wouldn't make your pc reboot in 2 seconds, I'm guessing it would take longer or not even reboot at all but just slow down or hang.

Secondly, from my own MOBO (which is not the same as yours but might work simillarly) : If you don't have some fan connected to the CPU_FAN connector your PC will not start, giving you a "CPU FAN" error and depending on your bios it might or not reboot immediatly.

So, important thing here is : make sure your pump/fan connector is connected to the CPU_FAN! Check if its working properly (can you hear it/feel it?), and make sure you did not forget to plug in any other cables you might have unplugged in the process of swapping the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    On my Corsair H70 Core CPU water cooler system there is no 4 pin cables, only 3pins. Just dubble checked..
    That's right. Forgot that the H70 has 2 fans in push/pull on a splitter, so no PWM wire. There should be a fan splitter cable that comes with it to allow you to plug 2 radiator fans into a single fan header.

can you link or tell us what motherboard you have?
    Last edited by Dizey; 2012-09-07 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    That's right. Forgot that the H70 has 2 fans in push/pull on a splitter, so no PWM wire. There should be a fan splitter cable that comes with it to allow you to plug 2 radiator fans into a single fan header.

can you link or tell us what motherboard you have?
    Said so in the main post; MSI P67A-C45 MoBo : )

I'll try to upload a couple of pictures of how it's setup when I get home from school in 5-6 hours. And if you can't find anything I'll just re-assemble it all and see if I forgot something I dont notice while just looking down into the rig while everything is there. (I find it very fun to build rigs anyways, so I'll have a blast doing it ^^ I just get depressed when it dosn't work.... x])

And again, thanks for all the feedback here!