Page 1 of 8
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Will Gw2 become the "chill, hang around and inbetween games" mmorpg?

    This year, when i wasn't subbed for a mmorpg for the majority of it, i noticed how much i missed logging in and just hanging around for a while in a mmorpg, talking to some guildies and stuff.

    there weren't many, if any multiplayer games without subs that gave me a kind of "community feel".. until gw2.

    Do you think it will be the "golf meeting, starbucks or library of mmorpgs" ? i think it will

  2. #2
    High Overlord Awake709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    155
    This and more. The game is absolutely brilliant.

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    1,752
    I really don't mind if it becomes the only game I play neither I do if after finishing the storyline I stop playing, why?
    Because it has already payed out for me, some nice hours have been spent out on the game.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,299
    It is practically the only reason I bought it, so I'd hope so.
    http://www.heroicstrike.org/ - Goodnight, sweet prince

    Melee isn't awful for Challenge Modes; you are. Melee players are a liability for the windows of time in which a tank keeps an enemy mob faced towards them, resulting in an exorbitant loss of damage or death. Melee players are a liability for people who keep rooting mobs next to them. Melee are a liability to a healer that cannot heal.

  5. #5
    Agree. Already gotten my money out of it with only 40% map completion. Plus even after you wear yourself out in WvWvW after a while it will be fun to log on to smash down a keep and slaughter all the defenders every now and then.

  6. #6
    I do believe so.
    Got to level 80 recently and found out i've got nothing to do now. I did enjoy the leveling, exploring the areas and admiring the views. The game is beautiful, but the gameplay really lacks in my opinion. Extremely repetitive combat, dull pvp and lack of proper pve.

    It's definitely worth playing and worth the money though.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    I do believe so.
    Got to level 80 recently and found out i've got nothing to do now. I did enjoy the leveling, exploring the areas and admiring the views. The game is beautiful, but the gameplay really lacks in my opinion. Extremely repetitive combat, dull pvp and lack of proper pve.

    It's definitely worth playing and worth the money though.
    I haven't played it yet, but I get the feeling that your review will best fit my own expectations. Although I have a feeling that PvP will be better than dull. Can't say anything about the combat, but it's usually repetitive in any MMO you play.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    I haven't played it yet, but I get the feeling that your review will best fit my own expectations. Although I have a feeling that PvP will be better than dull. Can't say anything about the combat, but it's usually repetitive in any MMO you play.
    By dull i meant the sPvP mainly, which is several same-type battlegrounds which require you to capture and hold points. No CTF, no deathmatch, just capture the points. And my experience with wvw is just a mass zergfest with a lot of running involved.
    And there's no duels.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    I do believe so.
    Got to level 80 recently and found out i've got nothing to do now. I did enjoy the leveling, exploring the areas and admiring the views. The game is beautiful, but the gameplay really lacks in my opinion. Extremely repetitive combat, dull pvp and lack of proper pve.

    It's definitely worth playing and worth the money though.
    Did you do any of the dungeons? At all?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Redheal View Post
    Did you do any of the dungeons? At all?
    Yeah, i did AC,CM, SE, and TA, first 3 done in explorable as well.
    As i did state somewhere around here before - explorable CM was the worst dungeon experience in my MMO "career".

    I just don't feel like doing dungeons since a) they're artificially difficult, b) they don't reward you for you effort whatsoever, c) they take a lot of time, d) they're quite buggy, i guess. Overflow servers makes it impossible for your party to get into the same dungeon, if a player leaves the party - you won't be able to get a new member and continue it - you need to start from the beginning.
    and e) there is no competition. There are no damage meters, you don't get penaltized for failing - you can just graveyard zerg anything you want if you feel like it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Yeah, i did AC,CM, SE, and TA, first 3 done in explorable as well.
    As i did state somewhere around here before - explorable CM was the worst dungeon experience in my MMO "career".

    I just don't feel like doing dungeons since a) they're artificially difficult, b) they don't reward you for you effort whatsoever, c) they take a lot of time, d) they're quite buggy, i guess. Overflow servers makes it impossible for your party to get into the same dungeon, if a player leaves the party - you won't be able to get a new member and continue it - you need to start from the beginning.
    and e) there is no competition. There are no damage meters, you don't get penaltized for failing - you can just graveyard zerg anything you want if you feel like it.
    PvE competition is player made

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Redheal View Post
    PvE competition is player made
    Could you define that?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Could you define that?
    You're talking about PvE competition? right? Well that isn't made by the designers. It's made by the players unlike PvP where there are ladders

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Redheal View Post
    You're talking about PvE competition? right? Well that isn't made by the designers. It's made by the players unlike PvP where there are ladders
    It was originally made by players, however it became a core part of "modern pve", which is raiding, in games such as Rift and Wow, and i believe that current MMO's should follow that trend.
    I, amongst many others, want to see the game showing me that i am performing well, and possibly alternating my builds, rather than guessing which trait-build/weapon build makes me perform better.
    I won't even mention developer disability to make proper trait descriptions. "You deal damage when you roll", "Your damage is increased when your endurance isn't full". How do i know if those traits are worth it? With such inconsistencies in there the game can't be competitive, really.

  15. #15
    The Patient Stormkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    268
    GW2 means Gallon of water 2 hehehe

  16. #16
    Mechagnome calmsea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post
    GW2 means Gallon of water 2 hehehe
    How is that a joke?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Awake709 View Post
    This and more. The game is absolutely brilliant.
    I don't get it.. am I missing something? Why are people saying "GUILD WARS 2 IS AMAZING - BRILLIANT - CATASTROPHICALLY EXTRAVAGANT"

    I've been playing the game and It's good and its just fun to play with friends but I wouldn't call it such an amazing thing and a gift from god..
    Unless I'm missing some sort of secret only for elite players zone.. I really don't understand whats so amazing about it..
    Fun and Entertaining while I have nothing to do on WoW. Yes I agree.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    I don't get it.. am I missing something? Why are people saying "GUILD WARS 2 IS AMAZING - BRILLIANT - CATASTROPHICALLY EXTRAVAGANT"

    I've been playing the game and It's good and its just fun to play with friends but I wouldn't call it such an amazing thing and a gift from god..
    Unless I'm missing some sort of secret only for elite players zone.. I really don't understand whats so amazing about it..
    Fun and Entertaining while I have nothing to do on WoW. Yes I agree.
    Imo GW2 does everything better than WoW except for 5 man dungeons and raids. That is why I play GW2, the PvP is amazing, the PvE (non instanced) is amazing even the guild system that lets you be in more than 1 guild and cross server guilded is amazing because it lets you speak to all your friends. Oh yea and the cross server playing with friends out in the world is amazing too.

    GW2 can never be a WoW killer for many reasons but one of the big ones is that the instanced PvE is no where near the quality of WoWs (this is not up for debate!) but overall it is a great game and its buy to play.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    I don't get it.. am I missing something? Why are people saying "GUILD WARS 2 IS AMAZING - BRILLIANT - CATASTROPHICALLY EXTRAVAGANT"

    I've been playing the game and It's good and its just fun to play with friends but I wouldn't call it such an amazing thing and a gift from god..
    Unless I'm missing some sort of secret only for elite players zone.. I really don't understand whats so amazing about it..
    Fun and Entertaining while I have nothing to do on WoW. Yes I agree.
    It's the early on attitude. It'll all change once most people hit max level and realize that they're going to spend the majority of their time exploring the world and hoping shit happens. I will, at some point, buy and play the game, however I'll wait for the early shine to wear off and let the MMO jumpers and raiders leave. Of course, Storm Legion drops early November, so it's probably gonna be a while.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 10:28 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Imo GW2 does everything better than WoW except for 5 man dungeons and raids. That is why I play GW2, the PvP is amazing, the PvE (non instanced) is amazing even the guild system that lets you be in more than 1 guild and cross server guilded is amazing because it lets you speak to all your friends. Oh yea and the cross server playing with friends out in the world is amazing too.

    GW2 can never be a WoW killer for many reasons but one of the big ones is that the instanced PvE is no where near the quality of WoWs (this is not up for debate!) but overall it is a great game and its buy to play.
    The crafting grind is "better"? That's great, you can be in more than 1 guild. What difference does that make? It seems like such an insignificant thing to be excited about. And the cross server guilding makes no sense. In WoW you can speak to your friends through RealID. How is that any different? And who the hell makes friends on another server anyway? It just seems so odd to me.

    But the truth is the game is a PvP game with a little PvE sprinkled into it. I thought GW2 would be my new MMO after TOR failed on me, but once I saw that there was no such thing as raiding, I was done. A few 5 man dungeons just aren't enough to hold my attention and PvP is only fun for so long.

  20. #20
    I think we'll hold complex strategy meeting discussing how to defeat zhaitan.

    Such as "how to defeat zaitan when button #2 on our keyboard is broken" or "how to have your baby defeat zhaitan before he/she learns how to walk". That kind of stuff.


    Seriously though, I would suspect that this is going to be played in a single player style by most people, who will finish the game, and leave to never come back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •