Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #101
    Scarab Lord Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sowf Wails
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    It's ironic how you compare gw2 crafting and wow crafting.
    Funny how you can also max out a crafting profession in 1 hour in gw2.
    Funny how gw2 crafting professions give you jack shit, in comparison to that silly stat buff in wow.
    Did you miss the Legendaries? Most of the mats come from different Professions.

    To add to my post, I want to address the title/OP. I don't think Anet is worried if people leave or not, I actually think they were aiming for the casual drop in and out style of gameplay. After all they aren't making a lot of money from the average player so there's only costs associated with having a high number of concurrent users. They'll make money from the PvP events they'll run and people who like having vanity items and spend lots of money in the gem store.

    For me, I find I'm currently spending more time on it than I do on WoW. Of course when MoP is released, I'll be on WoW almost entirely at the start to level up, gear up and start raiding. As soon as everything's on farm and I don't need to spend much time in-game, I'll go back to messing around in GW2 + other games. Just like I did with the original Guild Wars.
    Last edited by Valarius; 2012-09-08 at 05:11 AM.

  2. #102
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,222
    I am playing it right now as an in-between/when I am bored of other games/when I am in the mood to play kind of game. I LOVE the game, but I have been really busy lately and the new WoW patch has gotten me raising up my Warrior and Lock. Two weeks from this coming Tuesday is MoP so I am going to try to get in as much GW2 as I can before that drops because I know once that hits I will be playing my RL Guildmates and my fiancee for quite some time before coming back. Mostly because she will make me play WoW with her >_>
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

  3. #103
    Scarab Lord slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    4,080
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's the early on attitude. It'll all change once most people hit max level and realize that they're going to spend the majority of their time exploring the world and hoping shit happens. I will, at some point, buy and play the game, however I'll wait for the early shine to wear off and let the MMO jumpers and raiders leave. Of course, Storm Legion drops early November, so it's probably gonna be a while.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 10:28 PM ----------



    The crafting grind is "better"? That's great, you can be in more than 1 guild. What difference does that make? It seems like such an insignificant thing to be excited about. And the cross server guilding makes no sense. In WoW you can speak to your friends through RealID. How is that any different? And who the hell makes friends on another server anyway? It just seems so odd to me.

    But the truth is the game is a PvP game with a little PvE sprinkled into it. I thought GW2 would be my new MMO after TOR failed on me, but once I saw that there was no such thing as raiding, I was done. A few 5 man dungeons just aren't enough to hold my attention and PvP is only fun for so long.


    Bolded part: I agree 100% - will be playing a quality product. The beta of GW2 was good enough for me.

  4. #104
    I was originally thinking it would be the case that I would play GW2 to fill the gap until the 25th but after playing it now from launch I'm starting to think I'm going to keep playing it and make it my main game. It's becoming increasing difficult to think about going back to old-school MMO ways when GW2 feels so fresh and different.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Seriously though, I would suspect that this is going to be played in a single player style by most people, who will finish the game, and leave to never come back.
    This happens in absolutely every single MMO ever created since the dawn of time... the most notable ones I can think of are SWTOR, Aion, Warhammer, Age of Conan, DC Universe Online, in fact I bet you have done this in more games than you played seriously.

    Millions did this in wow in vanilla, tbc, wotlk, and cata. In fact a lot more players quit upon reaching level cap than the number that progress into raiding or serious pvp.

    You might not believe this since everybody you know that played is in the group that continued playing (confirmation bias), but this is true and is the reason why blizzard constantly changed/nerfed the leveling experience, and added refer a friend.

  6. #106
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's the early on attitude. It'll all change once most people hit max level and realize that they're going to spend the majority of their time exploring the world and hoping shit happens.
    HOPING shit happens? You say that like it's HARD to find fun events!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Did you miss the Legendaries? Most of the mats come from different Professions.

    To add to my post, I want to address the title/OP. I don't think Anet is worried if people leave or not, I actually think they were aiming for the casual drop in and out style of gameplay. After all they aren't making a lot of money from the average player so there's only costs associated with having a high number of concurrent users. They'll make money from the PvP events they'll run and people who like having vanity items and spend lots of money in the gem store.

    For me, I find I'm currently spending more time on it than I do on WoW. Of course when MoP is released, I'll be on WoW almost entirely at the start to level up, gear up and start raiding. As soon as everything's on farm and I don't need to spend much time in-game, I'll go back to messing around in GW2 + other games. Just like I did with the original Guild Wars.
    Legendaries that are as good as a weapon worth 4g on Tp aside from the looks in which you need to invest 100+ hours of grinding mats in order to get it?
    Not sure if it's worth it.

  8. #108
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Legendaries that are as good as a weapon worth 4g on Tp aside from the looks in which you need to invest 100+ hours of grinding mats in order to get it?
    Not sure if it's worth it.
    In other words, you only care about statistical progression, and put no value into cosmetic rewards. Again, this is a matter of YOU not liking the design decisions behind this game.

    You prefer the kind of gameplay present in WoW, Rift, Warhammer, even the now-defunct City of Heroes. That's perfectly fine.

    That, however, does not mean that the design decisions in this game are bad or terrible - it just doesn't work for you. I personally can't stand those Madden football games that keep getting released by EA Sports, as I have absolutely no interest in sports in any fashion - yet there's still a whole sub-culture for people who spend hours upon hours playing those kinds of games, because THEY find joy in it.
    I'm not running around bashing on the sports sub-culture and trying to insult it. It's wiser to just recognize that it's not for me, while still recognizing that other people do enjoy it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    In other words, you only care about statistical progression, and put no value into cosmetic rewards. Again, this is a matter of YOU not liking the design decisions behind this game.

    You prefer the kind of gameplay present in WoW, Rift, Warhammer, even the now-defunct City of Heroes. That's perfectly fine.

    That, however, does not mean that the design decisions in this game are bad or terrible - it just doesn't work for you. I personally can't stand those Madden football games that keep getting released by EA Sports, as I have absolutely no interest in sports in any fashion - yet there's still a whole sub-culture for people who spend hours upon hours playing those kinds of games, because THEY find joy in it.
    I'm not running around bashing on the sports sub-culture and trying to insult it. It's wiser to just recognize that it's not for me, while still recognizing that other people do enjoy it.
    Yeah, i'm expressing my opinion, not trying to convince anyone that the game is bad. In fact, i'm arguing just because i want to like the "endgame" in this game, but i just can't, and hoping that one of the arguments could do just that.

  10. #110
    Dreadlord calmsea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    How is it not correct?
    You are seriously the ultimate Guild Wars 2 fan. I can't imagine spending as much time as you do talking about and/or defending a game, rather than actually playing it.

  11. #111
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    You are seriously the ultimate Guild Wars 2 fan. I can't imagine spending as much time as you do talking about and/or defending a game, rather than actually playing it.
    =\

    What is the constructive value in your post?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  12. #112
    Scarab Lord Tekkommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,148
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Funny how interpretations work though. I personally feel GW2 is less accessible for casual play
    Really?

    I think GW2 is designed to the very casual player and I'm sure they would admit that.

    The whole design layout screams casual.

    Don't confuse casual and difficult as well, as that's what you did. Plus the 5 mans in GW2 aren't hard.

  13. #113
    Sure, I'll be chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool, shooting some b-ball outside of the school !

  14. #114
    Grunt OtakuD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15
    So what sort of "cosmetic rewards" does this game offer, if I may ask? From the screenies on the character thread I dont see anything much but big @ss armour sets or is there cool stuff like costumes etc?

  15. #115
    Dreadlord calmsea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    =\

    What is the constructive value in your post?
    To point out the fact that you seem to be wearing rose tinted glasses. Not everyone is wrong all the time about video games. You state everything as fact, rather than opinion.

    To be a jerk for a second, where's the constructive value in the more than 13,000 posts you've made in less than 2 years?

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    To point out the fact that you seem to be wearing rose tinted glasses. Not everyone is wrong all the time about video games. You state everything as fact, rather than opinion.

    To be a jerk for a second, where's the constructive value in the more than 13,000 posts you've made in less than 2 years?
    Bwahah, this is so true, no denying. Drake is like fanboi nr 1 around here

    Asshatting aside, I'm pretty sure that GW2 is not going to be "the" MMO for me after WoW. Who knows, none might come ever again, it seems just that hopeless. Already had two "I'm going to quit" moments, after which I rerolled another class, again, but I see the end coming and I won't even have reached lvl 80. Much like SWTOR really, once the shine comes off, it turns out the gold was just a coating.

  17. #117
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    To point out the fact that you seem to be wearing rose tinted glasses. Not everyone is wrong all the time about video games. You state everything as fact, rather than opinion.

    To be a jerk for a second, where's the constructive value in the more than 13,000 posts you've made in less than 2 years?
    And again: saying things like that just plain isn't constructive. It contributes nothing to the thread, at all, and serves no purpose than to blatantly insult a member of the community that you hate entirely because of his post count, and the fact that he enjoys discussing a game that he plays. I don't run off into the SWTOR sub-forum and bash members of that community, or its game, just because I think it's a shitty game (and yes, I do think it is), or just because those members have ridiculously high post counts.

    There's also nothing involving rose-tinted glasses to objectively point out that GW2 has more content at max level than vanilla WoW did. The phrase "rose tinted glasses" doesn't even apply here, when you consider the simple fact that this game has only been out for two weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Bwahah, this is so true, no denying. Drake is like fanboi nr 1 around here
    If you've been "around here" long enough, you'd be extremely familiar with how much I hate the story writing of this game. "Asshatting," as you so accurately called it, is really not something that these forums need more of.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-08 at 05:58 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  18. #118
    Scarab Lord Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sowf Wails
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Legendaries that are as good as a weapon worth 4g on Tp aside from the looks in which you need to invest 100+ hours of grinding mats in order to get it?
    Not sure if it's worth it.
    And yet that's no better than grinding the BiS gear in WoW.

    You don't need it to progress *really* but you grind it out for the prestige of having it. Do people in BiS Dragon Soul gear really need that gear to level in MoP? No, I got it cos it's nice to have and shows that I've "finished" all the available end-game. It's the same thing in GW2, you don't need any particular items to keep playing but if you've completed your Legendary or collected a full set of Cultural/Dungeon armour, you've done it because you're either a completionist or a show-off or a bit of both.

    It's the same reason people go for achievements in 1 player games, or finish it 100% or collect the absolute best gear possible in an RPG. None of it really matters and you can get through the game without doing any of that stuff. GW2 appeals to the completionists, it has no carrot on a string to make you feel obliged to do XYZ like WoW does by offering power increases with each new tier.

    If cosmetics or exploration or 100% completion isn't your thing that's a legit way to play; do your storyline, maybe roll another class to try out their storyline and a different faction, try out PvP etc. You've gotten your money's worth by playing it as a single player RPG anyway. The upside is there's no downside to coming back from time to time to check out new changes.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    And again: saying things like that just plain isn't constructive. It contributes nothing to the thread, at all, and serves no purpose than to blatantly insult a member of the community that you hate entirely because of his post count, and the fact that he enjoys discussing a game that he plays.

    There's also nothing involving rose-tinted glasses to objectively point out that GW2 has more content at max level than vanilla WoW did. The phrase "rose tinted glasses" doesn't even apply here, when you consider the simple fact that this game has only been out for two weeks.
    Dude, not to rain on your parade, but you can have rose tinted glasses about an icecream that lasted as long as it took you to eat it. It's not really defined in terms of time. That said, Cosmetics vs actual gear in end-game content is a tough cookie. WoW vanilla had their first dungeon set after a month or two, but it also took people a little more time to level. Raids were introduced shortly after. Even without those blue sets, most dungeons provided upgrades and therefore incentive. Cosmetics are not an incentive. At least, not for me, nor for a whole lot of people I know. They're filler content. They don't matter. It's just fluff.

    I also always wonder what a completionist is. I've never, ever, understood people that want all the pokemon, all the achievements, all the minipets, because apart from the pokemon, it doesn't add gameplay value.

  20. #120
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    You all realize that by "more content at max level" I'm referring to the fact that you can realistically do anything and everything anywhere in the game, and are not specifically restricted to max level content to get the good stuff, right? I can't go run Maraudon for max level gear, in WoW.

    By virtue of that single fact, it has more max level content, objectively. Whether or not you VALUE that form of content is another subjective story entirely.


    Also: rose tinted glasses refers to looking back at something you once did, and now can't do, or on something that has changed, and remembering it more fondly than you actually enjoyed at the time. Such as looking back at vanilla WoW and claiming it was way better than anything we currently have in Cata/MoP.

    There's nothing rose-tinted about looking at the game I am currently playing, and commenting on it's current state. What I am being told is that I am wearing rose-tinted glasses, in saying "Holy crap, Mists of Pandaria's leveling content is fun as hell" which simply does not match the meaning of the phrase.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-08 at 06:07 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •