Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    he said "for years" and I doubt he only ment TBC, damage meters werent even that popular back then.
    You're wrong mate. DPS lived for recount from early TBC already. Just saying, don't assume anything about him. For that matter, mages have been overpowered for quite some time as well. Especially in modern content. Anyway, back to GW2, merely talking about wow makes me feel queasy

its a good filler. As in, if it were not free I certainly would not pay for it. I treat it like LOTRO. When I get bored with better games I will come play this now instead of LOTRO. It certainly is pretty but so were many Korean MMOs I have been through. The difference is that I don't have to pay a monthly fee.

I don't think its going to be some mystical meeting place in cyberspace. Come back in six months and lets see how well the game holds up post Christmas holiday season. People were talking just like you were about SWTOR and look where it went, which many as well predicted. Don't get me wrong, this game is good, but its not a great one.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    its a good filler. As in, if it were not free I certainly would not pay for it. I treat it like LOTRO. When I get bored with better games I will come play this now instead of LOTRO. It certainly is pretty but so were many Korean MMOs I have been through. The difference is that I don't have to pay a monthly fee.

I don't think its going to be some mystical meeting place in cyberspace. Come back in six months and lets see how well the game holds up post Christmas holiday season. People were talking just like you were about SWTOR and look where it went, which many as well predicted. Don't get me wrong, this game is good, but its not a great one.
    Honestly thats what arena net was aiming for, an mmo to play alongside your favourite sub based mmo. For some like me it will be their main mmo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toinouze View Post
    How can you say that?
    I really don't understand, I feel like i miss something in this game, some people are so in love with it.

I find this game enjoyable at max, and only when there are a lot of events and people around me, otherwise it's meh, for me.

Please tell me what i'm missing...
    It's quite simple... People just like different things?

And on topic; No not a filler for me. Dont really play 24/7 so GW2 is all I need atm.

I've seen the following thing said quite a bit on these fora:

"I'll play GW2 on the sides, when I'm not raiding"

I guess you'll be spending way more time in GW2 then, making wow your 'side-game' and practically making GW2 your main mmo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    You're wrong mate. DPS lived for recount from early TBC already. Just saying, don't assume anything about him. For that matter, mages have been overpowered for quite some time as well. Especially in modern content. Anyway, back to GW2, merely talking about wow makes me feel queasy
    well maybe, I won't argue, since it was so many years ago, but I as a tank personally never used it, I also don't recall all this:
    -anyone with recount?
    -link dps please
    or just spamming dps after every boss fight like it was in Wrath and Cata.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    a) they're artificially difficult
    In what way? (If you mean getting one shot, that is the point, it is like EQ (originally) stuff hits hard)

b) they don't reward you for you effort whatsoever
    The reward is fun, if you aren't having fun with the gameplay, then why play the game? Always makes me chuckle that some people play games to give them "rewards" for non-existant pixels despite the fact that they have got to the stage that farming dungeon xxx is actually an absolute bore for them, it is a game, not a job.

d) they're quite buggy, i guess.
    I've yet to play a an MMO where dungeons aren't buggy on release, it is better to judge a game on how quickly / do they ever fix the bugs.

There are no damage meters
    Which is a good thing and also would be even more useless in GW2 than most MMOs given the class design.

GW2 is in the cathegory ... I have spare time, let's play something. Same as LoL or Dota2 for that matter. WoW is in the category I have to sacrifice 2-3 nights a week to play this game. It's good to have options.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It kinda is my tie-over/in between stuff mmo and I don't regret it. Right now it ties me over up until MoP and it will become more of a side thing (or less, depending on MoP's entertainment value of course)
    I don't mind, I'm glad it's a game I enjoy playing so much right now.

Taranee - lvl 90 Blood Elf Warlock - EU Dragonblight

I think it's got that EXACT feel.

No Sub-Fee, so much to do ... For me it's just the MMO I have been looking for as a "Downtime" MMO. When I'm feeling burnt out from WoW, and I want a change of pace, I could easily see myself playing GW2 over the weekend instead of WoW and just chilling out, running a few dungeons, getting into a bunch of Dynamic events ETC.

It's quite a brilliantly done Casual game. You can just walk around aimlessly and have fun, it feels like that's what they were going for with GW2 and for me it has succeeded at that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    he said "for years" and I doubt he only ment TBC, damage meters werent even that popular back then.
    The beauty of B2P is that I don't have to choose, I can both play WoW and GW2 and only pay for one. Initially I expected to only play GW2 and drop my sub on WoW but now I'm not so sure that I will be content with only GW2 after I ding 80 considering the limited endgame but as I said I can play both for the cost of one sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    It's quite a brilliantly done Casual game. You can just walk around aimlessly and have fun, it feels like that's what they were going for with GW2 and for me it has succeeded at that!
    Funny how interpretations work though. I personally feel GW2 is less accessible for casual play, due to the depth of its branches; dungeons, crafting, pvp, etc... GW2 might be too hard for wow's casual players and not 'grindy' enough for wow's hardcore players. I really wonder how this will pan out.

If what you say proves to be true for most players, the outcome might be very interesting, considering that wow's casual community consists of more than 90% of its player-base. Final Fantasy XI comes to mind, which had a minuscule player-base, due to the fact that it had an (almost) non-existent 'casual' one. I wonder...

Yeah, i did AC,CM, SE, and TA, first 3 done in explorable as well.
    As i did state somewhere around here before - explorable CM was the worst dungeon experience in my MMO "career".

I just don't feel like doing dungeons since a) they're artificially difficult, b) they don't reward you for you effort whatsoever, c) they take a lot of time, d) they're quite buggy, i guess. Overflow servers makes it impossible for your party to get into the same dungeon, if a player leaves the party - you won't be able to get a new member and continue it - you need to start from the beginning.
    and e) there is no competition. There are no damage meters, you don't get penaltized for failing - you can just graveyard zerg anything you want if you feel like it.
    The general theory the best I can tell here is the "pve endgame" is supposed to be the open world dyanmic stuff. The instanced content is essentially tacked onto the game. No serious pve raiding guild is playing GW2 full time.

I'm talking to my gaming real life friends more everyday now, I'm hoping to meet more...

Deleted
    Nah, GW2 = Rift without the endgame. Bored after 5 days. Will i log in to look at the pwetty sights.... Nah.

I think the appeal of this game will drop MASSIVELY when the population of low-level zones subsides a bit and people will stop being able to finish half of the DEs due to lack of players. Until then, yes, the game's pretty good.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    But the truth is the game is a PvP game with a little PvE sprinkled into it. I thought GW2 would be my new MMO after TOR failed on me, but once I saw that there was no such thing as raiding, I was done. A few 5 man dungeons just aren't enough to hold my attention and PvP is only fun for so long.
    I am enjoying it. I have got more value out of it than most single player games and I've only explored 11% of the map. I'm just chilling, doing each and every area, hanging around to see what events I may have missed.

So, as the OP asks - "do you think it will be the hangout game?" and yes, I think it will be. You don't pay a monthly sub, so why on earth would it not be?

I've also have been subbed to Rift since launch and I will be buying Storm Legion soon as well. I don't think people who tried Rift v1.0 realize just how far, and how much content has been added in 1.5 years to the game. Definately the only mmo worth subbing to at the moment - imho.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I think the appeal of this game will drop MASSIVELY when the population of low-level zones subsides a bit and people will stop being able to finish half of the DEs due to lack of players. Until then, yes, the game's pretty good.
    This I agree with, but I suspect the will lower the difficulty to make these more accessible - when it happens.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-09-07 at 02:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i plan on buying it around febuary if it sounds like anyone is still playing. Hoping it will be an mmo with good graphics that i can just dick around in while running my auctions on wow. Cant imagine il be chatting much in it though, only one of my friends has bought it so far.

it`s a good game.
    Won`t last.
    WoW offers competitive pve and pvp content at much higher quality and quantity

Quote Originally Posted by banyentertainment View Post
    it`s a good game.
    Won`t last.
    WoW offers competitive pve and pvp content at much higher quality and quantity
    That pvp comment is complete bullshit and you know it. The game is clearly weak on pve because of the lack of goals in pve or any type of competitive raiding, but even I admit the pvp is done correctly.