Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Your mother and your brother have serious issues. Your mother should be stopping your brother from mistreating animals, and your brother shouldn't be mistreating animals to begin with. It seems as though they don't understand that animals can feel pain. It is sickening to read this story on so many levels. I have had many, many pets, and guess how many I have killed? None. Pets shouldn't be dying from abuse. You guys shouldn't have pets if you can't keep them alive. It's not even like they are being neglected, they are actually being abused, injured, and killed. Pets are generally considered part of the family, so if this is how your family treats each other than I really feel bad for you and your situation. Please don't buy or adopt anymore pets until your family can learn not to kill them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds a lot like your brother has some mild issues (possibly autism, or a social disconnect), where he doesn't understand what hurting people/things means. It could just be that he's kind of a dick, and 10 years old. I should note that behaviour like that, at that age, does NOT imply sociopathy. He probably doesn't even recognize what he's doing.

Regardless, it sounds like your family has to deal with him having issues, and they realize its a problem, but it might be ignored because he's family. Maybe they can't afford therapy. It could be a lot of things, but you aren't there, and don't have to deal with the day to day stress. It's one thing to recognize issues, it's another thing entirely to have to live and deal with it. Maybe they just don't want yet another person telling them stuff they already know.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-09-07 at 03:24 AM.

Your brother didn't kill your dog.............................gravity did....fucking bitch that she is.

Ot sorry to hear about your dog
    READ and be less Ignorant.

It sounds like your brother needs a lot of help and so does your Mom. Please don't misinterpret what I am saying, I am not trying to sound mean when saying this.

For example,

She ends up calling me back, almost in tears, saying how I don't understand what they're going through, and saying a bunch of bullshit comments about how she's not a bad parent, and that I couldn't possibly be saying this

She is doing the wrong thing and making this about herself. In her mind having to get your brother help means that she did something wrong and she simply can't / wont deal with it. In reality the only thing that is making her a "bad parent" is not being able to look outside herself and deal with things.

It isn't easy to make people see their own mistakes and selfishness, But when it comes down to it your brother needs to see a psychologist for his anger / violence issues and your mother probably needs to see a therapist to help her not be so worried about her "self image".

In some cases violence against animals at a young age can indicate bad things for people when they get older. It is very importent to deal with this as soon as possible.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2012-09-07 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I can't stand people like you. This is why so many dogs are put down every year. People don't understand the commitment. As for your brother someone should do the same thing to him that he did to that poor dog. Your family should not EVER be able to own ANY animal not even a goldfish.
    Firstly, get off your high horse.

If you're a family who isn't well off and afford their own digs, sometimes the lease says "No pets" and there's nothing you can do about it.

If your younglings beg you non-stop to rescue some poor animal off the side of the road, some people don't have the power to say no.

Unfortunately, your family's need for shelter is top priority. It's a sad truth, but realistically, that's the economy we live in.

OT: Going to your Dad was a good choice. Going to your mom directly thereafter is a bad choice. There's no tactfulness there. Letting your dad bring it up would've been the smart option.

The good part is, that unless your mother's completely irrational now, your father, assuming he agrees with you even somewhat, should smooth over some of the mess for you. The bad part is, your brother probably won't be going to therapy now that your mother's dug her heels in.

Deleted
    Your brother has serious problems, you said he's been treating your pets rough in the past, hence you having to give them away, I'd be really worried about this, it kinda shows that he doesn't care about what he's doing. Either that, or he may just be a bit slow in the head (think Lenny from 'Of Mice and Men')

If he's 10 years old, then he should know the difference between right and wrong, and he should know that throwing a dog off a bunk bed is a really stupid thing to do.

If what you are saying is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then you are absolutely right in your feelings about your brother. He DOES need therapy. Cruelty to animals at a young age is a VERY serious sign, especially since he is going to puberty. It shows a serious lack of empathy for other beings.

I hope you can work this out with your family. Try giving them a little space for now, and revisiting the subject when it is not so recent and sore. Disregard your older sister, and deal directly with your parents, face to face, when they are more reasonable and the incident has had some time to settle.

Hope you can figure out this intervention. Try not to let this go.
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like he needs some counseling at least. Does he break his toys as well?

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand people like you. This is why so many dogs are put down every year. People don't understand the commitment. As for your brother someone should do the same thing to him that he did to that poor dog. Your family should not EVER be able to own ANY animal not even a goldfish.
    You're turning this personal towards someone who obviously doesn't agree with how things are going. Don't blame the OP for things that are out of their control, you're not helping.

On topic, if this is a repeat incident, some sort of talking needs to happen to your brother. Whether it's you, your parents, a professional, someone needs to get the point across that this is not okay.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Does he feel emotion about it? That's important, if he feels no emotion he needs some serious help and fast.
    Even then he could "pretend" emotion by simply copying what the others feel like around him. If you ask me get the kid help fast.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Wow, I can't stand when people treat their animals like that regardless of age.
    When I have kids and if one of them treats an animal like this I will go crazy on them.
    This should of been dealt with years ago before it got to this point.

I am sorry to hear of your situation.
    Perhaps your parents will come around?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It sounds a lot like your brother has some mild issues (possibly autism, or a social disconnect), where he doesn't understand what hurting people/things means. It could just be that he's kind of a dick, and 10 years old. I should note that behaviour like that, at that age, does NOT imply sociopathy. He probably doesn't even recognize what he's doing.

Regardless, it sounds like your family has to deal with him having issues, and they realize its a problem, but it might be ignored because he's family. Maybe they can't afford therapy. It could be a lot of things, but you aren't there, and don't have to deal with the day to day stress. It's one thing to recognize issues, it's another thing entirely to have to live and deal with it. Maybe they just don't want yet another person telling them stuff they already know.
    You might be right Chazus....but this kid is 10...and apparently has had dogs around all his life. And if you ask me this is the perfect age to watch kids very, very closely about everything....
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

TBH I think your mom will be one of those women who 20 years from now is like "I never new my son was a serial killer, He was just the nicest boy ever...."

But it may have all just been an accident. The only way you can tell for sure would be if any more "accidents" happen of you find a bunch of dead animals around the house or in his room.

Even if it was an accident tho it might be good to get him therapy incase he was traumatized by it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Firstly, get off your high horse.

If you're a family who isn't well off and afford their own digs, sometimes the lease says "No pets" and there's nothing you can do about it.

If your younglings beg you non-stop to rescue some poor animal off the side of the road, some people don't have the power to say no.

Unfortunately, your family's need for shelter is top priority. It's a sad truth, but realistically, that's the economy we live in.

OT: Going to your Dad was a good choice. Going to your mom directly thereafter is a bad choice. There's no tactfulness there. Letting your dad bring it up would've been the smart option.

The good part is, that unless your mother's completely irrational now, your father, assuming he agrees with you even somewhat, should smooth over some of the mess for you. The bad part is, your brother probably won't be going to therapy now that your mother's dug her heels in.
    So since your poor its ok to kill animals? Maybe since your poor don't take on a responsibility you can't handle. I am far from being on a high horse but I think it's disgusting that people will just get rid of a dog. When you are about to rescue,adopt or buy that puppy remember it will live 10-15 years and needs you. If you are poor then you don't have a dog. Being poor is no excuse.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 03:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eis View Post
    You're turning this personal towards someone who obviously doesn't agree with how things are going. Don't blame the OP for things that are out of their control, you're not helping.

On topic, if this is a repeat incident, some sort of talking needs to happen to your brother. Whether it's you, your parents, a professional, someone needs to get the point across that this is not okay.
    Not adopting a dog you clearly can't care for is out of their control? What if it was a human? Then would you understand how I feel?

So since your poor its ok to kill animals? Maybe since your poor don't take on a responsibility you can't handle. I am far from being on a high horse but I think it's disgusting that people will just get rid of a dog. When you are about to rescue,adopt or buy that puppy remember it will live 10-15 years and needs you. If you are poor then you don't have a dog. Being poor is no excuse.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 03:43 AM ----------

Not adopting a dog you clearly can't care for is out of their control? What if it was a human? Then would you understand how I feel?
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you. We shouldn't have gotten most of the dogs we've had to give away. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have. Not saying I didn't like the dogs we had, I loved each of them to death, but getting a dog you can't realistically keep is cruel to both the dog, and your family, who grows attached to it.

At the same time though, none of us can tell the future, we didn't know our situation would change, or that the things that happened did. Not saying that's a justification, just giving a little insight.
    If I can't be the sex symbol, then I can definitely be the BITCH

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Your brother needs serious help, your mom is in denial that he has issues because she thinks she is a bad mother if anybody has issues. Even if it isnt her fault. If your brother has a history of intentionally donkey kicking anything living, they need help. Seriously, at 10 years old he should realize that this is a living breathing creature and it is not acceptable.
    Yes, your 10 year old brother is crazed. At 10 all his impulsive behavior should have vanished and he should be making logical, and empathetic decisions 100% of the time.

It is clear he is a sociopath and you must contact all sorts of different governmental officials to help this crazed 10 year old psychopath.

Seven billion people and no young child has ever mistreated an animal. Call the United Nations, call Amnesty International!!!

Oh, and your brother didn't kill the dog, the vet did, probably because your parent's didn't want to pay for the dogs recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Yes, your 10 year old brother is crazed. At 10 all his impulsive behavior should have vanished and he should be making logical, and empathetic decisions 100% of the time.

It is clear he is a sociopath and you must contact all sorts of different governmental officials to help this crazed 10 year old psychopath.

Seven billion people and no young child has ever mistreated an animal. Call the United Nations, call Amnesty International!!!

Oh, and your brother didn't kill the dog, the vet did, probably because your parent's didn't want to pay for the dogs recovery.
    You're exaggerating the point most people are making past the point of absurdity, making fun of it, then shifting the blame elsewhere. That type of bullshit argument has a name, I don't remember it though. Anyone help me out?

10+ Year Old Account
    He's the baby of all your siblings, no matter what, even if it's clearly evident and on-going, in a Mothers eyes he can do no wrong. I also come from a large family where the youngest is treated really very differently than the rest of us, almost makes you feel like the enemy for taking issue with something that is clearly not right, being a family member makes it all much more difficult to put across and is almost always likely to cause pointless drama, that for some reason or another, never really seems to fade from memory.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Your brother sounds fine to me. Hell I've done worse to animals as a kid and I think I've turned out ok. If you're that worried about it, try to get your mother to take him to see a psychiatrist. They will be able to tell you whether or not he has issues or is just being a kid.

15+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR - Your family are idiots, sorry. It's anyone's right not to care, of course, but if I were you, I'd punch the little bastard each time he hurts an animal just so that he knows what he causes to other living beings. Not that I blame you (I actually blame your parents).